Heathrow-Moscow on a 777/747

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• HonestCrew
    Participant

Just to reply to Vk’s question.
    I believe it is unlikely for half of MF to receive a 747 licence and half a 767 licence because if BA still want to continue send a 767 to Moscow they can use Eurofleet crew (albeit no first class cabin).They can operate longhaul or shorthaul versions. Reading an internal mail it seems BA want the First product on this route. To train up MF crew on the 767 just to operate one short route wouldn’t be worthwhile. The other 767 routes aren’t high crew cost routes, so BA will probably keep Eurofleet and Worldwide Crew operating them. By having MF crew operate 747 it opens up the chance for BA to use them on a wider choice of destinations. The longer the flight/working day the more money BA save.
    Currently not all MF are licenced on the 747 but they are getting there.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Aside from the economics, I find it hard to understand why a 4 cabin service 747 would be used on an 4 hour flight. Experiencing the lack of service on a short East Coast USA – LHR sector (due to timings, not the superb crews) is it just a case of providing pax with a quick meal and half a film.

The London to Moscow (and and surrounding areas) route is certainly filled with the private jets of the Oligarchs. I am not sure they would be happy to share a 747 with other passengers!!!

StephenLondon
    Participant

Aren’t TLV and CAI similar durations, also flown with 777 / 747 aircraft?

Bucksnet
    Participant

There are people who can afford business and first on shorter flights, but cannot afford their own jet – yet. Some 767s have around 70 pax in CE, but BA are losing business to others on the route who have a superior product. Also, BA will be able to carry full size cargo containers (ULD3/6) on 747s and 777s.

TLV and CAI are longer and on different continents.

VintageKrug
    Participant

TLV and CAI are both around 5 hours, so only marginally longer than Moscow.

I’d view the Moscow trip along the same lines as a US transcon, and being a heavily business route, and with significant potential for attracting onward connections on BA’s international network, as well as increased cargo uplift.

The provision of longhaul 767s with Premium economy and Club World, and the 747’s F cabin is long overdue. Plus helpful on the brief overnight (which will probably be a “sleeper service”) will be hugely preferable to the previously available products.

VintageKrug
    Participant

….though I’m not certain there will be much in the way of improved Arrival facilities possible at MOscow Airport.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls