Duty free & Tax Free Shopping Dead

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

It should be noted that while “duty free” was abolished for intra EU travel, the EU Parliament kept it for themselves, as do Embassy’s who are allowed duty free and tax free baccy, booze, fuel and even cars.

One rule for them etc…

Tramor01
    Participant

Yes LP I fully agree with you when it come to duty free sales it’s one rule for the “waste of space EU parasites” and another for the rest of us
    The irony is that “duty free” alcohol makes the retailer far more profit than domestic UK sales – you are actually paying more in reality for the whisky, gin or whatever

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, Europe is not regarded as international because the plan is for an EU superstate that is all merged together at every level, and the end of nation states. It’s all being done slowly and by stealth, with deliberately created financial ‘crises’ to justify new powers. That marxist Pole David Milliband let this slip in an interview a few years ago.

As for duty free, the price charged is well above the normal price minus the duty, but still of course much cheaper.

NTarrant
    Participant

Rich you have contradicted yourself! Stores don’t swallow VAT at airports, there is none as the rules allow items to be exempt. The collect on return is a good way to get people to buy before they go. It can’t be used on non-EU because of the allowances.

Not sure why you say a pitiful allowance as it is greater than it was many years ago. As I said you can get bargains on some items at LHR and others, cheaper than internet but you do have to do research first.

RichHI1
    Participant

NTarrant, if you can supply further info, I would be grateful. I was told by the manager of a Tax Free Watch retailer where I bought a watch that purchases to EU destinations, the sales were not free of VAT but the retailers discounted this. If this is incorrect and the VAT rules allow airports to sell otherwise Vat leviable goods exempt from Tax I am thankful for the info.
    As regards allowances…. Comparing the current UK limits to the UK in the past just shows the depth of the problem…
    Australia A$900
    US $800
    Canada CAN$750
    Japan ¥200,000

UK £390
    Yet no limit for EU purchases….

Bucksnet, yes I know the conspiracy continues as the snouts line up for the trough. I see Cameron talking about anti business “snobbishness” referring to those with morals in society. One wonders how long before those of us who regret accession to the EU are called snobbish. Never mind we have lots more fun and games as we wait for the Euro to finally collapse after the next two rounds of bailouts and the German electorate putting their feet down.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I find the only real bargains now at BAA airports is fragrances when travelling in the EU and even on domestic flights When I am running low I love wandering around just getting inspiration as well as replenishing my favourite fragrances.

Also when departing places like Prague and Budapest you are paying the local taxes in the airport shops and saving a few £ on high street prices but to be fair the supermarkets are often competitive on alcohol now its not worth it.

On the Electrical side, I never really look. Sometimes I might get my toiletries from Boots and they always used to be a bit cheaper than their high street counterpart.

On the subject of NYC or the US in General I have to top up my Abercrombie & Fitch fragrance Fierce. It really pi**es me off that I pay $55 for the same bottle that will cost me £55 in London.. Though I did manage to get a 200ml bottle in London for £100 the other day but it now cant go in my hand luggage any more. Never mind.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Folks its simples;
    Travel outside the EU then any items that would normally carry excise duty i.e. Perfume, Alcohol and cigarettes are worth buying. Any other item you see being sold at an airport regardless of how the store may mark it down are not duty, tax or VAT free, they are simply enticing a purchase. If you get what you believe to be a bargain, great be happy.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

G&T you are so write i find clothes and jewelry the worst offers. But so far i have not had a problem with electronics i tend to check the prices before i go anyway. It is also safer to buy them in the UK at least then you don’t have hassles with the warranty and know it will work with UK electrics if thing go wrong. I know Kindle’s are really popular at the moment and you can get up to £10 off and the covers are also cheaper. Sometimes the prices may be the same as online or more expensive but cheaper and quicker if you include delivery charges. So KeaneJohn do have a look but remember check prices and know what you are after before you go.

Guys I think Ntarrant covered this but I don’t quite understand it (sorry) but what happens if you do buy stuff on the way back at duty free abroad either in the EU or out. Do you have to declare that at customs on your return? Likewise if stuff abroad you but is tax free do you not have to declare it on your return? I did look at the HRMC website but all they talk about is ciggies and alcohol.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Hi BB beyond cigs and booze, arriving in the UK from outside EU you can additionally bring in goods up to a value of £390. (Origin purchase price)
    So next time you hit 5th avenue and spend beyond £390, you are technically to declare the merchandise to HMRC on arrival and maybe liable for VAT or duty depending on the item, this is regardless of where and under what conditions you purchased them. Meaning even though you may have paid the tax or equivalent to VAT in the country of purchase it’s the allowance the UK allows before considering collecting further revenue.

BB it’s easy to spend over £390 I often do and return through the green channel with my head hung low!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Thanks hun sadly i don’t spend enough time in NY to break that limit or i never have enough money 😉 but i know i could blow that just on a pair of shoes..lol, NY is great, if i do though and declare it on the way back do you get a cheaper rate?

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Most import duty rates are nominal but its the VAT you must be sure that any discount covers. To be honest I do believe most HMRC are not looking out for the odd jeans or nice pair of shoes. However when Colleen Rooney got of a Jfk-Man flight some time ago the customs made a b-line for her and did her for all the gear she had from Bloomingdales.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

At least she has the money ..lol ;o) so trash the bags and receipts and claim you bought most of the stuff before you left ;), thanks again.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As much as I detest not having a UK lane only at border control, I also just cant get around the idea of there being a counter at airports with:

“line up line up, get your VAT refunds here!”

I know the former is down to Europe and the latter down to the rules of VAT, but I still find it incomprehensable that a tax is charged and then refunded on departure, but only if you are a foreigner!!

I know we can benefit overseas, but it just never seems worth the hassle for the amounts involved for us Brits.

Plain daft!

stevescoots
    Participant

200 B&H, approx 36 quid in LHR, 600 B&H approx 38 quid in Doha, 200 B&H approx 30 quid in PRG and thats not duty free either.

such a variance.

for example I never buy smellies in HKG, only LHR as its much cheaper

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Becky, the rules on duty free are simple. If you spend over £390 at the airport in the UK or abroad, you will be charged (if you declare it or are stopped) the duty and vat. Further you will be charged on the full amount without deduction of the allowance.

if you’re slightly over the limit, it’s rare for HMRC to levy a charge but never deny if over limit and asked, as the penalties can be draconian.

Finally, HMRC are well aware of the throw away receipts etc racket. For electrical goods they can tell from the serial numbers if it was imported into the UK or not. Shoes, clothes etc are harder but there are lots of giveaways. The digger you deep under questioning the higher the penalty.

Better to fess up immediately!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls