Is Business Class serious?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• Hazardmain
    Participant

Darknight – I dont know what is the point of your complaint. Do people not working in”business class” offend you in some way? If they are not working at 1am in a dark and quiet aircraft do you feel the need to judge them? Maybe they have already done their work and are resting as they have a meeting as soon as they land, or have just finished a long and punishing trip and they are on their final leg home? For me, I travel business class for all my leisure travel as it is more comfortable and relaxed than economy. Have you looked at me as a time waster? I don’t really care as I have probably looked up from my vapid pixar movie and, seeing you swotting away for 12 hours in the dark thought “Poor A type bugger” Have a rest man.

robseptic
    Participant

Folks, “Business” Class is all about space. If i could get a biz class seat without all the ‘gourmet’ meals, movies, etc. at a reasonable price i would gladly do so. We are paying for space. It would be nice to have some peace and quiet to go along with that.

flyGIRL
    Participant

What about those unfortunate people travelling on business whose employers make them fly economy….?

http://www.lauramathew.blogspot.com

northseatiger
    Participant

Dark Knight –
    I have often come across this kind of narrow minded opinion with regards to the “type” of people who should travel in the forward end of the plane. I still for the life of me cannot fathom why anyone would use time and energy to concern themselves with what other people are doing. You take a left when boarding if you have the money to do so, and the last thing I think about is who is sitting there and what do they think of me, or my kids for that matter or am I suitably attired to be in such esteemed company? You pay more for a bigger seat, better conditions and plenty of free wine because you can, not because you want to be “in the club”. All I can say is, try the Pixar film next time, sample the wine and forget about everybody else. I am sure you will arrive feeling just as good as if you had sat there for 10 hours fumbling with FT, reading emails & spreadsheets.

SILENTSCOUSER
    Participant

mr/miss Darknight
    Really you need to get life , your fellow buisness class passengers do not automatically get given this privellage to travel , in some cases its working for many years and hours to have this . Also leaving ones loved ones behind is very hard , so a little relaxation or power nap is not to be judged on , We all work hard , no matter in a plane or office ….you need to get a reality check my freind , you are not the only one who has to work hard

CaliforniaDreaming
    Participant

Hey Dark Knight,

Since I do not ever go to the movies, I love catching up on slightly stale movies in business and first class. I may have a glass of champagne or wine while I am watching a movie. I do not have a belly, but I do trudge around in hotel slippers that I will leave on the plane (please, Singapore/Emirates, do not send the slippers to my home!).

I like hearing kids on a plane; it brings a smile to my face, because it brings humanity to the impersonal air bus that we are forced to spend inordinate amount of time in.

I think you would benefit from a little more relaxation and less worrying about others.

BusinessClass
    Participant

Why should I not watch a film or two with a few too many glasses of wine when I am on holiday?

TheDarkKnight
    Participant

I think you have all answered the question – Is Business Class serious? It obviously isn’t but do you all protest too much?

j.ph.fco
    Participant

If for you business class is, therefore, not serious, fly First class or even better: private jet. There’s no better (serious?) way to fly! trust me.

excessbaggage
    Participant

For me it depends on whether we’re talking about a daytime flight or a night time one. If i was travelling in business overnight i’d expect peace and quiet, as i would be sleeping rather than trying to work. On a daytine flight however you have to expect a bit of noise – we’re all human after all.

AlexanderJ
    Participant

I normally do my work in the lounge and then use the time in the air to relax and think about things.

A glass of wine, a film and some food are a brilliant way to wind down and I know that if I’d just solidly worked throughout a 10 hour flight I’d be in no mood for my meetings or to go back to the office – I’d want to go home and sleep!

I pay for the extra space, decent food and passable service that Business Class brings.

When I use it for holidays I am paying for the fact I dont want to be cramped in economy.

I work all hours of the day when I’m not travelling, 8-14 hours in an aircraft, with no phone going off and no emails flying in… its pure heaven!

city_hopper
    Participant

I have many business class clients that I regularly look after and most of them say the same… this is their time to relax in time for what ever purpose they maybe travelling for, they make full use of the level of comfort on offer. Its not just this, the dedicated check-in, the fast track through immigration, chauffer service, club lounges, and the x-amount of hours away from the Mrs! Ironically the “business class experience” is alot of the time used as a opportunity to take some time off from work….

Chopper
    Participant

If you’ve paid for the ticket you can do what you want, as long as it does not harm anyone else.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I have often sat & observed the same, but it caries on which continent, Airline, routes for sure.
    On European flights, i find it quite amusing when Business people (now in economy), have to get out their laptops, use their Berrys, & cant turn the phone off on board, rush to stand up before the plane reaches the stand, then wait in the corridor for 8 minutes!

Much of it is insecure, competative pretentious behaviour, “look at me” Attention seeking nonsense. Hardly a good sign if you can’t sit on a 40 minute flight without organising some space & time without yr equipment.
    However, there are many people like myself, who arrange our time, plan our work, & simply enjoy our long haul travel. It is a time to relax, enjoy some space & no hassle time. It is also respectful to others around not to take up their space, create noise, so its about respect , courtesy, also.
    Some business people appear to make no effort in how they dress!
    Its one thing to have smart jeans a shirt etc & be informal, its another to wear dirty jeans, sandals, shorts!
    then again, they are not paying their fares, so they tend not to value them.

Others like myself, pay for my own fares & choose premium travel when i fly long haul, always make an effort, have never been refused lounge access due to my clothes.
    Crews will tell you, that you will be looked after, if you reflect the effort & environment made on Board, hence some travellers behave how they dress.
    Needless to say, Many on Board Premium classes these days may well not be travelling on business these days anyhow…!

luckyone
    Participant

I must admit this forum is rather amusing noting the whinging of some “business” people. Either you have nothing better to do than read this blog and contribute pretending it’s work surfing the net or you’re lucky as me, working for myself. 1) All biz travellers I know don’t scramble around with their gadgets as time on the plane is mainly for rest or catching up with the whatever movie that’s supposably “new” or news & sports. 2) If I can well afford to travel in biz or 1st with my little niece/nephews why not? with a maid in economy. As long as they are not disturbing other passengers I do not see it as a problem. Mostly I find children are happy with cartoons and games and as little babies from 6mo, they’re “well trained”. 3) Nothing is wrong with wearing smart casual afterall who wants to travel to look nice in long-haul? Afterall, what’s in my pocket has nothing to do with

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls