Famous Fellow Passengers

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)

• scott1nthesky
    Participant

In 2019 I visited KBP for a few days. On my return flight (BA) the Black Eye Peas were travelling after playing a concert. Will.i.am sat directly in front of me in 1A and his assistant was in 1C. He was extraordinarily arrogant – he refused to speak to the crew. His assistant said to the purser – “if you want to know if he wants something, you talk to me, not him.” He’d snap his fingers twice to get his assistant’s attention, who then would relay requests to the crew.

During the safety demo he spoke loudly on a mobile phone and continued to do so until we were wheels-up on ascent and he lost signal. Aside from his rudeness I was disappointed the crew let him ignore the safety rules. I’m ex crew (I spent 15 years in the sky, half of that with BA) and spoke to the purser during the flight about him. She said he was a well-known troublemaker and as long as no other pax complained about him they left him alone during the safety brief because he was known to be aggressive. Very odd.

Interestingly, a few months after my trip I noticed a news story about Will.i.am on a Qantas flight – the airline was supporting a cabin crew member to take legal action against him after he threatened her when she told him to be quiet during the safety demo.

2 users thanked author for this post.

David Granville
    Participant

At 17 sitting in First Class LHR/ANU I sat next to some guy in the music business called Robert (Stigwood) who then swapped seats with a guitarist whom I tried to impress with knowledge of drummer Ginger Baker’s Sahara tour – to which he responded yeah I played with him – so, Jack Bruce? I asked, nah the names Eric (Clapton) who proceeded to play Beatles numbers on his acoustic guitar sitting next to me. the crew only intervened when he lit a spliff. (Smoking was allowed in those days). He’d just recorded 461 Ocean Boulevard, was setting up a rehab centre in Antigua and was about to be filmed in Tommy the Musical. I still have his signature on my guitar – which I made in the shape of a BOAC Speedbird. Our dog is called Layla, of course

1 user thanked author for this post.

superchris
    Participant

Wow this has got me thinking!

The Beckhams once going through security at LHR T5. Really polite, waited their turn and hugely respectful to the staff.
    Liz Hurley once in the BA concorde room
    Onboard… Richard Gere, first class Lufthansa Singapore to Frankfurt upstairs in the bubble. He was sat at the back and whisked on at the last minute
    A certain supermodel on a BA first class to Miami in the brief period she wasnt banned. She treated the staff like dirt and the captain had to make an announcement to get her out of the bathroom as we were on finals.
    Richard Attenborough on a domestic to Glasgow
    Mark Knopfler business class Madrid to Heathrow in the late 90s.

midorosan2
    Participant

WoW what a great selection, I guess if one travels enough it is inevitable that one will meet interesting/famous people. My list without dates as I am getting too old to remember:-

1970s Elton John Paris to London last on the plane he sat next to me thanks to him I was able to contact Neil Diamond with whom EJ had been staying, I received Signed posters and LPs.

1980s Michael Hazeltine HKG LHR 1A he had just been fired by Margaret Thatcher, a few days later LGW SZG sat next to Michael Portillo who had also been sacked he remarked that to meet two ex ministers in a week must have been a record.

Gladys Knight and the Pips (the Pips were in the back) HKG LHR

1990s Concorde LHR JFK David Frost and Kenneth Galbraith who is very tall don’t know how he fared in the loo!

In the lift of the Mandarin HK in the 80s, Henry Kissinger and Stefanie Powers she was so much taller.

Restaurant in the Mandarin HK Bob Hawke PM of Australia retd. He sat and drank with us after his entourage had left.

justloveflying
    Participant

Unbelievable that someone with such global recognition feels he is above the law. It is a choice to be kind but it must really be a sign of huge arrogance to choose to be toxic.

justloveflying
    Participant

It makes me really happy to see that a thread I started has had so much response and all in a positive way. If only every person on the forum was as kind to show respect at all times. Really loving reading everyone’s stories !

justloveflying
    Participant

Nonstop Dan must have seen this thread as he coincidentally has a video where he lists famous people he has flown with..Hi Dan !

GordyUK
    Participant

Most recently was P!nk on A380 to LAX. She was extremely rude to people and disrespectful of the cabin. Conversely Vinny Jones was a total gentleman and so polite/engaging . Almost knocked over Kylie M, coming out of the lounge once too #embarassed

TonyR
    Participant

Almost knocked over Kylie M, coming out of the lounge once too #embarassed

You Should Be So Lucky! 🤣

7 users thanked author for this post.

highcadence
    Participant

A few years ago I sat with and chatted to the guys from the rock band Muse in business on the Eurostar from London to Paris. Super nice, happy to talk, no security, wheeled their own luggage. Fleet of Mercedes S-Classes waiting for them in Paris, but they told me Eurostar more efficient than private or commercial flight. I am a big fan so they were easy to recognise.

Said hello to Ethan Hawke in one of the LAX lounges years ago. Also met Chris Hemsworth in the elevator out of the lounge at Nice airport after the Monaco F1 Grand Prix.

MarkivJ
    Participant

gordyUK – is Kylie as tiny as they say she is?

Lindsay East
    Participant

Amsterdam to LHR, BA, sat next to Chris Patten, ex Governor HK. Nice guy, chatted about the future of HK. On arrival, he was whisked away, as a VIP. I was not!

Greg
    Participant

When I was gold with BA (many years ago) I dressed up really smart for a Club class flight from Jo’burg to London hoping for an upgrade to first. I needn’t have bothered. Nelson Mandela had the cabin up front to himself and his entourage.

I also had a good chat with Kenneth Clark in the BA Lounge at Istanbul (when it was open many years ago) so assume I sat relatively close to him too.

SimonS1
    Participant

Nothing remarkable really.

In about 2004, upper deck 747 CW to Johannesburg with Prince Harry and minder.

About a year before, Michael Foot at Gatwick. Very interesting guy, superb orator. I found out later he was almost 90.

FDOS
    Participant

When I moved to London in the early 80s, I lived on Highgate Hill and would walk across Hampstead Heath for some fresh air.

I once encountered Michael Foot, who was charming and took the time of day to talk. Another time, I met Warren Mitchell walking his dog, very nice, no celeb airs and happy to give me some pointers about London life.

Not all VIPs/celebs are prats.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls