First Timer on NF

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

• Anonymous

FlyerDoc
    Participant

I flew to HKG in F last month and was very impressed by my first NF experience.

The Concorde Room was excellent, with an outstanding alcohol offering and very good food. The restaurant service was very quick and came with a smile! Galleries Gold was also excellent, with a more bustling feel to it and only slightly inferior F+B offerings.
    I did not sample the spa, so cant comment.

The NF seat was superb and for me had just the right balance of privacy without feeling enclosed. The crew were genuinely pleasant!

Again the alcohol offering (without wanting to sound like an alcoholic) was outstanding, the ’98 Lynch Bages deserving a special mention! The food wasn’t so good however, brought down by the duck, which was dry and overcooked. Unsurprisingly, the cold starter and desert worked well, and probably reflect issues with crew cooking/reheating in the air rather than what happens on the ground.

All in though, it was an excellent flight and i look forward to continued improvements around the edges!

GordyUK
    Participant

Its really nice to see comments like this… Some of us “jaded old gits” forget and become a bit blasé with what some passengers would sell a small relative to experience.

I only managed to get my first “new First” last month, myself. I really loved it, yet despite that i manage to find time to bitch and moan about how they can’t improve on it on the A380… see …. jaded 😉

glad you enjoyed it

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Gordy

I don’t agree that you are jaded, but more that familiarity breeds contempt with product or service imperfections.

When I had my initial F class cabin experience, I thought it was amazing, as my prior experience was mainly Y.

These days, as a hardened J class user, I find it very difficult to justify the extra expense for F, even in a superior product to NF.

I think that’s the root cause 🙂

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Greg sshhhh!!! Positive comments about BA are discouraged on this board..lol :o)

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

what’s NF you jargon-monkeys? Used to mean National Front.

esselle
    Participant

I am not at all sure jaded describes over familiarity.

For me, jaded more accurately describes the grudging acceptance that inconsistency becomes the norm and is something you have to both expect, and accept.

This is intended as a general comment, lest anybody should think it a specific reflection of my well trailed view of BA’s fundamental problem with its F offer.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

esselle, you will find all airlines are plagued with inconsistencies to some degree and usually the larger the airline the harder it is to maintain. You notice it more with BA because you fly more with them.

Jimmer7
    Participant

Age_of_Reason@11:12

NF = New First

That’s the way BA are currently branding their latest iteration of First

DavidGoff
    Participant

Due to fly First to Joburg later in the year, are you able to eat a meal the Concorde Lounge & again later on board the aircraft ?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Yes

Papillion53
    Participant

BB beat me to it – YES DavidGoff – go for it, indulge in all the wonderful offerings!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

David not sure why you wouldnt to eat meals both in the lounge and on the plane. JNB tends to be an evening flight. I would suggest eating your main meal in the lounge have a dessert on board while watching a film then go to sleep.

Papillion53
    Participant

Or if you are there with plenty of time, have a lovely spa treatment, dinner and there’s always time for that to go down before you board and by the time you get airborne, you may well be ready for another dinner! Or you can do as BB suggested and what I sometimes do, is just have a starter and then some pudding, or cheese or better still warm cookies and hot chocolate wrapped up in my duvet watching a film!

It’s all too easy to have something to eat just because it’s there, thank goodness ….. LOL!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“esselle, you will find all airlines are plagued with inconsistencies to some degree and usually the larger the airline the harder it is to maintain. You notice it more with BA because you fly more with them.”

Non-sequitur, in my experience.

Emirates (service, rather than product, which is inconsistent) offer a pretty homogenous service (note, not my favourite airline), Ryanair (again, not my favourite) are remarkably consistent. Swiss is consistent and Lufthansa almost robotic (not a big fan.)

On the other hand, small airlines like Air Malta can be very inconsistent, although less these days under the new regime. GF are a little bit hit and miss, too (although I do like the airline for some reason.)

I am not a heavy BA user (still maintain a silver card, may even hit gold this year), but I find the soft product/service to be somewhat more inconsistent than the norm, e.g. menu cards that don’t match the food loaded, seats with bits missing or broken, no washbags loaded, some very smiley crews, others quite taciturn (although still polite and professional.)

Edited to add GF to the inconsistent list.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls