Hygiene issues on Cathay Pacific

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

• Anonymous

CWT-CXDM
    Participant

I flew on CX716 from Singapore to Hong Kong on 1 April in business class. The cabin crew quickly ran out of blankets as loading was rather heavy. When I asked for a blanket, I was offered a “used” blanket from the earlier sector. I was shocked to know that blankets were ring recycled without being laundered. This is clearly a public health issue as germs and diseases can be spread if body fluid from previous passener was on the blanket. In any event, why can’t CX carry sufficient clean blankets for all it’s passengers?

To add further unhappiness on the flight. Many channels on their inflight entertainment weren’t working.

Would Cathay management please comment? I am worried about how hygienic the inflight amenities (blankets and pillows) really are!

Limchan99
    Participant

I read from a Cathay Pacific flight attendant’s blog about the problem of blankets and pillows.

All of the blankets departing from Hong Kong are washed and repacked. However, most of the blankets departing from other countries are usually just repacked. Unless the blanket is especially dirty, it won’t be laundered. One time, a passenger found cockroaches in his blanket.

Also, blankets and pillows are usually not sufficient for all the passengers unless it is a medium-haul and long-haul flight.

I hope this information could give you a better view of Cathay Pacific.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Most international hotels tend to use duvets, the covers (sheets) which are changed daily.

However, I often wonder what happens to bed blankets, i.e. those beds that are made up of bottom and top sheet, PLUS blankets. I know these are not changed on a daily basis, if at all.

One of those things that either one has to close ones eyes to or change establishements, if it worries you.

RichHI1
    Participant

This has been an issue with a number of airlines. One has to Put things in perspective though. First class suites are not sanitized with deep steam cleaning after every segment. Carpets in hotels are not steam cleaned and sanitized between guests. Only flights to certain countries are sprayed for bugs. When you sit on a bench to watch sports or sit on the grass for a picnic it is not sanitized. Don’t get me started on what is in the sea at beaches when people go swimming…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich, obviously a subject close to your heart.

If a hotel uses old fashioned blankets, I tend never to go back.

One thing sharing an aircraft seat, a patch of grass or sand but its something else to share a blanket, in bed with a stranger.

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn I always request fresh bedding in hotels, partly for hygiene and partly as I have an extreme feather allergy (anaphylaxis). Whilst I presume sheets and pillows are laundered I always view blankets and duvets on planes with suspicion. I have friends in US who carry roll up travel blanket and pillows for planes. I even know someone who takes a mini pack sleeping bag to isolate themselves crom hotel bedding. They forget bugs crawl, jump and fly. I also always keep the air on 60F during the day in hotels as it upsets the mosquitos.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

CWT-CXDM: Germs can only spread on FRESH and WET body fluid! A well-known medical fact as they can not survive once out of the human body for long. (We had those AIDS-toilet seats scares before!)

I am not endorsing such practice but if there were several hours in-between another usage, the chance of an infection is minimal UNLESS you see a wet stain!

Happy fearless flying!!!

RichHI1
    Participant

Hi Chinaman, good to see your post. Bacteria and Viruses need moisture to survive but creepy crawlies, bed bugs, lice, mosquitos, fleas all survive quite happily. Not everywhere is blessed with geckos.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Hi Rich: May be I should keep a miniture geckos in my match box for travel!!

RichHI1
    Participant

Oh yes do! The gecko is my aumakua. I get followed by them in Hawaii. They do wonderful work. The good thing about aircraft bins is they get cold in flight so if you take a couple of hours to eat and watch a
    Movie, a combination of cold and a vigorous shake of the blanket should do the necessary but I would not rub it against my skin.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Rich: I shall definately take my biological defense weapon with me!

BTW, I rarely use airline blankets as I tend to take and slip my own resting/sleeping outer-wear when I feel cold.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Its not just about infections and viruses on hotel blankets.

G-d only knows what may have happened on the blanket the night before.

How often do hotels clean woollen blankets, surely not daily?

RichHI1
    Participant

Starwood are always amenable to change all bedding.

If you are interested in what happened yeaterday I trcommend looking for
    Footprints on the armoire..

Whilst on thw subject of Hotels I always take sanitizer
    For the TV remote, they are proven to carry more bugs than any bedding (even though you normally don’t see liquid on them. They really are nasty. A couple of sanitizer towels works wonders.

TominScotland
    Participant

I think the real point is that First and Business Class passengers on Cathay are always 100% hygienic in their habits so there is no issue with re-using blankets, pillows, hot towels, cutlery etc. Now, if we were talking Economy Class, that might be somewhat different.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls