Famous Fellow Passengers

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)

• justloveflying
    Participant

One often reads about famous people travelling on commercial flights.

But has anyone actually ever seen someone famous onboard ?

esselle
    Participant

I sat at a table in the Concorde Room in JFK adjacent to Andrew Lloyd-Webber and David Frost.

We were all eating the dish of the day, Chicken Vol-au-Vents, and had a lively discussion as to the likelihood of their making a culinary comeback.

3 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Some years ago, Englebert Humperdink (the modern one!) on a Lufthansa back from Munich to LHR, Also again some years back on a Qatar flight to Bangkok from Doha, one of the Thai princesses and her armed bodyguard – who stood throughout the flight! – returning from a Badminton competition somewhere.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Pierce Brosnan – earlier this year, LAX-LHR.
    In T5 arrivals, his Blacklane driver had a sign up with his name on it too.

Back in the late 1990’s – Tony Blair, LHR-MME.

Early ‘90’s – Elton John, LGW-ATL (DL).

3 users thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

I served LOTS when I was crew at BA.

Madonna

George Michael (lovely)

Paul O’Grady (adorable)

Naomi Campbell (lovely)

Mariah Carey

Joan Collins

Victoria Beckham (SO lovely)

David Beckham (one of the most charming celebs ever)

Spice Girls

Robbie Williams

Jake Gyllanhal (lovely)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

8 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

RF2: In another thread I described my frequent Manchester to London train journeys, up to three times a week. I know that this thread is about flying, but in First Class (in which I always travelled) I would often see the same celebrities and/or politicians, and got know some of them from the frequency of travelling with them.

However, the one story that sticks in my mind was when Sir Alex Ferguson (of Man United) was sitting with me at a table. He spoke to someone on his mobile phone so excitedly that I couldn’t avoid hearing him tell the person the other end that he had just signed up this “amazing kid who would one day become a world beater”. In answer to a question from the other person he said “Paul Scholes”. In case you are not into football, Paul did become a world-beater.

It was several days later before the news reached the sports pages.

6 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I was in a lift at the London National Theatre when to my amazement Dustin Hoffman stepped in to the lift, alone. I just couldn’t believe my eyes.

2nd, I was checking in at the Gatwick Sofitel and John Cleese was checking in in the queue in front of me. But it was AWFUL because everyone was just staring and staring fixedly at him without moving. John looked very, very uncomfortable (I don’t blame him). He checked in and moved off to the lifts at double speed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

tomyam42
    Participant

Both many years ago, Imelda Marcos in a Cathay 74 from Manila to Hong Kong, and the then son, now king of Thailand in a Thai 747 from Frankfurt to Bangkok. A German passenger made some loud complaints about the behaviour of the prince and was met by the police on arrival in Bangkok.

cwoodward
    Participant

Some years back (when business class was often 2-2-2) I was very fortunate to spend in the 1990’s two flights from Hong Kong to Auckland sitting next to Sir Edmund Hillary (the flights were some 4 or 5 years apart) on both occasions as I recall he was returning to NZ from his Himalayan foundation.
    He was more than happy to chat about rugby, bee-keeping (an avid bee-keeper since youth) and things related to the foundation. A very pleasant unassuming ‘down to earth’ chap. These were a few hours that I will always remember.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

In one of my flight out of LHR, prime minister of the destination country travelled. He and entourage were on first class and I was in business; so cannot really say fellow passenger. The embarkation and disembarkation were both right from the aircraft at the tarmac via staircase of the aerobridge, that I could watch from my window seat.

During few others journey, travelled with a few lesser known celebrities from Hollywood, Charlie Sheen was one of them and he was very gentleman during the flight! And a few times with well known celebrities from Bollywood and a few ministers during my many India domestic travels and interesting to watch they were always on Row 1 and so well taken care by the crews even during those short 1-2 hours trip.

stevescoots
    Participant

Z list for me. took a pee stood next to Robson Green in the QF lounge HKG once, if that counts lol. Lounge in T3 sat opposite Sophie Ellis Bexter and her entourage. in front of Andrew Neil “brillo” at T5 F check in. judging from some passengers reactions on flights there must have been several others but I am not celeb spotter

SimonS1
    Participant

Prince Harry in 2003 going to Johannesburg.

esselle
    Participant

Presumably not on a one way ticket?

PatJordan
    Participant

Several years ago on EI Premier Class LHR-DUB…..remember the Green Mile, LHR T1??

I was disembarking a few steps behind Brenda Fricker. I managed to catch up with her and bade her good evening, adding that I had recognised her from behind.

Quick as a flash she smiled and said “ah you recognised my big behind!”. I was speechless for a few seconds, and then Ms Fricker burst out laughing at my discomfort!

A true lady.

Happy Christmas all, and safe travels.

justloveflying
    Participant

An impressive list ! Keep them coming !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls