Is Business Class serious?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• judynagy
    Participant

I’m also bothered by slobs up front. Not sure why, but I wish they would look a little neater. I must have a higher opinion of well dressed people over those that look like they just came off the beach. Maybe I worry about the slobs being uncouth. The advice to wear natural fiber clothing is pretty funny – arrive looking like you slept in your clothes? Have some respect for the Customs guys! Today’s clothing comes in all kinds of decent fabric, no need to be a mass of wrinkles. I can wear a pair of Virgin Atlantic jammies with a nice scarf plus jewelry and look just fine. I fly up front for the wiggle room and the quiet. I rarely hesitate to tell people to pipe down if they’re talking too loudly. My husband nearly fainted when I informed a monster football player that he couldn’t make that much noise, but I always say it sweetly. I’m never without an MP3 and if I can still hear them over the music, they get admonished. I enjoy working and reading more than movies and hardly ever am able to sleep on the plane. I’ve been fortunate to not share the cabin with any ill-behaved children, what a nightmare. Basically, there are alot of people like me who get bored if we don’t entertain ourselves, I like projects that last for hours so the flying time goes by faster as I race to complete my work. The food and drink is just a nice little distraction, tho I must say that the food is nearly edible in first class on USA based airplanes now, so that’s another hour’s distraction.

IvaTicket
    Participant

I was in business class when the two men in front of me took off their jeans in front of the whole cabin (and changed into tracksuits). I thought wow they really do feel comfortable in business class to be parading around in their boxers. Some people see the cabin as a cosy place to sleep and be pampered. I don’t think that is wrong but I would rather not see two men strip in front of me when am trying to work or watch a film.

PilotAddict
    Participant

There is an arrogance to those who deliberately dress down up front. It’s saying “look how used to this I am”. It’s like the celebs who talk cockney to try and be cool and keep in with everyone. Try hard. Business class is serious. But not THAT serious!

viking01
    Participant

On my commuter train in the morning, some people do their make-up, some eat breakfast, and some cut their finger nails. They may feel comfortable, but they make everyone else feel uncomfortable, and so are still rude.

judynagy
    Participant

Wow, I’ve done all those things in public – I think clipping your TOEnails would be rude, but makeup, food and grooming??? Seems quite acceptable to me. But I live in California so we are outside the judgemental behaviour realm I think.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Some judgement, not to say consideration for others, is never a bad thing.

I have seen people clipping toenails both on the tube and on buses in London (on the Upper Deck, as well!!). Truly gobsmacking.

I even witnessed some nail clipping in the F lounge last January; not ten feet away from a loo which would have been a far better place for such an activity.

Inquisitive
    Participant

There nothing wrong different people behave differently in business class as long as they maintain the acceptable social norms. Stripping in front of others or clipping nails or talking to a collegue/partner loudly or calling relatives from economy and sharing goodies can not be condoned. Having said that most of the passengers I have seen display quite gentlemenly/womenly behavior. As for seriousness is concerned, I do not think one has to work with a laptop in business class to show seriousness. The advantage of modern business class is many facilities are available to suit almost everybody’s need. I am sure many like me, use the quite time to think, make small notes or relax to prepare for the meeting/work ahead and in the return trip indulge in movies and good wines (probably a bit more number of glasses.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls