Finally! The UK American Express Platinum Card is metal!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

• MMalins1
    Participant

What is the difference now with the Centurion card? Both metal, both offering lounge access, both offering travel insurance, etc.. But price difference between them is huge. Justified?

Chris in Makati
    Participant

This is the second substantial fee increase in seven years.

Back in 2011 the Amex Platinum Card cost £300 a year. It’s almost doubled since then.

That’s an increase of 8.47% a year, while UK CPI inflation has averaged 2.4% a year over that same period.

I believe that if you threaten to close your account there’s some room for negotiation, possibly with the increase at least deferred. It depends on how they assess the value of your account though.

Alexander
    Participant

Like a few responses, the fact that is Metal as opposed to plastic is neither here nor there. However, the predicted rise in annual fees is quite steep without really anything substantial in return. Because I’m over 70, I no longer qualify for the medical insurance which really pisses me off. However, they still charge the same annual fee but clearly provide a lesser service.

You would have thought that in this day and age, insurance should be able to provide reasonable cover for their more senior members. I still travel extensively for my business and grudge the loss of this aspect of my Platinum card.

MS
    Participant

[quote quote=936820]This is the second substantial fee increase in seven years.

Back in 2011 the Amex Platinum Card cost £300 a year. It’s almost doubled since then.

That’s an increase of 8.47% a year, while UK CPI inflation has averaged 2.4% a year over that same period.

I believe that if you threaten to close your account there’s some room for negotiation, possibly with the increase at least deferred. It depends on how they assess the value of your account though.[/quote]

They’ll just offer to double your points for each spend – that’s what they keep offering me each year.

MS
    Participant

[quote quote=936824]Like a few responses, the fact that is Metal as opposed to plastic is neither here nor there. However, the predicted rise in annual fees is quite steep without really anything substantial in return. Because I’m over 70, I no longer qualify for the medical insurance which really pisses me off. However, they still charge the same annual fee but clearly provide a lesser service.

You would have thought that in this day and age, insurance should be able to provide reasonable cover for their more senior members. I still travel extensively for my business and grudge the loss of this aspect of my Platinum card.[/quote]

I disagree, people love metal cards so much that they’re willing to report it as lost/stolen just so that the replacement card is metal. The metal cards introduced in America (think it was either Amex or Chase) was so successful that they ran out of the raw material to make the cards themselves! Really popular with the younger generation (i.e. millennials!)

capetonianm
    Participant

What is this obsession with metal cards? Revolut keep offering me one, which of course comes with a raft of benefits other than just being made of metal.

I know several people who have Revolut cards, all are fairly wealthy and travel widely. One is extremely wealthy (Sunday Times rich list wealthy!), and they all have the basic free one, as do I. Perhaps we don’t need status symbols at our age, but of course I’m not implying that upgrading for the benefits is seeking a status symbol.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=936955]What is this obsession with metal cards? Revolut keep offering me one, which of course comes with a raft of benefits other than just being made of metal.

I know several people who have Revolut cards, all are fairly wealthy and travel widely. One is extremely wealthy (Sunday Times rich list wealthy!), and they all have the basic free one, as do I. Perhaps we don’t need status symbols at our age, but of course I’m not implying that upgrading for the benefits is seeking a status symbol.[/quote]

I could build an argument around the other benefits and still make sense (1% cash back outside of the EU actually covers my annual cost), but in reality, I went for the Revolut metal card just for the fun! Now I was premium for the disposable virtual card (that I now systematically use online) so the difference was negligible (about 30 quids per year). So it had nothing to do with the symbol or status (it is only a Revolut after all), but I found it fun, and still do.

Montysaurus
    Participant

No one has answered my original question.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

[quote quote=937031]No one has answered my original question.[/quote]

The short answer is – ‘There is nothing special about it’.

The longer answer could be – ‘There is demographic that Amex thinks this will appeal to. They are probably correct. To perhaps the more seasoned it is merely a bit of stunt with no benefit at all, ever’.

handbag
    Participant

A some years ago we were offered the Amex Platinum for free and then carried on being free each year if you spent over a certain amount – think £25k. Cant remember when this stopped and we didn’t continue with the card. Think about 5-6 years ago, but might be longer.

capetonianm
    Participant

“American Express Card Services. How can I help you?”
    “Ah, good morning, this is Mr. xxxx. I’ve, umm, err, well, sort of, umm, lost my metal Amex Platinum Card number XXXX and I need a replacement.”
    “That’s fine Sir, we’ll just go through a couple of security questions and arrange to send a new one out to you.”
    ========
    Later that day at a sleazy back street jeweller’s shop just off Fulham High Street a somewhat furtive man hands the jeweller a few torn strips of metal that have been crudely compressed and hammered into a solid lump.

“Good afternoon. I was wondering if you could please tell me the value of this piece of platinum and how much you could offer me for it.”
    Jeweller gives customer pained look :
    “Look matey, you’re about the tenth person wot’s been in ‘ere this week. It’s bleedin light alloy innit, and it’s not even worf a penny.”

4 users thanked author for this post.

Celticplumber
    Participant

A few years ago having the Platinum card meant that you could also have the British Airways Amex card without charge. This benefit was dropped but inertia meant that I kept both cards. With this latest price hike, I now need to seriously consider which card gives me the most benefit – Platinum with (mediocre) travel insurance and priority pass, or BA with the annual companion voucher.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I read today that Amex are removing the restaurant meal option for Priority Pass users.

In airports where it was available, this used to be a nice alternative to using a lounge. I always used to enjoy my breakfast in the Grain Store at Gatwick South terminal.

American Express Removes Free Airport Lounge Meal Benefit From Platinum Cards

MS
    Participant

I know, that’s a real shame because I always go hopping around to all Priority Pass restaurants and get tons of free food and bottled water. But since Amex UK have not released any official communication about this yet, let’s suck this offer dry!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Celticplumber – [quote quote=937060]Platinum with (mediocre) travel insurance[/quote]

excuse the thread drift (well it is semi relevant), but I am always on the look out for a travel policy better than Amex plat card offering. Can you share who you would consider is better than the Amex plat card offering?

Many thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls