Hygiene issues on Cathay Pacific

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Tom: I hate to admit that you are right in saying that the hygienic habits of their passengers in general are somewhat higher in CX front cabin than the rear.

That’s the real world! Education and knowledge do help.

TominScotland
    Participant

Flying Chinaman, please don’t admit anything of the sort. My comment was intended as purely tongue in cheek. The reuse of blankets in any class is not something that has ever occurred to me before and, frankly, will make me think twice about using blankets at all on inbound legs with any airline!!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I use my own outerwear for travelling comfort!

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

Thanks for the responses.

My point is simpy that the provision of clean blankets is a basic expectation for a full service airline, not to mention that this is business class we are talking about. SQ provides this on all seats in all classes on all sectors whether it’s leaving SG or a foreign port. Cathay’s tickets are comparable in price to that of SQ; so it seems to me that this is a case of poor judgment. I can live with the flintstone seats and ancient IFE (that always has some technical issue – its your lucky day if those IFE’s on the regional planes work without any problems) on CX’s regional planes (fondly dubbed by people as the “green monster”), but if I have to use somebody else’s used blanket after paying for a j class ticket, can’t help feeling that I’m being taken for a ride here (pun unintended). Carrying sufficient clean blankets is not a big ask (unlike steam cleaning the carpets after every flight) it’s only fair, at the very least for public health reasons

RichHI1
    Participant

I think a major point here is CX admit to repacking. It is not an uncommon practice when they run out, not all airlines will admit to it when it happens.

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

Has there been a public admission by CX? I never seen that before and would love to see how CX puts that across. Will be grateful if you could point me in the right direction

RichHI1
    Participant

I Referred to your original post. I doubt re-issuing blankets is policy on any carrier, I also doubt there is an airline where it has never happened. Whether it has been made clear it was a re-use is a separate issue.
    There was a big row over this in US some years back and as a result sealed plastic bags are used to identify any repacking on plane. I should observe i find BA planes too hot and seldom use the covers, i have had requests from Cabin crew if they can take my blanket as a passenger is feeling cold. Luckily I did not have pig or bird flu…

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

Oh yes. I would say the cabin crew was decent enough to inform the passenger. Clearly it’s management issue of not putting enough blankets on planes or arranging for a stock to be available at each foreign port. The inflight supervisor was embarassed but there was not much she could have done. It a matter that CX management needs to address transparently.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

CWT-CXDM:- I agreed with you that ideally airlines should provide adequate CLEAN and UNUSED blankets to ALL their passengers.

That was the norm for all airlines before the escalating world oil prices.

Many airlines have removed pillows and blankets on shorter REGIONAL flights to conserve fuel.

There is another thread right now on this forum discussing ways to reduce motoring petrol consumption by half filled gas tank and tossing out all the unwanted rubbish in the car boot (trunk) to achieve such result.

I personally view this as a good thing to help to conserve exhaustible resources and rest assured you are not going to catch any deadly diseases from the recycled blankets.

Has any airline ever published or warning their passengers in writing on the practice of reusable blankets?

Cathay would be the world’s first to do so!

Your suggestion to Cathay of keeping a stock of clean blankets is a good idea but it must strike a sensible balance without wasting energy..

RichHI1
    Participant

If it worries you then this is a solution for small outlay.

http://www.travelessentials.com/Yala-Airline-Comfort-Set-Travel-Blanket-Eye-Shade-Pillowcase.aspx

Pasted as example there are many suppliers, good thing here is it packs small for carry on.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Rich: I’ve heard of this travel product but now seeing the real items.

I much prefer using a cheerfully coloured personal silk blanket/pillow cover over those unispiring and drab-looking airline blankets/quilts.

Clean travel for all!!

FirstFleeter35
    Participant

I have found all sorts in hotels on my travels, fleas in beds, somebody’s nightdress in the bed (so the bedding obviously hadnt been changed), a large fresh bloodstain on a towel, and what appeared to be a pubic hair in a coffee cup! Plus many unclean rooms and all in well known hotel chains. Dont even get me started about aircraft!

SteveJohnsonIn0z
    Participant

I am with those who do not want to be haring a blanket with some stranger. Imagine somebody with a cold or cough having snuggled up in the blanket and then coughing or sneezing on it, even wiping their nose a bit. And yes of course that happens! Yuck!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I think I’m alone on this one but as long as it wasn’t soiled, a blanket that someone else had used would not bother me. It’s no different to sitting on a seat and they are only wiped and vacuumed between flights.

That said, I’ve never been offered one on any airline that was not wrapped in plastic. I can understand though that less are carried on short-haul and I think that is reasonable when after all, most people do not want one. I guess whether you are prepared to reuse one depends on how cold you are!

RichHI1
    Participant

I am amazed how many people do not understand what happens away from public gaze in the hospitality industries (including long haul aviation).
    Everyone prefers clean fresh items but is what hou get what you think? All
    Reminds me of advice to tip Well in restaurant if you plan to return 🙂 that way you get no extras.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls