How to Jump the Heathrow Immigration Mess

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich – “Private Aircraft” – don’t think you would get a jet at £1800 per hour but certainly a Turbo Prop twin.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Travel with a small child, airport staff who supervise the lines (if any) will pull you out and take you to the front (this happen to a friend recently) or get the airline to supply you with a wheelchair (for a small fee) at the gate with a chaperone and they take you to the front of a queue.

BTBAsccm
    Participant

I recently had a customer request a wheelchair in order to jump immigration queues. He was perfectly fit and able. Wheelchair assistance, I believe, should be reserved for those customers with reduced mobility, and not for those who think themselves too important to queue.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Very sadly, I too have witnessed in the USA, a wheelchair being requested, purely to avoid the immigration Q’s. The airlines should note whether wheelchairs are being requested on departure as well as arrival.

Bill_Hants
    Participant

There’s obviously a business opportunity for someone with a lot of small children to “lend” them out for a suitable fee.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Bill that is a really sick idea. No parent would ever do such a thing by putting there children in danger.

I am really surprised the airlines have a wheelchair service. You would have thought that anyone who would really need a wheelchair would already have one and not need the airline to supply them.

Papillion53
    Participant

Beckyboop

We have friends who are arriving from the US soon, and she has fused ankles which means she is mobile but has problems standing for any length of time, so in this case, although she is not a wheelchair user, she would not be able to cope if there were queues of any length to get through immigration, so I am sure she will arrange to have help and either the airline will provide a wheelchair or a ride on one of those “golf buggies”.

She certainly is not doing it to queue jump and I think people who do are just downright selfish.

Bill_Hants
    Participant

Becks/VK

Ever heard of irony?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Unfortunately, the law is on the side of the Q jumpers. I believe that anyone is allowed to request a wheelchair and the airlines, quite rightly I hasten to add, are not allowed to charge.

nashersc
    Participant

The Windsor Suite is capacity constrained as well, so they would effectively turn away people based on volumes per hour already booked in. Originally reserved for diplomats and VIPS etc the BAA extended it last year to CIP’s to make a buck. They are even asking th airlines to promote it to their customers. Not all that luxurious a lounge, you are purely paying for express “private” security.

LeTigre
    Participant

I heard that you only get sandwiches and tea.

Luxury indeed!

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

As long as they cut the crusts off and the tea is Earl Grey.

LeTigre
    Participant

Don’t you just love Twining’s…I was admiring a box of tea bags the other day, admiring the logo of the Queen, and noticed that the box says:

“By appointment to Her Majesty the Queen” (or thereabouts) and just below…

“Made in Poland”!

I wonder if these teas have made it into the royal suite?

TominScotland
    Participant

I earned myself a cool £1,800 this lunchtime by NOT availaing of this service at T5. What is more, there was only one person ahead of me at Immigration so it was probably quicker than the bespoke service…..

LeTigre
    Participant

…which is now overcrowded due to repeated advertising!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls