Etihad Airways announces more cutbacks

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Etihad is now following Emirates by charging to reserve certain onboard seats.

http://www.etihad.com/en-be/plan-and-book/preferred-seat/

Etihad has also emailed its frequent flyers to say that it will close its Six Senses Spa, located within its London Heathrow lounge, from August 31.

Here is our report on the Etihad lounge published in 2009.

Etihad lounge to open at Heathrow T4

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well the airline faced unplanned petty expenses lately…

MarcusGB
    Participant

It goes with my previous posts about every ground service, cars included, lounges, FFFP restrictions, and minor adjustments on board even in First and business too.

Air Berlin, Alitalia, very bad strategy and choices made, expansion when the European Markets are solidly packed with low cost especially.
    They would have been better to be modest, stick with what they did best and excel.
    Starting as a unique boutique Airline, and now cutting that back erases what distinguishes them as Different and special.
    Having flwon them 11 years, Gold member FFP level, every aspect has changed, and i will no longer fly with them.
    My last First class in Feb, was disappointing, cuts showed up clearly. Lounge in Melbourne was a mess with snacks and poor quality food, and i told two visiting Australia Brand managers from The Airline then. They knew it too, but out of their control they said.

I have booked another 1st one way Ex Australia with all the miles i have, but no more custom after that.

I have said some time ago, i really do think the ME carriers have reached their share cpacity from The Worlds other Airlines.
    Too greedy, too ambitious, and taking from other Companies.
    Perhaps this is why Airlines like KLM are thriving now. they are holding their ground and taking some back?

first_class_please
    Participant

I believe charging for prefered (exit) seats has been the norm for quite a while now.

As yet I have not received any email re the LHR lounge change from Etihad. (Platinum member)

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am not sure, Marcus, it was a bad strategy. I rather think it was a poor implementation. Etihad Regional (formerly known as Darwin) works well, I think. But thinking they could make money with Alitalia was naive… As for Air Berlin, their expansion strategy killed them… All in all, the three ME airlines were just too agressive and now pay for that…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello first_class_please: I must stress that Etihad has yet to inform the media of the Spa closure at LHR so readers of this Forum are amongst the first to know of this development.

I have seen an official communication from Etihad to one of its loyalty passengers which states that the Spa will be closing on August 31. It also says “We [Etihad] will soon be introducing more areas for you to relax as well as some new food and drink options to make your lounge experience more convenient.”

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=823521]I am not sure, Marcus, it was a bad strategy. I rather think it was a poor implementation. Etihad Regional (formerly known as Darwin) works well, I think. But thinking they could make money with Alitalia was naive… As for Air Berlin, their expansion strategy killed them… All in all, the three ME airlines were just too agressive and now pay for that…

[/quote]

Interesting to note SwissDiver, that Etihad regional seems to have gone back to Darwin, at least at Lugano.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry, I stand corrected on my previous post which I can no longer edit. Etihad Regional still very much in existence at Lugano. I was looking at FlightRadar24 yesterday and it showed Darwin – not Etihad – hence my comment. Apologies.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=823580]
    Interesting to note SwissDiver, that Etihad regional seems to have gone back to Darwin, at least at Lugano.
    [/quote]

Thanks, LP. It seems indeed things changed last month:
    Adria airways owners buy Etihad Regional

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just want to point out that the Spa closure affects only the one at LHR and not, for the time being at least, the Etihad Spas at its AUH hub. Details below.

http://www.etihad.com/en-gb/experience-etihad/lounges/first-and-business-class-lounges/?cid=aff-affaffwin&awc=5326_1503312280_71f9362781058eafe3d1195d70474b90

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks, LP. It seems indeed things changed last month:
    Adria airways owners buy Etihad Regional

[/quote]

So I was correct. I’m going to the airport this evening for a drink so I’ll see what name the offices now have.
    Interestingly Adria is part of Star Alliance so I’ll now get miles again when I go to Geneva.

My comment earlier reminds me of an old adage:
    “I’ve only ever made one mistake in my life, and that’s when I thought I made an error but later realised i hadn’t” 😉 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just went to the airport and as we drove past an Etihad Regional plane coming into land flew right over our heads! Talk about Synchronicity. The office / crew lounge are gone and now house the Aero Club, but couldn’t find the Adria offices.

esselle
    Participant

Hello LP

“Going to the airport for a drink” doesn’t sound like a natural choice.

Is there something special there we should all know about?

Regards.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=823683]Hello LP

“Going to the airport for a drink” doesn’t sound like a natural choice.

Is there something special there we should all know about?

Regards.

[/quote]

There is Esselle. It’s been taken over by a new owner who has several places in Lugano. There’s a great outdoor lounge where you can enjoy a cigar, drink and a snack or meal. It’s used by flight crew, airport workers, locals and of course passengers.

It’s aviation themed and the menus are in the old Jeppesen flight manuals. If you’re ever this way it’s well worth a visit.

https://www.caffedellaeroporto.ch/

esselle
    Participant

Thanks LP.

Wow. Looks like a great spot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls