Etihad Airways announces more cutbacks

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Not that I pay much attention to Skytrax ratings (some of the so called five star airlines I completely disagree with) but it’s interesting to see that Etihad has lost its coveted position in the ‘five star club’ and been relegated down to a four star airline.

Not sure when it happened but I guess Skytrax had to take action. The reviews on their own website were becoming pretty much consistently negative and making a mockery of the five stars Skytrax had awarded.

alainboy56
    Participant

@FDOS_Uk – If you understand how things work down in these parts you will appreciate that they already are, since many years.
    However the appearance and admission of such will take some time yet. Its all to do with ‘Face’. The following is deliberately obtuse, but its clear I hope.
    Firstly, do not think it is all big brother over little sister, due to the debacle in the latter in the past 3 years, think back about 10 years to the time of the World Banking crisis in the late noughties. There was also a big airline crisis due to VARS or whatever that Asian virus was called. Then, exactly who had dozens of new superjumbo aircraft ordered and were parking them prior to delivery? And who supported them?
    Move forward again 5 years or so, when oil was over US$130/barrel, who struggled to buy oil on the market, so much so, that petrol pumps ‘ran out’ of supplies for a short period until again, it is believed somebody stepped in to help out and calm the situation………………

alainboy56
    Participant

@MarcusGB _ following your contribution, I also have been a loyal GOLD member almost from the outset in, I think 2005.
    Onboard service was fantastic, on the ground too. They really were a boutique airline and one, being an AD resident that I was very proud of.
    However things began to go badly wrong with useless ill conceived investments in AZ/AB/HM etc and rebranding from a very regal ‘look’ to some iffy patchwork design which has lost imho EY’s image of high class service. Since then, perhaps the last 5 years it has really gone downhill and extremely fast.
    I try not to fly with them, as I had vowed never again, after they absolutely lied about a marketing email they put out.
    However, I have gone back on my word to use them this year a few times, merely AUH-MCT returns and because their schedule suited me better than Oman Air’s.

To reinforce my views on them, when one is making check-in. In that process, you are asked if you wish to reserve a seat. On the last occasion, as I could see the flight was quite empty, I declined and completed the Check-In process. It assigned me ’11B’ a central seat, out of pure nastiness and vindictiveness!!
    Is this really the way to treat a customer who prefers not to pay for seat reservation on a full service airline. I might add that tickets are also very expensive in comparison to Europe for a 50 min chocks/chocks flight time. More than Euro300, so they have absolutely no excuse whatsoever for this marketing strategy.

So like you MarcusGB I have also left EY. My loyalty is zero now.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=934285]Not sure when it happened but I guess Skytrax had to take action. The reviews on their own website were becoming pretty much consistently negative and making a mockery of the five stars Skytrax had awarded.[/quote]

Good point. Etihad have been unique in their fall from grace in most respects, on board and on the ground, both hard and soft products. Wonder if the brand is permanently damaged?

[quote quote=935002]It assigned me ’11B’ a central seat, out of pure nastiness and vindictiveness!![/quote]

As Gold, being forced to pay for a seat at check in sounds rough. That said, Aegean now force even their top frequent flyers to pay for seats at or in front of the overwing exits even at check in. The result is that they fill last via online check-in and then get given to non status frequent flyers checing in at the airport. It’s a mockery to those who are loyal but sadly the way of many ‘premium’ airlines these days. Not great.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I wonder if standards have declined for The Residence ?

It’s still being sold at a LHR-AUH price of £9,269 one-way.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=935050]wonder if standards have declined for The Residence ?
    It’s still being sold at a LHR-AUH price of £9,269 one-way.[/quote]

Good question! Have always wondered what demand for that product is like given the rise of the affordable private jet market in the last few years. It is certainly a great gimmick or marketing ‘hero product’ but I doubt there would be a steady market for it. Does anyone who actually flies the Etihad A380 in F frequently have any views?

alainboy56
    Participant

@EUFlyer – just to correct a misunderstanding. I am no longer an EY GOLD GUEST member since maybe 3 years, since I gave up on them.

woodyhoo
    Participant

i am EY gold ,flying with them since 2005 usually DUB-AUH-BKK .I can only add to the dissatisfaction expressed.

It seems they let former CEO James Hogan loose with the purse and he made some bad investments.

I believe he has moved to investment banking now?????

I guess they are trying to recoup, but cutting service is not the way to go.

My first hit was when they cut the limo service for biz pax.

I switched to QR.

My last 2 biz class flighs have been with CX and AY

CX thru HKG has a better schedule for me and there are threats of improving service!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls