Honeymoon upgrades

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• Anonymous

767prisoner
    Participant

What are the chances of getting some honeymoon upgrades on BA? We are booked Miami-Singapore return via London on an American Airlines ticket but nearly all on BA planes. We are in coach on tickets that cannot be upgraded. Yes, i am in trouble for this…though because I’m Exec Platinum on AA we have managed to get exit row seats on all bar the qantas flight from SIN-LHR. Any suggestions on how I can get nearer the front are gratefully appreciated!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The appearance of a credit card usually works, even when tickets appear un-upgradeable!!

first_class_please
    Participant

Ask to pay at check in. BA are doing many fixed price upgrades on their flights, depending how busy they are. Think UK-US around £199 per person economy to economy plus.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The paid upgrade at check in route is your best bet. Works in most situations, where there is space available.

Make sure you have no special meal requests.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Yes – it does work but isn’t always the case.

Staff ex-LHR are a lot less flexible that downstream. They will only do what their computer allows them to do. If there is no offer, they won’t create one for you.

Downstream, If you’re happy to pay then I have found that in 99% of cases, they will accommodate.

Papillion53
    Participant

Credit card out and keep it as a surprise until you board, and then you can say you were kidding all along about being in coach!!! I’m thinking brownie points here! 😉 🙂

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have always been accommodated at LHR; rather than asking at the regular check in (where staff may not know what to do) go to the little desk next to the First check-in (I’m sure there’s another one for economy passengers, but don’t know that end of the terminal well).

They’re always happy to help.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

That is not my experience at either T3 or T5 – appreciated that others may differ. I know from BA staff (fact) that ground staff are LHR are not allowed to be flexible and getting to those that can make a decision is very difficult. I can only assume VK that you are Premier status and have some sort of special services support as us mere mortal gold card holders (often) get nowhere.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

@VK Zone E for economy ticketing. However if paying to to J/F that would of course be done in Zone j.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Maybe they’ll allow you to upgrade with points/miles. It’s worked with me even on non upgradable tickets but that was with *A. Not sure about BA though.

Otherwise I’m with Papillion, get the cc out and if necessary get new tickets. It’s your honeymoon after all and you’ll only have one – unless she divorces you that is 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BTW way, is a “honeymoon upgrade” different from any other form of upgrade??

RogEdwards
    Participant

I think a “honeymoon upgrade” is where you announce you are on your honeymoon and hope that fact alone will wilt the heart of the staff so that they get all teary and bung you a freebie…..

…..I heard someone got a glass of fizz on board in Y by playing the honeymoon card but never a free upgrade.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Not sure if this is entirely relevant to your situation but Senior Management and I were on the same BA038 back from PEK a couple of weeks back – she in Club World/BAEC Silver through her company and me in World Traveller Plus (through me). At check-in, a pleasant smile from Snr Mgt, Silver card and the innocent enquiry “any possibility that my husband could be upgraded this morning…?” invited the response that “yes, that will be no problem…” It’s not often that I am struck dumb with astonishment but most certainly on this occasion.

A VERY pleasant experience albeit mildly offset by the winsome four-year old who was doing his level best seriously to embarrass his mother by ear-piercing bawling during the journey but hey-ho. No idea just how (a)typical this upgrade experience is but this was a very agreeable experience on BA – and I really do rate the CW sleeper beds!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A second “plus” for BA in a week. Anthony being upgraded and Steve being allowed to change a non changeable ticket for free due to family circumstances. Great news.

On my honeymoon, Air Malta ex LGW back in the (very) late 70’s we got a free bottle of bubbly. Nice touch though I had to be helped off the plane due to wobbly leg syndrome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls