Heathrow to Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

I believe Reading is the nearest direct service. Takes about 75 mins on the diesel train. Not a very regular service though.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just had a look at Reading to Gatwick on the train… it may be “direct” but it stops all over the place.. no wonder it takes an hour 25.

If you get in early you could ‘perhaps’ wiz to Guilford. There is a 7.10 train that gets you into Gatwick at 7.50….

I know I had a similar reverse journey some months ago and used the coach (and made it)…. but I had over 3 hours… this one is tight…

Look forward to hearing some positive news ……

SimonS1
    Participant

The Guildford train is the Reading train. Not a bad idea though as you would save time by going direct to Guildford.

The only thing is it’s about 35 mins drive and 7.10 with a ticket in hand would need you to be out the airport and in the car about 10 mins after landing….

I think I would stick to plan A. Good driver and I think the odds are in FCWs favour.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Was thinking as alternate IF the 23 is blocked, but 25 clear…

SimonS1
    Participant

It’s a decent idea Martyn but with a 6.20 landing at LHR, bags to collect, a 35 min car journey (AA – assumes roads clear) and a train ticket to buy I doubt the 7.10 train from Guildford is do-able.

If it’s public transport I would definitely take the HEX/Gatwick Express route.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Anyone know how long a taxi is to Clapham Junction from Heathrow – if traffic is bad. Lots of trains from there to Gatwick – and saves going into central London to get to Victoria. Otherwise by train – if on time with flight and baggage is quick then a taxi to Feltham – the 07:05 with a 16 minute connection at Clapham Junction gets you to Gatwick at 08:07, or 07:16 gets in at 08:18. You might make a quicker connection if you hot foot it to platform 13 at Clapham. Then you are at the mercy of the trains. Taxi from Heathrow to Feltham is about 10/15 minutes (hopefully only 10 minutes at that time). Just if you need a Plan E! But a think a knowledgeable driver sounds best (but it is very tight!).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Experience has taught me the direct way is usually the fastest and short cuts, back doubles and alternative means are usually usually slower.

My advice is to stick to your chosen means of transport and you’ll make it without trouble.

I’ve just remembered a friend of mine who lives in Westerham and works close to Gatwick likely takes the M23 daily. I’ll ask him and report here later.

BigDog.
    Participant

The problem with M23 is that there is no exit between the M25 interchange and Gatwick. It is a long stretch of motorway, probably one of the longest between exits in the south east. If anything happens you have no alternative but to wait in what could be an increasingly lengthening queue with no exit until the problem clears.

Personally, whenever I go to LGW I exit the M25 (at junction 8, A217) just prior to M23 which is Reigate hill. It is actually a shorter route but as it crosses a barriered train line and touches the side of Reigate High St. it maybe slower but imo less risky as there are many rat-run alternatives if anything untoward happens.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I spoke to my friend FirstClass and he told me he hits the M23 around 7.30 every morning. It rarely takes him more than 20 minutes so you should be fine barring an accident of course. He also gave me this link.

http://www.traffic-update.co.uk/motorways/m23.asp

which he uses and if there’s been an accident he then goes cross country.

SimonS1
    Participant

LP – the roadworks only started yesterday so what normally happens isn’t what is happening now. Yesterday there were tailbacks of 11km as posted above.

Andrew66
    Participant

Although it is not applicable to FCW s proposed route but in response to Bigdog s ” the longest between exits in the SE ” , I think the M23 stretch referred to is 7 miles between junctions and off the top of my head that is easily beaten by the hateful M26 which starts at Wrotham ( M20 J2 ) onto the M26 which ends at the M25 J5 Sevenoaks past Clacketts and the next available exit is the Caterham turn off A22 at J6 which is only about a mile or so short of J7 the M23 turn off . As you join the M26 there is a sign warning that the next junction is M25 J6 and its 18 miles away , that is gruesome if there are traffic problems 🙂

conc001
    Participant

Sorry but i think this is way to tight . You need to clear uK passport control wait for your bags then get a car to take you to Gatwick, I assume you are checking in bags on the Gatwick flight to so for a 09:10 departure need to be at check in by 8:10, its just to tight.

I hope I am wrong and best of luck.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think you’re being a bit pessimistic Conc. While he’s waiting at passport control his bags will be merrily making their way to the baggage belt. A bit of fast footwork to the car and he could be on his way by 0700 and at LGW by 0815. I think minimum check in time is 45 mins so plenty of reserve.

Hopefully FirstClass is also checked in so it’s just off to the bag drop and through.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your tight transfer. The only thing worse than transiting between London airports is, in my view, doing so between Moscow ones. I have tried to be innovative in searching out connections at smaller airports, and have been pleasantly surprised at how smooth it can be (mostly!).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls