Finally! The UK American Express Platinum Card is metal!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

• MS
    Participant

Yeah I’ve found Amex Travel Insurance pretty good. I had to make a medical claim when I was in Japan, paid using my Amex card (so I get rewards) and then Amex refunded me the total amount without any excess fees!

MS
    Participant

Got the metal card today and it feels a lot better in the hand and looks way nicer too. Who would have thought we’re talking about a charge card! lol

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’m still considering whether to renew with Amex at the new fee.

Is anyone aware of any other UK credit cards that come with Priority Pass membership?

MS
    Participant

[quote quote=943140]I’m still considering whether to renew with Amex at the new fee.

Is anyone aware of any other UK credit cards that come with Priority Pass membership?[/quote]

There are no other UK credit cards that offer it however, the HSBC Premier Credit Card offers lounge access via the card directly.

Celticplumber
    Participant

I’ve been lucky, in the last 20 years I’ve only needed to claim twice. The first time my luggage went AWOL on a flight to JFK and Amex Insurance couldn’t have been more helpful, agreeing a cash amount on the spot that I could spend to meet my immediate needs, with more a couple of days later when my luggage still hadn’t arrived. The claim process was smooth and the spend had been re-credited to my account before the monthly statement arrived.

The second time was last year and the experience could not have been more different. The attitude of the claims people was bureaucratic and unhelpful, clearly being motivated to find a reason hidden in the small print to decline the claim.

Its the way business has gone, and perhaps I’m still feeling jaded by that experience, less confident that the policy “has my back” when I need it.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I started work at Amex Platinum Travel in 2002 and the card fee was £275 per year. I left in 2006 when it was £350 per year. There was enough uproar when it went up by a few quid then. The now £450-575 (if that is what it is) is a bit of a jump.

Centurion when it launched was £650 per year and in error they invited twice as people as they meant to. When they redesigned the service part of the huge hike in costs was to get rid of people from having the Black Card to make it more exclusive.

Is the card worth the fee – just about if you travel a lot – set up supp cards for family members even if you hold those cards yourself for the insurance benefits along with some of the other travel/lifestyle benefits (for Plat level) and stay at the hotels that are part of the FHR program. If you don’t use them – then really a waste of money and better cards out there. Is there Centurion card worth it. Well when I was there the travel team had way less knowledge in the Centurion card team compared to the Platinum/Gold team and barely anymore benefits, but that has all changed now. I don’t really see the value in the Black card from a value perspective. But I guess great for those who want to show off they have the black card if that’s what motivates/drives you.

In terms of whether it is metal. If I had a Plat card I really couldn’t give a proverbial about what it is made of. I’d just want the thing to work and be accepted by lots of merchants. But given the extortionate fees they charge merchants (and the fact they refuse to refund fees on returns/refunds) I won’t get an Amex card on principal and the position they take in the market is still very much 1970’s thinking. And I wasn’t even around in the 70’s!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Got the official notification this morning

CHANGE TO YOUR MEMBERSHIP PLAN

Hi Tom,

From August 1, 2019 access to non-lounge airport experiences will be removed from your membership program. You will continue to have access to over 1200 lounges in more than 500 cities across 143 countries….

FAQs

What are non-lounge airport experiences?
    Non-lounge airport experiences are not traditional airport lounges. These experiences include but are not limited to restaurants, bars and cafes that provide a credit toward your food and beverage bill.

Have all non-lounge airport experiences been removed from my Priority Pass program?
    No, a small number of non-lounge airport experiences will remain available subject to your complimentary benefit. (Tom note: includes The Grain Store at London Gatwick)

How can I find out which locations are available to me using my Priority Pass membership?
    Previously it has not been necessary to log in to your Priority Pass online account to view lounges available to you when traveling, however, from August 1. 2019 logging in on the web or app will ensure only accessible locations are visible to you.

Why are the non-lounge airport experiences still visible on the Priority Pass website and app if I am no longer able to access them?
    From August 1. 2019 non-lounge airport experiences (including restaurants, bars and cafes) will no longer be accessible with your membership program. From this date, logging in to your online account will allow you to search the 1200+ lounges still available. It also allows you to access other benefits, features and details specific to your program including account updates, allocation confirmation and real time entitlement information.

What will happen if I visit a location that has been removed from my Priority Pass program?
    The location staff will advise you that your Priority Pass membership card has been declined. If you have ordered and consumed food or drink, you will need to pay for it directly onsite. Please confirm the location is available to you before ordering by logging in to your online Priority Pass account and using the Lounge and more search facility.

Are there any plans to introduce additional lounges in the locations that are impacted by this change?
    Priority Pass’ partnership team are constantly seeking additional lounges to add to the program, in particular in locations where there is currently limited coverage. Please continue to log in and check the lounge finder to see locations available to you when travelling.

What if I want to self-fund a non-lounge airport experience in the Priority Pass program?
    These non-lounge locations do not require a Priority Pass membership to visit as paying customer. At this time, it is not possible to use your complimentary benefit or receive a discount using your Priority Pass membership card. You will need to provide payment at time of visit for any food or drink consumed at the location.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I got the same email this morning.

At least The Grain Store at Gatwick will still be accessible. That’s the only PP non-lounge location that I’ve actually come across in my travels. I’m not sure how many there were or where they’re located.

Mbr
    Participant

Is the supplementary gold card a charge or credit card? Thanks in advance for help.

MS
    Participant

[quote quote=950072]Is the supplementary gold card a charge or credit card? Thanks in advance for help.[/quote]

It’s a charge card.

Aunn
    Participant

I am wondering when will be avaiable metal card in the Netherlands?

capetonianm
    Participant

The mega-rich now have a new way to flaunt their wealth, as the Royal Mint has unveiled a debit card made from solid gold.

The 18-carat card has a hefty upfront price tag, starting at £18,750 for the basic version and increasing for bespoke designs.

The cards are linked to a Mastercard Raris account and the owners’ names and signature are engraved into the metal. Users also get perks such as a concierge service and no foreign exchange or transaction fees.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/royal-mint-unveils-solid-gold-debit-card-worth-18750-price/

I can hardly wait for mine to arrive in an armoured vehicle.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

[postquote quote=972163][/postquote]

Oh My, and here was I so impressed by the AMEX Centurian Card, now there’s a solid gold card, at this rate I will never be able to keep up with the Jones’s!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have two Mastercard Platinum cards, and they offer me all the same benefits and are free thanks to my spend. At the end of the day the main use is to pay for goods and services and that I can do equally well with these cards without paying through the nose. It’s the main reason I gave up on AMEX some years ago.

JonathanHallSmith
    Participant

I am just musing over cancellation or not TBH. Big jump in charge, my main airport hub is Istanbul and currently there is no PP lounge. Wherever possible I travel THY and can use their lounge but not all the time. The hotel uplift is quite good but really a 125 uplift in charge for not much back by way of benefits is harsh.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls