Have you received your Golden Ticket?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)

• JonathanM8
    Participant

Handbag,

Although I travel in all classes of BA both long-haul and short-haul, be reassured that I handed my Golden tickets to cabin crew working in short-haul economy. They really have to work hard for their money (particularly out of LCY where there are only two crew for as many as 98 passengers).

To be honest on a long-haul overnight flight from the US, the easiest gig for cabin crew must be on the upper deck in CW – everyone wants to sleep and they have comparatively little to do. Its those down the back that have the most to do in the worst of conditions.

NTarrant
    Participant

The logical way to operate such a scheme is that the crew hand them in and then as part of the apraisal system get praised for the number handed in as well as a note from the manager when handed in.

I would agree that a crew member would have to go in on their day off to speak to a manager is not really right or an incentive for the crew.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Fair comments handbag. I can’t think why you would need to go in and discuss it unless it came down to your annual review. Coming in on your day of is definitely a bad idea and not really encouraging unless there is of course a worth while reward for those who do get a ticket.

christopheL
    Participant

@FormerlyDoS

Which demon is that ? Not a friend of mine I’m afraid !

Perhaps I should socialize with some pilots to meet such a good friend 🙂

http://nz.totaltravel.yahoo.com/news-opinions/news/a/-/16058178/claims-drunk-ba-pilot-groped-passenger/

Hippocampus
    Participant

Handbag, Could you not pop the golden ticket in the post with a note to your manager, or as Becky says, at least take it with to your annual review?

The system may not be perfect but I think it really is quite remiss of crew not to do their bit to try and make it work. Ultimately, it is important that individual effort and contribution is recognised and rewarded (in spite of the snide remarks earlier). I’m not sure it’s the case that Gold cardholders only ever fly in business or first class. I think any crew not passing golden tickets on to BA really is shooting themselves in the foot!

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

I have received mine.

I am afraid I would just feel like a complete and utter patronising t**t handing it out to anybody. Invariably most of the BA crew I encounter (and whom I generally find to be excellent) are old enough to be my mother. I simply treat them with the courtesy that they treat me. Occasionally, if I have a really nice flight in F (I only get that luxury if the sector is 8 hours plus), I make of point of saying so to the F purser or CSD when disembarking.

Hippocampus
    Participant

HedgeFundFlyer – I wouldn’t let that stop you handing in your golden ticket. You can just say “This isn’t quite how I woud choose to say thank you myself but as BA has given me one of these..” etc etc.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Is there a time limit on the tickets?

Can you give them to other people to use?

handbag
    Participant

Hippocampus – 04/02/2013 21:06 GMT

Handbag, Could you not pop the golden ticket in the post with a note to your manager, or as Becky says, at least take it with to your annual review?

The system may not be perfect but I think it really is quite remiss of crew not to do their bit to try and make it work. Ultimately, it is important that individual effort and contribution is recognised and rewarded (in spite of the snide remarks earlier). I’m not sure it’s the case that Gold cardholders only ever fly in business or first class. I think any crew not passing golden tickets on to BA really is shooting themselves in the foot!

Unfortunately, even if you pop in the post, you then get called in for a chat.

I quite agree that recognition is good, but from the Crew poiint of view a note works out much better for us.

You are correct, there will always be a couple of Gold Card holders in WT, but in First and Club there are always significantly more.

I do not feel we are shooting ourselves in the foot. I will have been appreciated by the people that matter. I just do not need to spend my time off discussing it.

handbag
    Participant

BeckyBoop – 04/02/2013 19:07 GMT

Fair comments handbag. I can’t think why you would need to go in and discuss it unless it came down to your annual review. Coming in on your day of is definitely a bad idea and not really encouraging unless there is of course a worth while reward for those who do get a ticket

I am not aware of any actual reward from BA for Crew receiving the tickets.

handbag
    Participant

JonathanM8 – 04/02/2013 18:59 GMT

Handbag,

Although I travel in all classes of BA both long-haul and short-haul, be reassured that I handed my Golden tickets to cabin crew working in short-haul economy. They really have to work hard for their money (particularly out of LCY where there are only two crew for as many as 98 passengers).

To be honest on a long-haul overnight flight from the US, the easiest gig for cabin crew must be on the upper deck in CW – everyone wants to sleep and they have comparatively little to do. Its those down the back that have the most to do in the worst of conditions.

You are correct on both counts. Do not envy having 2 Crew for 98 pax.

I work longhaul and agree that Upperdeck CW is the easiest. As a Purser, this is not an option. You have 2 choices depending on if you are the most Senior. First or WT. I always choose WT. It is physically much harder, but I personally prefer it.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, whatever the flaws in the Golden Ticket system, at least BA aren’t going down the same road as Pret a Manger, which (I read today) uses mystery shoppers to ensure its workers feign happiness at all times, with entire teams losing their bonuses if a single worker is spotted without a smile. Sounds ghastly…

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Well imagine the Pret scenario on a BA flight, that would be amusing. I suspect the threat of this initiative would lead very quickly to industrial action.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I haven”t seen one, but….

How easy would it be to scan, and run off a number of copies?

I will definitely use mine if I think it is merited.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls