Hygiene issues on Cathay Pacific

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

A used/uncleaned blanket on a bed that someone else has used DOES bother me.

I am a little more relaxed on an aeroplane………

samuel95
    Participant

“SQ provides this on all seats in all classes on all sectors whether it’s leaving SG or a foreign port.”

Are you 100% sure that this is the case with SQ?

Just a simple Google search reveals this comment:
    “Flew Singapore Airlines, got a pillow with blood stains on it, looked like someone squeezed a zit – complained and got another dirty one back…..”
    http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/dirty-blankets-re-used-by-china-southern-airlines-laundry-workers-claim/story-e6frfq80-1226093065793

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

A personal Travel Comfort blanket/pillow-set is the way to go as It puts you in control.

Clean and safe travels.

RichHI1
    Participant

Agree Chinaman, other option is to fly BA first. Their cabins are so overheated that blankets and bedding are totally redundant.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Rich: Apart from the cleaniness, there is the question of over-heating during the flight as I am often get woken up by the trapped heat/ sweating common with airline blankets and duvets.

I know silk keeps the body warm and fresh (not hot) and it allows better breathing of the body while in a sleeping mode.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I’m with Henkel, re-use of a blanket would not bother me at all if it was not soiled. That said, I can’t remember the last time I used one. Even with PJs on I find the cabin very warm and never need to be covered up. The only exception there has ever been was a couple of flights I did last year on Scandinavian CPH-BKK where the cabin was really cool and I did need a blanket, it was a very refreshing change!

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

ToyotaBoy – I don’t fly as frequently with SQ as i do with CX, but whenever i’m on their flight, whatever the destination, i always see a blanket (wrapped up) on the seat (F, J or Y). I will ask SQ the next time i attend one of their PPS events.

All – Got off another regional CX flight and got more clarity from their inflight supervisor:

1. Recycling of blankets onboard CX regional flights (ie 8 hr or less) is a standard and accepted practice within CX

2. You are more likely to get a recycled blanket on return legs to HK, particularly those with a stop in between

3. CX management (right from the CEO) is of the view that recycling blankets is an industry norm, and while CX doesn’t aim to be the industry best, they think that their practices exceeds the industry average (not sure how they reached this conclusion, but would give them benefit of doubt)

4. At their regular meetings with CX management, inflight supervisors have fedback passengers’ negative views on recycled blankets to senior management, so they are aware, and have chosen not to make the change for the better (at least for now)

5. Recycling blankets is (surprise surprise) driven by cost rationalization. I don’t accept this since CX J class tickets are at a level which is comparable to the industry’s best airlines (SQ for example); i can’t help feeling “ripped off”

6. CX wants to differentiate itself from its competition with “service from the heart;” as in the quality of its crew. Anecdotally, it appears (although i can’t independently confirm) that hardware is (slightly) less important, although fly on one of their “green monsters” and you’d probably feel the same way

My thoughts?

I think that good onboard hygiene is a basic act of service and should be available to all passengers in all classes. Personally, I rather management look at other means to cut cost… I can’t accept that hygeine and public health is being compromised for the bottom line.

Seems like all we can take out from this is “buyers beware.” Next time you plonk down top dollar for a CX ticket, particularly the premium classes (which is among the highest in the industry), just be aware that you may not be getting what you thought you would. If cost is really the reason, then it appears the J class ticket price is insufficient to allow CX to provide you with clean blankets….

RichHI1
    Participant

CWT-CXDM understand your reasoning. What is your position on seat and bed sanitization / cleaning on aircraft. Do you think a brush and a quick vacuum is OK or should seats particularly sleeper seats be sanitized between every flight?

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

Rich, I’ll live with a vacumn and a brush. It all boils down to what one expects is “reasonable” for an airline to do. Providing pre-packed blankets to all passengers on all sectors, in my view, is something that can be achieved reasonably. Other airlines have done it, again I point to SQ, so I dont see why CX cannot. If it’s a matter of cost, then again I don’t find CX tickets particularly cheaper than SQ (at least on the SIN-HKG routes).

Well, I think it is more reasonable to expect a clean blanket on board than a deep cleaned seat. Much as I’d like them to do so, it probably isn’t practical. That said, would you agree that a fabric seat traps more dirt than a leather seat. I don’t have any empirical proof to back this up, but if so, the SQ leather seats in business / first / suites may be easier to clean and sanitize.

Much as I like flying with CX, they do go out of their way to take care of their members (I wished SQ did the same, you had to be TPP status to get a similar level of recognition as a CX GO), I still feel strongly that management should listen to passenger feedback and I believe that it is not an unreasonable request. Hence the post in the forum, plus also to promote public awareness, so people are aware (despite my weekly flights with CX for the last 7 years, I was still shocked to find out about recycled blankets)

RichHI1
    Participant

CWT-CXDM, this is hard one for me. I once caught a nasty infection from a BA first class flight so I tend to have as little direct skin or hair contact with seats as possible. Leaher migh provide some benefits but as long as there are stitching holes or creases there are issues. I believe in some case, there are little pests that would find navigating leather seats easier than fabric.
    I know people who carry ultra violet wands for sanitization and I have to admit on certain flights I take a small 100% DEET spray on board. I guess you could take disnfectant sprays too.
    At one point do you start to resemble Howard Hughes though? And I don’t mean owning an Airlilne…

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

Rich, I feel for you mate. There was a recent incident involving a BA flight from LHR to LAX where there were bed bugs in the seat! The poor lady got bitten and I think sued BA for damages. I generally avoid BA if I can help it. Just two weeks ago, I flew BA business from LHR to JFK and it was a forgettable experience. I am sure I’d be equally apprehensive if I had a nasty infection from the flight. I try to lay a duvet as a mattress and use another duvet as a blanket on long haul. On regional flights, i think I’ll stop bothering if I get issued with recycle blankets. It’s like you are sandwiched in filth!

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

Got a formal reply from CX and they said that blankets should not be reused or recycled and sufficient clean stock should be made available for all sectors. They have Notified the relevant department and investigating the laspe.

wendaustin
    Participant

In my opinion the blankets and other stuffs should not be recycled and completely hygienic things should be made available for the passengers. Furthermore, Flights and other traveling means should undergo pest management once in a weak.
    Even I’d got bed bugs in my room, but thankfully launched complaint against them at http://www.positivepest.net and got rid of them.

greats.greatp.
    Participant

Actually, American based airlines are even like using the same blankets for a few days. lol. Cathay’s approach is actually rather acceptable, I mean like, this policy is for intra-Asia runs. This means that these blankets need to be washed after being used 3~4 hours. This is completely bad to the environment. Plus, even being washed, the blanket is actually as dirty as before, IIRC, according to some studies on onboard hygiene worldwide I had came across/

AussieJohn
    Participant

I don’t fly very often, and certainly not up the front sadly. However, I do fly with my own blanket and pillow.

I picked up a small lightweight polar fleece blanket at a discount department store for about $A7.00 a couple of years ago. It is probably just a throw rug for sitting watching TV, but is perfect for flying. Folds or rolls up into a small bundle. I also have an Air Asia blanket, I purchased on one of their flights.

My pillow came from a camping store. It compresses down to a small bundle, and is about the size of an airline pillow. Got a friend to make a pillow slip for it.

I have also recently purchased a self inflating pillow from an outdoor/camping store. It was on special at a good price. Not tried this yet, but is lightweight, rolls up quite small, and depending on my carry on, might work ok. If nothing else, It will provide lumbar support, or a bit of height for those excessively soft and non-supportive pillows most hotels seem to have.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls