Hotel air conditioning

Back to Forum
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=909433]you then have a shower and everywhere is steamed up for ages that really gets to me.[/quote]

I usually find a steamed up mirror helps with my self-esteem !!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We had this a while ago….

25 things and counting we hate about hotels

ontherunhome
    Participant

I usually try and turn it off, as it will always be too noisy. Another pet hate is the little LED lights, that are searchlights in the dark. The Air con light, the TV standby light, the smoke detector light that blinks on and off, plus once a radon gas detector. It was like Blackpool illuminations. Now I carry a small roll of black insulation tape in my toilet bag, and put a little piece on every LED. Did I mention the empty mini bar fridge, kicking in and out all night? Oh and the bedside clock radio, always in a Hilton room. By the way Merry Christmas and safe travels over the holidays, and every other time too.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry guys, as I get younger with each passing day, I find little trouble in operating the a/c system in any hotel I’ve been to! I always turn it off at night, no matter the temperature and whenever I can, I leave the window open. It’s not healthy to sleep in an air conditioned room.

Concorde Ray
    Participant

This was a charming exercise in reliving my own frustrated attempts to settle the question of a/c controls over the last 40 years.

May I offer up my solution? Do not let the bell boy leave the room without having him set the temperature AND fan speed at exactly to your liking.

Ih he has any issues, ask him to BRING a hotel engineer or hotel mechanic and get it settled once and for all, BEFORE you even start unpacking.

Too old to sleep in a hoodie!

Ray

BPP
    Participant

Hi All.
    Great topic for the Christmas break! I can remember travelling from Singapore to Bangkok on that very nice E&OE train some years ago. Complaining about the artic aircon resulted in the immediate
    appearance of the ‘Steward’ with a large roll of Gaffer Tape to seal off the outlets! ‘We have the technology’ said he.
    Like Lugano Pirate the first thing that gets turned off on arrival is the aircon, trouble is it invariably resets to arctic when you re-enter the room.
    From experience, the Middle East hotels are the worst for this. You need a thin cotton shirt out of the hotel and an Anorak inside!
    I know where the (Club Lounge) A/C control is in an often used hotel in Bangkok, have some fun with the staff when they cannot work out why it has got ‘comfortably warm’
    Then there is the in room TV which again often has a mind of its own, it’s then hunt the plug!
    The kettle which on one occasion was (unknowingly) under the smoke detector – guess who was responsible for the mandatory evacuation at 3.00am local time?

BPP

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

…and the air con problem is replicated with the ubiquitous shower!!

Montysaurus
    Participant

I agree with capetonianm re bathroom shelf space – the lack of it winds me up.

esselle
    Participant

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but how about the lights in a hotel room?

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve tried to turn off all but a single bedside light so that I can actually get into bed and then turn it off. Only to discover that it doesn’t, or that there is another one on somewhere else……..or is it just me?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

For some reason a hotel thinks it should impress us with their lighting technology which does most things except turn off the lights when in bed. More often than not one ,two or even three standard lamps operate on a single circuit and can only be turned off at the light switch itself; infuriating to say the least

stevescoots
    Participant

well i checked into my Hotel in HK last night where its a bit chilly at the moment. AC was set at 20c, room was not cold, just right and for once i have not had to play with it!

Inquisitive
    Participant

What about the alarm clock? Most of these are still with iPod docks.
    The alarm settings is a challenge sometimes for me (and I am quite technically minded). And there is no instruction manual anywhere in the room.

I have faced interesting time with hotel shower mixer as well like some posters noted.

I give feedback for some of the quarky things I note in hotel rooms, but except one occasion never received any reply.

Montysaurus
    Participant

I am pleased to see that I am not alone and that my first reason in the initial post does not seem to apply!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

In USA, the added challenge is dealing with the freezing temperatures in public areas such as restaurents, due to aircon settings. It’s standard for me in most restaurents to take a sweater even when the outside temp is 90+

canucklad
    Participant

I’m really embarrassed to say that the most frustratingly minutely trivial thing that I repeatedly do, happens at every hotel I stay in and sends me in a mild depression as it reminds me immediately that I’m away from the comforts of home.
    Worse, it happens when I’m interrupted by the luxury of having someone serve me a fine dinner …….trying to pause the telly whilst I answer the door!!

And selfishly, this agitate’s a person who remembers holidaying in Scotland,and not that long ago ,being sent to the corner shop by my granddad for candy,as long as I returned with change to feed the TV. And time for bed, being decided by the wisdom of some religious chap waxing lyrical about nothing in particular

It’s shameful how Sky Q has spoilt me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls