Finally! The UK American Express Platinum Card is metal!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

• MS
    Participant

The UK Amex Platinum Card will be metal and will include these changes:

– Increased annual fee from £450 to £575
    – $US200 credit on private home rental stay
    – £10 a month credit for Addison Lee
    – New messaging feature in Amex App to Platinum Services & Concierge

The metal card will be automatically issued when the card expires but I’m sure you can request the metal version earlier.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Quite a price increase though !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I cancelled my Amex Black card when the fees went through the roof (something like £800 to £2,200 pa). It wasn’t the fee increase that concerned me, it was the additional very targeted and narrow benefits, unique to Amex, that I would never use and clearly the cost of the additional benefits had been built into the fees of the card.

Now it appears, from the OP, the Plat card is going the same way, increasing the fee, offering ‘cash’ benefits, that will not suit all card holders, yet all card holders will be subsidising these benefit

However: I still see the 2 big advantages of the Plat Card, for which the card is renown for – Priority Pass – unlimited lounge visits and travel insurance for up to 5 people.

I have never used Addiscombe Lee & have no idea about the $200 credit on home rental.

I am sad to say that whilst I see the 34% increase as steep, it will not put me off my renewal as long as the travel insurance and priority pass benefit remain intact.

Strange the UK website is not showing the changes…. yet…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Through my door this morning.

Changes effective 1st August 2019: Card increase effective renewals after that date.

** access to a new Centurion Lounge T3 Heathrow
    ** sought after restaurant booking service
    ** Credits as mentioned by the OP (£10 and $200)
    ** new mobile messaging app to contact Concierge
    ** metal card not plastic (as mentioned by the OP) – (not sure of the value of having a metal card)
    ** Global Lounge Collection includes Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass & Eurostar Business Premier Lounges

For me, I find the travel insurance and lounge access a big benefit – a hefty increase, but still IMHO good value.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Like Martyn I find the travel insurance and priority pass a good benefit, particularly the car insurance element.

Looking at the above, so called service additions, I thought all the lounges listed Plat card holders already have access to?

In addition I thought there was already some form of restaurant booking service and how on earth is a metal card a benefit?!

Having just compared the cost of an Addison Lee journey to LHR compared to the normal car service I use, AL are 60% more expensive, and that’s with the credit factored in!

I suspect I’ll stick with it for now but it leaves a pretty bad taste. (Given a 34% increase for what appears to be b*gger all benefit over what is already offered. Unless the home credit can be used with Airbnb).

nevereconomy
    Participant

Had one for years and cannot say it did a lot as I always few F/J so no need for lounge access, but I was young and foolish so it was good for my burgeoning ego and it did mean no credit limits on my lengthy trips. Best experience ever in posh clothes shop in HK when the young Chinese salesperson told me “you can buy house with this” !!

w8ster
    Participant

That’s quite a bit to swap plastic for metal 🙂 Only got my card 3 months ago so will be a while before I get the metal.

MS
    Participant

You can call Amex after the 11th or 12th I think and swap it for a metal version (i.e. you’re basically reporting it as lost/stolen/damaged).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve completely given up with all these high priced debit cards. The only real benefit for me was the car hire excess insurance waiver, but my household policy now covers me for that for only chf 30 a year extra. My bank has a scheme where I can get lounge use, so if flying a non Star carrier that’s when I use it. My medical insurance covers me worldwide, so I go for just the free credit cards which also have very high limits, which to now I’ve never fully used.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

What is the excitement all about – why is metal special?

Inquisitive
    Participant

Those who travel well, hardly need to spend money for credit card annual fee. I get lounge access even if I travel economy due to status. Insurance is covered elsewhere. So my free plastic card (bank call platinum but colour is black) is good enough as that has very high limit.

I recall a few years ago one company offered metal card in Singapore, I didn’t bother thinking it will spoil my wallet.

Swissdiver
    Participant

My Revolut is metal! And it costs me only 120ish quids per year!

MS
    Participant

[quote quote=936543]My Revolut is metal! And it costs me only 120ish quids per year![/quote]

I closed my Revolut account because they constantly ask for justification regarding spending and loading deposits! It’s definitely not for big spenders!

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=936559]

My Revolut is metal! And it costs me only 120ish quids per year!

I closed my Revolut account because they constantly ask for justification regarding spending and loading deposits! It’s definitely not for big spenders![/quote]

Strange. They never ask me…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I think we should launch a Business Traveller-branded credit card with a set of compelling benefits for business travellers.

What would those benefits be, do you think? And at what price point?

Best suggestion gets unlimited spending for the first year.
    Not really, but I could perhaps buy you a drink.

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls