Is there any need for a pre-flight safety briefing from cabin crew?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

• FrDougal
    Participant

“3. There is now an announcement on BA saying the video has not been updated… (that’s really very reassuring)”

Ah now in fairness. The rule literally changed overnight. The bit that hasn’t been updated is the bit that says it’s now permitted to use PEDs for take off and landing and a full PA also explains the policy so nothing to feel un assured about!!!

canucklad
    Participant

Martyn @ 21.29

Spot on!!

And as I said on another topic, if an airline is not going to take my safety seriously, then I will choose another airline.

Pandering to the ignorant masses, as you’ve said above will ultimately end in an avoidable tragedy.

And BA’s management decisions regarding this matter are at this point in time, In my opinion demonstrating corporate criminality if not at the very least insanity!

And this from a company that suffered Manchester !

Stowage222
    Participant

BigDog – I take your point! On the basis that the aircraft has to be emptied in under 90 seconds there is no way the crew will be doing a hand baggage check before allowing entry onto the slide.

However, a little tip to you all if you survive an emergency landing and use the chutes – during preparations, pop your phone and house/car keys in your pocket as you’re unlikely to see your luggage for a while – assuming it survived too.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Stowage222

Linking BigDogs post to mine, didn’t know about the Phoenix evacuation or the duty free bottles.

Personally, I would have prosecuted those passengers who had left with their duty free, under the law that endangers other peoples life’s!

Now the link to my post, a prosecution would only have been successful if it could be proven that BA demonstrated due diligence in regard to the pre-flight safety brief.

If Phoenix happened today, and I was lacerated , due to the laissez faire culture mentioned above, I would have no hesitation at all at instructing my lawyers to sue BA’s management for criminal negligence!

And i would add, it wouldn’t be too long before this policy was reversed

Hermes1964
    Participant

The de-emphasis of the importance of pre-flight briefing has “accident waiting to happen” screaming from the page.

As many posters may be aware, Cranfield University in the UK has a world leading safety faculty which has undertaken significant research on passenger behaviour in aircraft emergencies, in particular following the Manchester disaster, where investigators needed to understand why evacuation within 90 seconds had not been possible.

Professor Helen Muir, who established a reputation as a leading authority looked at the behaviour of more than 20,000 people in various experiments, and their insights led to changes,
    including training in assertive behaviour for cabin crew and redesigned exits.

As a result of those studies Professor Muir pointed to the importance of passenger knowledge: apparently it’s the people who actually listen to the safety briefing before take- off who tend to survive.

As the industry has this information at its disposal, why would any airline would take steps to lesson the likelihood that even one passenger might understand potentially life-saving procedures?

It’s a no-brainer – I just don’t get it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The majority of posts are in favour of a continuation of a safety briefing. My question is more about how the safety information can be given to passengers on the basis that airlines are basically saying there is no need to listen or watch a video unless you want to..

What are the new options for a safety briefing. The Air New Zealand version still retains the pre flight video and whilst I am sure it gets the attention of the alpha male – women may require a revised version…

Perhaps safety video’s should be continuously screened on a loop system from boarding to t/o..

Should the boarding gate video’s show safety briefings rather than a news programme…

Perhaps new in cabin signage…..

or… in 2014… is it time to assume we all know how to exit in an emergency (which clearly is not the case).

Changes are inevitable – all I am very concerned about are airlines ditching the current safety briefing, but NOT replacing it with anything new to ensure passengers know what to do in an emergency… which undoubtedly will cause additional CASUALTIES!!!

canucklad
    Participant

A few of my ideas

1) For people who actively indulge in ignoring the safety brief, the cabin crew covertly note their details; pass them on to reservations and the next time they fly, aisle seats are off limits to them! = behavioural change
    2) The safety briefing is actually read by the cockpit crew, thus adding gravitas, and the cc supervise passenger compliance = respecting authority
    3) Shock tactics, rather than drawings, real life evacuations, such as Phoenix, lacerations and all. = cause and affect

Generally, I would try and educate people to get them to understand that their selfish behaviour could cost lives !

Stowage222
    Participant

PatJordan
    Participant

A little short on detail, but of some relevance to this thread:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/man-kicked-off-londonbound-flight-30014007.html

SimonS1
    Participant

Canucklad

1. Impractical – there are not enough cabin crew to be snooping around in that way and aren’t they in their positions during the demo. Besides why should people be banned for doing what they are perfectly (and legally) entitled to do?

2. Impractical – safety demo is given after pushback when everyone is belted in. Cockpit crew have enough to do on the taxi. We would be the first to moan if for example they buried the wing tip in a nearby building.

3. Impractical – young kids on flights don’t really need to exposed to that type of thing thanks. Besides I’m not really convinced it would stop people trying to take valuables and hand baggage with them – didn’t Phoenix take place before the new arrangements were in place?

I’m afraid on this one the genie is out of the bottle, gate to gate use of personal devices is allowed. Personally I don’t agree with it, however we are where we are unfortunately.

JeffD
    Participant

What is the purpose of Cabin crew ?? are they simply there to feed and water us, NO they have a key role to play in our safety. Who is going to extingish the fire in the toilet after the idiot breaks the law and smokes and hides his cigarette butt in the waste paper bin ?. Who is going to ensure as many passengers as possible escape the the emergency slides are deployed ?

I fly regularly and make a point of watching the safety briefing even if I have flown on the aircraft type already that day. I am pleased to say that I have seen BA cabin crew asking passengers to remove headphones during the briefing. On a evening flight recently there was a large group of somewhat excited passengers, the CSM stopped the briefing and asked the passengers to pay attention. So while I appreciate that all flights are different, I am concerned that BA are being given some really bad press here.

Long may cabin crew be there to look after my safety and ensure that all passengers have a good safety briefing.

Robzlon
    Participant

Interesting how MartinSinclair and others interpret the use of personal headphones and devices ( ipad/kindle etc) during the safety demo.

BA now allow passengers the use of their own headphones when plugged into the inflight entertainment, which is now switched on from boarding to disembarkation. However, when the safety demo plays, all films and music stop, and the safety video starts.

Passengers should not be watching their own films or listening to music on their own devices at this time, and the cabin crew are correct in asking these customers to remove their headsets.

The safety demo is a fundamental part of the journey. I watch it whenever I travel. If you choose not to, more fool you.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ Robzlon – “Passengers should not be watching their own films or listening to music on their own devices at this time”

I have not seen or heard one cabin crew member or flight deck crew able, willing or wanting to ensure that a passenger takes off personal headphones….

What would be helpful from a passengers point of view, bearing in mind Pat Jordans post is for at least One World and Star A to come out in unison regarding the safety briefing…. at least then passengers may know which airlines take the passenger safety briefing seriously…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I was on a BA-OPERATED flight (don’t know who owned the airframe – but it didn’t have euroconverter seats) at the weekend and the flight crew specifically asked that headphones be removed before they played the safety briefing.

On a separate note – I hate euroconverter seats which I find quite uncomfortable in CE – but at least you do get more personal space. Although the first few rows of seats on this aircraft had more legroom, the business class “cabin” extended so far down the plane that about half the CE pax had exactly the same legroom as I did down the back – and no additional width because the seats were all fixed size – which means that the only additional space was because the middle seat was empty. Since the lounge was heaving (so much so that when the girls left for their own flight I decamped to the SWISS lounge using my Priority Pass card) I really suspect that the poor saps didn’t get much extra value for their money!

canucklad
    Participant

Another factor to take into account here.

On Martyn’s point …..” I have not seen or heard one cabin crew member or flight deck crew able, willing or wanting to ensure that a passenger takes off personal headphones “

On the train at the weekend, and not for the first time, I found myself sitting next to a totally ignorant individual who was intent on blasting his eardrums into space.

I was about to ask that he turn the volume down a tad, when an elderly lady politely requested that he do the same due to the song content !

Thankfully I didn’t ask, his response to the elderly lady was rude, as he proclaimed his right to do what he wants as he had at least paid the full fare.

If I had asked, I fear the police might have been called !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls