Duty free & Tax Free Shopping Dead

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, it does seem absurd you can buy vat free abroad but not in the UK, but the vital rule is the goods must be exported from the EU for the VAT to be reclaimed.

RichHI1
    Participant

And the worst of all is the stupide Defra rules…. You can bring in unpasteyrized cheese from France, Bug Ridden Sprouts from Germany, Meat Products and Fruit from Bulgaria but if you follow the rules importing a bottle of Ranch Salad Dressing purchased in a US Grocery Store is technically illegal. The Defra rules are supposed to protect Frams, farming and health for the UK and instead they are used as another EU propogandist step. Many other countries such as the US and Japan have import rules which are based on risk assessment not political dogma. FOr example when the UK had BSE Meat products and Dairy products were banned and everyone paddled through the trays on landing. WHen the issue was resolved then certain meat and dairy products that do not pose risk are allowed again. CA and HI ban certain fruits and vegetables that are not inspected as they can cause damage. For any credibility the stupid EU obsession that Defra has need to be changed. Remember the outcry when the Grmans banned SPanish Cucumbers until they realized it was a German problem. It is ludicrous countries in the EU have to allow poisonous products into their country to be good Europeans.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, we have to follow EU rules, no matter how stupid, because we are in the EU. DEFRA has been penetrated by Common Purpose assets, and so will gold plate EU rules and regulations to the detriment of Britain.

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes Bucksnet I know. Given the country’s belt tightening (well those at the bottom of the scale anyway) it would be interesting to air the figures on how mcuh net contributions to the EU cost this year, the runnign costs of the EU “parliament” and “commission” and the cost to the UK of implementing all these EU political agendas.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, some years ago the UK treasury done an analysis of the direct and indirect costs of being in the EU. The report said the cost to the UK was between £150-175 billion per year. It was of course quietly buried by CP assets in the Cabinet Office.

Binman62
    Participant

I spend little at LHR period. It is expensive.
    Booze when flying to the USA is about the only exception.
    Smellies can be obtained from a fab web site in the UK for less than LHR. Sites name is …….

RichHI1
    Participant

So Bucksnet as the forecast PSBR for 2012 is 122 Bn GBP if UK left the EU there would be enough money to have a zero PSBR and pay off 55 Bn GBP from the UK national debt of 1004 Bn GBP (excluding bank bail out).
    Being in the EU rather than EEA makes so much sense….

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Often, if I have to change planes anyway, I do so in ZRH.
    From a duty free point of view, Switzerland is NOT an EU member and you can buy duty free on departure and bring goods back on returning.

If you buy ciggies, alcohol and some Swiss specialties, it is definitely worth while.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Regarding the EU, it is the wet dream of many politicians to have more influence and power by creating a meta-EU state, without national interests.
    At the time being, German electorate has their pension age increasd to 67, while they pay billions for Greece, where you can retire with 55. And as one poster said before, the worst are the parasites of the EU administration with their privileges, taxfree income und dutyfree shopping of all goods.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, it’s not that straight forward. The government would save money of course, but most of the costs of the EU are on people and business. Tax revenues would go up and there would be a big economic boost, which would further increase revenues.

Government borrowing could be eliminated so taxes and duties could come down, but as the banks create the money we use ‘out of thin air’ and the banks control the EU, it just aint happening.

PeterPR
    Participant

Oh, please; can we resisit the temptation to discuss the horrors of being in the EU, or indeed the joys? These opinions have been expressed now in several threads in BT, and regular readers are well aware of the views expressed.

RichHI1
    Participant

PeterPR fair point save to observe that the current state of Duty or Tax Free shopping is a direct result of EU activity.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Indeed. Duties and taxes would be much lower if we were not in the EU, and being in this corrupt club means we lose our tax-free little perks on most short haul travel.

My posts about the EU relate to the topic concerned. Subjects like CP assets in government blocking much needed infrastructure investment, while at the same time promoting money wasting schemes like HS2, Heathwick and Boris Island, really make my blood boil so I have to have a rant. They also raise awareness of the issues that affect us all, and gives us a better understanding of the reasons why.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Talking of spending anybody know where you can get any of those £5 BAA vouchers as I am flying from Glasgow on Monday.

BeckyBoop
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls