From July 1st we can use our mobiles on BA after landing!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• Anonymous

theworldtraveller
    Participant

Just heard that BA have changed their policy and once the plane has landed and is on the taxiways we will be able to switch phones on and make calls/check emails.

Having the possibility of making an early call if someone is picking you up is useful. Oh and not being told off by the crew will also be good!

JordanD
    Participant

If true, excellent to see the CAA has caught up with its foreign colleagues.

Somewhat ridiculous that one could land on a CX or QF plane at LHR and be allowed to use a phone once the active runway was vacated, but fly in on a BA/VS plane and you couldn’t.

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

By the barrage of chimes and buzzes you hear around the cabin as soon as the plane has exited the runway, Iā€™m not sure much notice was ever taken of that rule anyway!

capetonianm
    Participant

What is the logic behind only implementing this on 01JUL? Many people have ignored it anyway, and now there’s no chance that most people would feel inhibited.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I don’t remember waiting till the plane docks to switch on the phone and i don’t remember being asked to anyway. People switch on their gadgets as soon as the plane hits the ground anyway.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

I turn my phone on as soon as I land with BA anyway!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well in practice the only change is we will no more need to hide…

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

I’ve never understood why some airlines let you do things others don’t – like EK letting you hold on to your glass of Champagne for take-off.

conshaldow
    Participant

As a few posts have already described, it’s really down to how picky the cabin crew want to be. Some don’t care that you have your phone on. Personally I hide mine away like it’s some sort of forbidden fruit! Must…. check… social…. network!

flier74
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong, but what some of you seem to forget is that it was not BAs rule or indeed any others British registered Airlines’ rule. It is (and luckily was by the 1st of July) a CAA rule. Trust me Cabin Crew on most Airlines do ot understand the rule themselves due to other Airlines deal with it differently or regarded as as outdated, but they are all non UK based carriers. LH is very strict about it actually. However if the Crew do not enforce the rule and a CAA inspector was to be onboard, that would have serious consequences for the Crew on the day.
    For those of you hiding your phone or playing “dumb”, i.e. “It is off” when its clearly just locked and not switched off or you pretend to switch it off and act like naughty little schoolboys/-girls, well what can I say? I feel for you and watching these little games going on just makes me laugh, when grown up men and women think they are so special that they do not need to abide to simple rules and have to start an argument.
    Also the “Why” makes me laugh. Maybe you just do it because the Crew asked you nicely to do so? Not everything nowadays needs to be questioned. Trust me, the Crew member does not enjoy asking you to switch your phones off, put your seatback up, show them you boarding pass etc, but they are obliged to do so.
    It is only a small thing isnt it.
    But I guess in future people will just hide their laptops and switch them secretly on even though they are not meant to, as only handheld devices will be allowed to be switched on after vacating the runway.

Ready to be shot down, but hey it is not the Cabin Crews’ rule after all šŸ™‚

Also maybe credit where Credit is due: BA are the ones who approached the CAA to have this rule relaxed and they are the first UK based carrier to launch this facility.

pdtraveller
    Participant

OH good….so much to look forward too……

“I am on the plane I am on the plane”

” DYKWIA” I am so important I need to call my own number”.

Bores 1 Humanity 0

Hippocampus
    Participant

Yes, credit where credit is due, it is BA that lobbied the CAA and demonstrated that the rules can be relaxed.

Just as was the case with in-flight entertainment, BA led the way with the CAA and other UK airlines will soon follow.

Will the anti-BA agenda on this forum acknowledge this? I doubt it.

bacrew1
    Participant

quite right hippocampus….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Curious about the “CAA rule”.

Can someone provide chapter and verse please.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls