FFP redemptions…Hopeless?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

• Thunderbirds
    Participant

I’ve been flying many years, mostly leisure, and as a result I’m a member of BA and Monarch FF programmes. With any programme its value is based on ease of collecting points and ease of extracting value from those points. I can’t compare directly with other programmes (it would be helpful if someone can) but I can’t complain about the ease of collecting Avios (flight and non-flight) to fund a reasonable spending profile. Obviously the 241 is a killer advantage given that it is relatively easy to obtain. I’ve managed to get hold of pairs of F tickets to New York, San Fransisco, Sydney, Bermuda and have used MFU. I have two significant advantages though, no kids (most of the time) and have the flexibilty to book mid-week. I have seen flights start with free F seats but as soon as the doors close they are usually filled with status upgrades, surely there is a balance BA must strike between status upgrades and redemption availability, however imperfect. As for Monarch I can only say that collecting the Vantage club points is not easy, only flights, and so is not the main advantage for me. Instead Monarch offer Gold card holders free extra leg-room seats (effectively business class) for a no frills price but long gone is the business class lounge access. Between these two FF programmes and my IHG Platinum card I get by…

cityprofessional
    Participant

Just a quick observation from someone who has been a bmi/Star Alliance loyalist, and has suddenly been dumped into the world of Avios. I earn the majority of my miles from flying business class longhaul, and I expect to be able to redeem on business class longhaul, on East-West routes between the UK and Asia or Australia/NZ

I NEVER had any issues redeeming from Diamond Club (bmi) or Mileage Plus (United). Provided I was flexible with the airline and routing, I could pretty much fly any day I chose to SE Asia or Australia/NZ. I could take stopovers pretty much wherever I wanted. I mixed and matched airlines throughout Asia and Europe. If I was even slightly flexible, I could (and did) redeem in both F and C on SQ, including some terrific A380 experiences

Now having been frogmarched into Avios, it is virtually impossible to fly anywhere close to where I want to go. Stopovers are not permitted. Connections are non-existent. Redemptions across multiple airlines are well-nigh impossible to construct. For months on end there is zero availability for redemption or MFU, even into premium economy, on bread-and-butter trunk routes like LHR-SIN. What’s the point of having this oh-so-lauded 2-for-1 redemption certificate if you can’t even find one seat?

So, in answer to the OP, it’s not that FFP redemptions are hopeless, it’s just that SOME FFPs are completely useless

(And, yes, having just discovered this fact trying to make redemptions for next May and June, I am re-considering my new found loyalty to BA/OW – I guess they don’t want my paid long haul business class custom, and would rather I defect to Star or Emirates?)

VintageKrug
    Participant

BA simply isn’t the best option for redeeming on Asian routes.

Having said that, there’s plenty of partner availability (eg Finnair) on the SIN route.

Best to do what I do – earn where you can, and redeem to destinations where availability is better, purchasing cost-effective premium leisure fares in the sale when available on routes and dates when you need to travel, and don’t have flexibility.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I have found the same as many posters – availability on BA to spend avios is “challenging”. But availability on oneWorld partners is often a lot better. A little while ago I drew a complete blank on BA for a LHR-HKG return ticket, but found seats in all classes on the day I wanted to travel on Cathay Pacific.

One of the most interesting FFP schemes is that run by Icelandair. (I admit this may not be for everyone, and I declare an interest as a regular on the LHR-KEF run). Icelandair is half a budget airline (food for sale in economy, bucket-shop prices) and half a full fare airline (3-class aircraft with premium economy and business class to go with the base economy). As a result you can use their FFP points for (a) free flights, (b) upgrades, (c) hotels in Iceland and (d) to pay for food in economy class (which is the way I usually spend mine!). And there are few restrictions on any of the four.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What is the point of redeeming “to destinations where availability is better” is if you dont want to go there in the first place?

Better still, why dont avios just come out with blanket bans to certain destination in certain classes, just like VS used to do (and may still do) to Orlando in Upper (no redemptions).

Simples and expectations managed.

Binman62
    Participant

Martyn……you should now by now that you are pushing water up a hill.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Simple really. I redeem primarily to the USA, Caribbean and Middle East – all places BA has frequent services with nearby destinations if I can’t get exactly where I need to go.

But it’s very rare I don’t get the date/destination/cabin I want. Can’t recall having to materially change my plans in over ten years, except perhaps being forced in F when I’d rather have been in Club World.

For most Asian destinations, and intra-Asian travel, relied on bmi’s star partners.

But even saying that I did three F returns to SYD using BA and QF in as many years.

I like variety in my leisure destinations – and even your trips to Florida for example have the option of MIA, TPA, MCO and (at a pinch) ATL all getting me where I want to go with a short drive or easy connecting flight, and at the outside a JFK/EWR transfer is often available. BUt I’ve never yet had to resort to that.

Horses for courses!

You can keep pushing water uphill and berating BAEC, or you can do as I do and go with the flow, smiles all round, and continue to be very well served by the million or so avios I rack up annually.

Binman62
    Participant

Is this another reason availability ling haul and transatlantic is so awful?

http://www.frequentflier.com/blog/americans-50-buy-miles-bonus-is-its-best-ever/

Str8Talking
    Participant

I have to say that I too loved the Diamond Club but I can’t help but feel that among the many reasons BMI had been sinking for years, even after being bought by Lufthansa… was the generosity of its FFP.

I agree that it is not always easy to find CW/First redemptions on BA (although I normally have better luck with F than CW) but with a bit of flexibility and imagination, I have never had a problem finding what I want.

Aside from flight availability, I am very happy that FFPs such as the BAEC, have a very good mileage expiry policy which I find frustrating with most ME Airlines, especially Emirates. FFPs with short mileage validity periods can be great for those who earn just enough to book their next reward flights within said validity period and without wasting any, but if you are a high earner, you don’t want to see thousands if not millions of miles wasted in this way.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Everyone,
    Can anyone advise on what FFP charge least surcharge and tax for redemption, long haul?
    BA and Air france, from my experience are poor. They charge a lot.
    What about others? M&M, VS..?
    This would incentivise me to choose that FFP going forward

Thanks

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Rachid1974 – I think you will find that for any given route and class the airport tax will be the same regardless of airline. I have a feeling the fuel surcharge is also set (or capped) by the regulators so that may well be standard as well, but perhaps other more well-informed readers can confirm?

stevescoots
    Participant

Avios CE no problem at all
    Avios CW, i only really use BA out to Asia and impossible to get flights but no problem on OW partners Cathay or Finn
    QR, no problem getting seats but need to book 2-3 months in advance or can easily get hit for double points.
    I dont have enough points in my Skyteam or Star programs to look at flights for a long time

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG -Thanks
    Has BT ever run an analysis on fuel surcharge comparison by airlines, both paid tickets and redemptions ?
    This would really be interesting I think, not just for me I hope?
    Perhaps see also the evolution of airlines surcharge over time, compared to Oil price?

RoadKing
    Participant

When my wife and I had a flight in first class with LH/TG OSL – FRA -BKK – FRA – OSL last christmas, I think we paid in total around £500 on top of the pile of pts.

SimonS1
    Participant

In contrast to the thread elsewhere about Easyjet and extras, I have never really go the ‘fuel surcharge’ cost.

This is a basic component of providing a travel service which applies to all passengers. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a crack down on it in some way.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls