Heathrow T3 woes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Heathrow geeks could do a lot worse than take a look at the capital investment plan for the airport.

Link to BAA investor site is as follows:

http://www.baa.com/assets/Internet/BAA%20Airports/Downloads/Static%20files/Heathrow_CIP2011_Full.pdf

LeTigre
    Participant

RichHI1, I have good reasons for not minding T3 most of the time, but like everyone else I do hate the immigration, but I like:
    -the funky VA check-in
    -the modern A380 gates
    -the (generally) nice biz lounges
    -that you can generally buy whatever you want, even if it is a bit pricey
    -the little outdoor concourse, to get a bit of fresh air

I obviously don’t like:
    -general messy layout
    -few plane views
    -crowded departure halls
    -poor connectivity to other terminals
    -awful peak-time security arrangements

Bucksnet
    Participant

VK, why is there ‘not a cat in that version of Hell’s chance of VA moving to T2 in 2014’ then?

T3 is the worst terminal, and they should be wanting to leave, especially if they are moving into the fantastic new T2.

VintageKrug
    Participant

T3 is fine if you check in at a premium desk, use Fast Track security and head straight to one of the premium lounges (Virgin, BA or Cathay) and board through one of the new A380 gates.

Otherwise, the experience for the masses is decidedly sub-par. Thankfully, I’m not one of the masses, but can understand their justified frustration.

Virgin premium customers are entirely isolated from the melee so they really aren’t impacted by the chaos in the main terminal.

LeTigre
    Participant

Yes, VK, but you still haven’t said how you know VA will not move into Heathrow East in 2014.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And you haven’t said how you know VA will move into Heathrow East in 2014.

LeTigre
    Participant

Here’s one example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4424554.stm

Also, there have been many BAA documents with that on, but I am too busy to spend time searching.

Anyway, I was asking for **your** source, not mine.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Not naming names but there is hyperbole, there is BA BS and there is …”

The Cairo Motor Yacht Club, always in ‘de nile.’ 😉

Bucksnet
    Participant

“BAA said the proposed new terminal ……… would be used by airlines including Virgin ………..”

I can’t see Virgin surviving outside an alliance, and will still struggle if they join one. Oneworld is out, SkyTeam is unlikely, so probably Star. If they join SkyTeam they need to move to T4, otherwise they should move to T2 with all the other Star carriers.

VintageKrug
    Participant

How much do you reckon it costs an airline to move terminals at LHR?

Bucksnet
    Participant

You know more than me VK.

RichHI1
    Participant

I would be interested to know. I guess if you do it smoothly it is a lot less than if you screw it up. I suspect the move to T5 was very expensive but maybe LH or UA to T1 was probably cheaper (even allowing for smaller sizes). I suspect ancilliary costs would be less too as HEX would only be rerouted for BA.

Bucksnet
    Participant

EVA and PIA are in T3, both are unaligned with small operations so an easy move to T4.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“How much do you reckon it costs an airline to move terminals at LHR?”

GBP 3,410,202.43p.

LeTigre
    Participant

Virgin has a relatively small operation at Heathrow, as you can see by the measly 3% of slots, while moving things around must cost a bit, but really a one-off relocation shouldn’t have lots of costs involved. I assume BAA will fork out for outfitting the terminals so the cost really can’t be that huge.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls