Heathrow T3 woes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

• Anonymous

travelworld
    Participant

Emirates announces today that it has opened an arrivals lounge in Heathriow T3. I guess that means that, even though it’s a non aligned carrier, it’s not moving anytime soon to T4.

T3 remains far and away the most ghastly of all Heathrow terminals, in part because it seems so often full to bursting. The plan was to make it home to Oneworld exclusively but with a number of airlines still there who are not aligned that doesn’t seem likely to happen. Indeed, with EK converting all but one of their flights to A380 operations by next March the termnal will be fuller, not emptier.

I can understand that (say) Singapore and Thai can’t move until T1 is rebuilt but surely BAA can move the remaining non aligned members out?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Indeed. Emirates needs to move to T4 as a non-aligned carrier, and because of its volume of passengers in the overcrowded T3.

Kingfisher and Malaysian will be looking to move into T3 at some point in the near future, so others like EK need to move out.

And where will all the extra BA flights go if the BMI takeover goes through?

cityprofessional
    Participant

Errrr, why should Emirates move? They have invested large amounts in the terminal, and it’s the only one with truly A380-designed gates, with boarding directly from the Emirates lounge in the upper level

While T4 is the designated non-aligned terminal, the facilities are pretty poor and the connectivity with Central London is poor, with the unreliable HEx connection via T1/T3

Huh, maybe Virgin should move? Or maybe BAA could get it’s ar5e in gear, and finish building T5D, then everyone would be happy?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I think Emirates do a good job in T3 under the circumstances and I don’t see why they should move, their investment is heavy and their lounge is excellent. There aren’t many places where you can board straight from the lounge as you can in T3. It takes the hassle out of mixing with the masses at the gate.

In due course, SQ, TG, SK, TK, AC, UA & MS should move to T2 or whatever it’s called this week and that will leave plenty of room in T3 for Emirates who no doubt by then will operate all their services to DXB with A380s.

I don’t understand why VS aren’t moving, any ideas?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Maybe VS aren’t moving because their investment is heavy and their lounge is excellent. If they do join Star, then I suppose they will move to T2 when it opens.

VintageKrug
    Participant

1. T3 is hideous right now (unless you use VS Upper Class) precisely because BAA is investing in developing the T2 site. This should be ready after the Olympics (more perfect planning on behalf of BAA there). So improvement isn’t very far off.

2. There is no capacity elsewhere right now to “move other airlines out”.

3. Emirates certainly does not need to move imminently to T4; T3 has the A380 gate capacity and the airline has invested in lounges at T3.

4. T4 facilities are now actually pretty good (my last flight from there was this summer), and I continue to be impressed with the terminal’s spacious lobby, the security arranagements and the Skyteam lounge.

5. BAA is not building T5D, which would require the relocation of the fuel farm and significant underground work to extend tram.

6. Virgin is the least likely to move from T3 given the several millions it has spent developing the excellent “private terminal” concept for its premium passengers. I would doubt even a move to Star Alliance would tempt VS out of its T3 facility, especially considering how close it is to T1/T2 so there simply aren’t the co-location benefits seen by keeping the two main alliances within the Central Area.

Patience. The new T2 will be superb – on a par with T5 – and should significantly ease the over-crowding in T3, hopefully allowing for a much needed refurb to bring it up to modern expectations, along the lines of the excellent work BAA have managed at T4.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

A couple of points:

– Although BAA have not committed to build T5D, a plan to do so is notionally in the latest capital investment plan for LHR. In any event, the fuel farm has to be removed by 2018.

– T2’s completion will not offer any real capacity enhancements at LHR because, as soon as it is opened, T1 will close and be demolished. Only when T2’s second phase is built on the site of T1 will any real growth be possible on the central campus. That should be about 2019.

RichHI1
    Participant

As prior posted I think T3 gets a bad rap. It needs an upgrade sure but one in the interests of pax and carriers not retailers. Virgin have spent a bundle in T3, I do not like them as a carrier but they invest in pax and don’t just whine and ask for hand outs, so good luck to them.
    I see Etihad are increasing share of air berlin, does that affect the middle east alliance possibilities?
    As prior posted I would favour splitting flights by destination not alliance. That way if you have a problem on one carrier you could switch easily. Also means Cbp could be at LHR. But airlines do not want to make it easy to swap and I know many posters believe civilization is threatened if other countries’ agencies are allowed outside an embassy compound.

LeTigre
    Participant

I’m sorry I don’t have time to find a more recent article but look at this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4424554.stm

It is clear that VA will move into Heathrow East in either 2014 or 2019, probably the former. Their investment in T3 is small compared to the significant improvement they have been promised in Heathrow East. Under such circumstances, VA would certainly be more than happy to move. Perhaps with the new A380 stands EK will move as well!

Anyway, T3 isn’t really that bad- and I generally fly peak times.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Very interesting.

I hadn’t realised the fuelfarm had to be moved, nor understood the lack of capacity caused by the T1 demolition.

Shouldn’t be such an issue moving those flights into the spanking new T2A, which might have some spare capacity to take some of the T3 flights?

T3 is a hellhole, and there’s not a cat in that version of Hell’s chance of VA moving to T2 in 2014, assuming the airline still exists then.

LeTigre
    Participant

Generally, I prefer to listen to unbiased views.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Bear in mind the expected purchase of bmi by either Virgin or IAG is likely to require some redrawing of terminal move plans.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Emirates and SQ can not move easily from T3 as they operate A380 and in Heathrow only T3 has true A380 boarding facility. As others indicated proximity to gate from lounges is also a great attraction. I use T3 frequently and once I reach security to lounge navigating the horrible duty free shops – it is no trouble after that.
    Only once I spent some time in airside area – total lack of seating arrangement and crowded like a market place with high noise.

RichHI1
    Participant

Not naming names but there is hyperbole, there is BA BS and there is …
    T3 is not that bad. I guess there are few of us who go to catch a flight not shop, get a pedicure or ride the trains.
    I do hope they finish the immigration remodel soon.
    Worst thing for me was removing the covered entrance. It is stupid you have to get dropped off in the parking lot to stay dry.
    Not forgetting the BA bussing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls