How to Jump the Heathrow Immigration Mess

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• Martin63
    Participant

I flew in from Zurich 2 weeks ago (T1) and Amsterdam last week (T4) and there were major queues on both occasions. 2 weeks ago Iris was working at T1 but not at T4 last week. Annoying as it’s a good service, I find it incredible that BAA are stopping Iris after the Olympics.

SimonS1
    Participant

“Bill that is a really sick idea. No parent would ever do such a thing by putting there children in danger.”

Sense of humour left in the passport queue at Heathrow it appears.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My son (12) on reading Bill’s comment asked “how much could I get”!

HongKongLady
    Participant

Not sure families with children get priority, so may not be worth borrowing one… ha ha this is purely a joke.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I have seen at more than one airport in the US special “family” lanes for security – don’t remember if they were at immigration as well.

I deplore people who abuse the wheelchair service, but to the point of another poster who suggested that passengers who need wheelchairs would have their own I would make a few points – first, not all wheelchairs will fit on ramps or through airport gates, second (as another poster mentions) people who are partially mobile may not need wheelchairs at home, because they run their lives in such a way that they do not need to walk long distances or stand for long periods of time whereas they do need them at airports, and third the relevant issue may be temporary (illness or injury) so that they don’t own a wheelchair

My wife and I have both been unlucky enough to fall into the third category (though I missed out on the excitement she had of being cranked up into the plane on one of those telescopic trucks and loaded through the service door!) Elderly passengers are particularly likely to fall into the second category, a good example being my mother-in-law who flew out here a few years ago on THAI – knowing that the transits in Bangkok can involve incredibly long walks we arranged a buggy service because, even though she is actually quite fit, we were concerned that after a 12-hour flight it could just be too much for her. That could just as easily have ended up being in a wheelchair rather than a buggy. Mind you, she was transiting, so she didn’t jump any immigration queue!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Thanks everyone for putting me straight on the wheelchair issue.

Papillion53
    Participant

Mr LP@03:20

Chip off the old block??? LOL !

Did you get dates booked at a certain golfing establishment? Don’t want to say too much in case “the Child” is reading this as well!! 😉 :-)!!!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

BTW in the better-run airports, wheelchairs can be a distinct disadvantage. I came into HKG on more than one occasion in a wheelchair and immigation took an age. I did offer to get out of the wheelchair to go through the e-gates using my ID card (I was primarily using crutches, so it wouldn’t have been hard) but they wouldn’t have any of it and insisted that I remain in the wheelchair and be processed manually. Infuriating…

HongKongLady
    Participant

Yes I can imagine a wheelchair would slow you down at HK. ID card and automated gates… how great they are. Maybe London could have them for UK passport holders.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hopefully this whole issue in the UK is a temporary one – and the discussion about wheelchair use and abuse will soon be irrelevant as far as UKBA is concerned.

I also hope the US immigration manage to reduce their Q’s. I know some people think I have something against the US system, I dont, except for the Q’s (which have been going on for far longer than the current mess in London.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Papillion, I’m working on dates, flights etc. mrs. LP very keen and will tell boys when all booked. I hear Sunday lunch is excellent there as well.

Apologies to other posters for temporarily going off topic.

no7agency
    Participant

Arrived at Gatwick Airport 6pm Friday and spent 78mins in line waiting to clear passport control. I arrived from Alicante and hold a UK British Passport.

SurreyTraveller01
    Participant

Wish Iris gates were still available

Shearer
    Participant

Heathrow by Invitation has been on the go for years and also includes a limo across the tarmac to the steps of the ‘plane.

First with the news Daily Mail!

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

No 7…and spent 78mins in line waiting …

so much for the new Wonderful Gatwick Airport?

Maybe you had such a good suntan..eh….also agree re IRIS …best ever

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls