Duty free & Tax Free Shopping Dead

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

• Anonymous

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

I keep fining that Shops at airports are not doing Duty free or Tax free any more the number at LHR is a joke that will not give you Duty free or Tax free shopping.

Mulberry at T5 does not give Tax free shopping and Hermès does not give Tax free shopping to people living in the EU. They is many more other shops to, like Boots and the food stores like Pret. With Duty Free Wine and Etc you can buy it cheaper at Tesco.

I just think its a joke that so many shops don’t give Duty free & Tax Free Shopping anymore at the airport some do but they might follow and not give it.

I do not known the in workings of Duty free & Tax Free Shopping rules etc, just not a happy shopper.

NTarrant
    Participant

Chris, for travel between EU countries there is no such thing as duty free shopping. That all ended in about circ 1998. You may note that is some shops they show two prices, depending on where you are travelling.

As for Boots etc they are just cashing in on the travelling public, there is nothing wrong in that, it is no different to having Upper Crust or WHSmith at a railway station.

You can get some bargains on things like perfume but it is wise to check before you travel. If you are travelling within EU you can at least take advantage of the collection service so you can buy before going out and collect on your return.

Before Christmas I purchased my wife some perfume at the World Duty Free shop in T5, where it cost me £53.50. The same perfume was £65.00 in BRU and £78.00 in DXB. The cost to buy it in Debenhams was £62.00, so LHR T5 was the cheapest

esselle
    Participant

There are some bargains to be had though……..I bought my wife a v. expensive Chanel watch in T5 at the VAT free price (ie a 20% saving)even though I was leaving LHR on a domestic flight. Not quite sure how it works, and I did double check with the sales assistant that I was entitled to this discount!!

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

I known duty free ended but was trying to say that lot of Shops give tax free still but others dont, in one of the shops the person told me it up to the shop if they want to give it tax free as its still a tax free zone.

I known about duty free on smokes and wine etc where there is Duty paid, but they still can give tax free shopping as its a tax free zone for all shopping.

With duty free on wines, gin etc even with duty free out side of EU you can still get it cheaper on the high street.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Esselle ty you see the same why some giving Tax free on all flights or just a litte off on all flights, its madness:S

I been told by the sales people in the shops they can give it tax free up to the company if they want to bleed you dry:p

NTarrant
    Participant

Chris, they can give VAT free shopping to all, as in esselle’s example of getting it on a domestic flight. You can also use the collect on return on a domestic flight too.

Duty is a different matter and it does depend on the goods in question.

As regards wine, you can get a cheap bottle of plonk as you say at any old supermarket (Tesco etc) but you would struggle to get the same bottle in an airport shop

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Ntarrant is there actually a difference between duty and tax? i thought they both mean the same things. Also why dont EU travellers get the same as non EU travel?

Chris last year i picked up a PSP for my brother and it was about the same price as Amazon but i could still get to him quicker than the delivery date estimation and two years ago i got an ipod which was a couple of pounds more expensive than online but cheaper and quicker if i included the delivery. So for electronics its deffo better. Otherwise i prefer to shop at the end the destination esp NYC and the Abercombie and Fitch store… BOOM!! 🙂

Have any of the girls been to the Jimmy Choo in T4 they apparently have great bargins on end of line stuff 😉

esselle
    Participant

BB

Simple version ; Duty is a specific levy typically applied to alcohol and tobacco, tax is a general charge, in this instance referring to VAT.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Thanks

NTarrant
    Participant

Becky, yes there is. The duty is one “tax” abit like the duty on a litre of petrol is say 90p, the actual cost of the petrol is say 25p, add those together, then you add VAT at 20%, so your litre of petrol costs £1.38. So the tax element £1.13.

The EU stopped duty free between mainland states many years ago and between the UK and EU in circ 1998, which spelt the end of the “booze cruises” to France etc. You essentailly have free movement around the EU which is why there is the difference, that is putting aside arguments regarding Schenzen which have been aired on these threads but has not a lot to do with duty free.

Some Amazon prices will increase soon as a result of the govenment cutting out the loop hole which has mean getting items under a certain value VAT free such as CD’s which have been shipped from the Channel Islands, which are not members of the EU (or the UK), so you can’t use the pick up on return.

Hope that helps

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Yes, thanks.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

If they can give tax free shopping why are they not all doing it!!!!!!

NTarrant
    Participant

I think you will find Chris is that essentially they are selling tax free where applicable. You have to bear in mind that for some travellers they would not have the opportunity to purchase some items in the likes of Tesco and so whatever price the shop charges it will be cheaper than they can get at home.

I made the mistake of going on a business trip and forgot to take my lap top charger and I was away for a week. I had to pay £90.00 from Dixons for a charger, which I could have got one in PCWorld for less than half that price. But its the old needs must and I had no choice.

RichHI1
    Participant

As observed Duty Free was killed by the EU for Intr EEA travel. Duty Free was taken away from tobacco at UK airports a long time ago. There used to be 2 prics at LHR when they stupidly labeled Europe or International (obviously they did not realise Europe was international). Last time I bought a bottle in LHR I think they had gone to 1 duty included price.
    Tax Free should only apply to sales outside of the EU, however the stores have been swallowing the VAT which is why if you buy something at LHR and bring it back to UK or pick it up on return you are not liable to pay VAT on it whereas if you purchase something going somewhere else, it will contribute to your tax free allowance which in the UK is pitifully small. Presumably why no one ever declares anything.

The pricing level at LHR has hardly ever been competitive with Internet sites or elcetronics discount stores and the convenience factor (something to do) accounts for much of their sales.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls