Do They Think It’s All Over? BA Shares Soar 25% in Past Month

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

• Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Earthquake, Tsunami in Japan yet Nikkei down only 7%….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12710555

and what element of BA income is derrived from Egypt, Bahrain Libya etc? … 1%?
    BA has inversely bucked the market yet again by significantly underperforming the FTSE. Lufthansa down just 6% in past month.

High performing companies have a culture of Ownership, Accountability, Responsibility. Low performing companies have a culture of blame, excuses and denial. Where would you put Lufthansa? BA?

Time for Walsh to repair the schisms he has created, stop the bullying, intimidation and victimisation and build a unified team.

Potakas
    Participant

Maybe you should consider the oil prices as well…..

http://www.moneyweek.com/news-and-charts/market-data/oil

Here is the share prices of AF/KLM

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AF.PA#symbol=af.pa;range=6m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=;

Here is Lufthansa’s

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=LHA.DE#symbol=LHA.DE;range=6m

Edit to add

Where did you got the 7% for Nikkei ???

It is -18% the last 5 days…

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^N225#symbol=^n225;range=5d;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=;

Hippocampus
    Participant

Of course, if the IAG share price had outperformed the market, Willie Walsh would be accused of putting shareholders before staff.

And be careful what you wish for. There are lots of things that IAG could do to boost the share price in the short term (outsource LHR/LGW ground handling, sell/outsource short haul etc) and staff certainly wouldn’t appreciate it.

IAG has been clear to the City that there is a four year plan to deliver cost and revenue benefits from the merger, so it is somewhat premature to judge it two months in.

“a culture of blame, excuses and denial” A perfect description of BASSA!

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

… or is it that WW is allowing the price to tank then recover to 275 so the great white hype’s thread title regains an iota of credibility? 😉

Potakas
    Participant

”The first of several new fuel efficient 777s came onstream last month, and the launch of the Club World/London City A318 service direct to New York starts in September, for which forward sales are apparently buoyant, supported by a resurgent international banking sector, and consolidation with either IB or AA cannot be far off..”

Those are strategic moves and WW is responsible for those. (Although the better economic condition globally helps)

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Today we see IAG/BA at an all time low of 136p.

Thought I would reprise this thread where Krug was constantly promoting BA shares ……… now they are at an all time low – silence.

Interestingly he omitted the start point back in Jan 07 – share price circa 530p.

Be Outstanding Walsh equates to >75% loss of value.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I remain short IAG. Competition pressure, high fuel costs, still relatively high staff costs and the economy in the doldrums. Can’t see why anyone would be bullish of BA shares at the moment.

Binman62
    Participant

It cannot help that IAG are based in Spain with all the travails that that country is enduring.
    It is however a buying opportunity for some cash rich Mid East carrier and or other business with some new ideas for BA.
    As a fan, it does seem that they are losing their way and it has been a very long time since they led the world in aviation product and delivery. New First being an example of how they are well down the list in terms of product and delivery. I was reading an article on another travel site recently which stated.
    “BA has an excellent business class product that they market as First Class!”
    Exaggerated perhaps but when you read the items on BT about New First being cramped and the superb products being offered by others, it is not hard to see why such comments could and are being made. It is a long way from being the “The World’s Favourite Airline”
    They have lost my business and that of my family this year other than for redemptions and I am currently burning my way through 1.3 million Avios and 4 x2 4 1 vouchers. I was looking at booking last night and was horrified to note that Fees and Charges are now £560 per person for a transatlantic flight! The fuel surcharge has now risen to be more than 3 times the level of UK APD and given the other hidden fees -for changes and alterations- BA is simply making itself uncompetitive. They do not reward loyalty as there is no rhyme or reason to release of redemption seats other than last minute availability for upgrades. They have destroyed value via the introductions of a myriad of fees including the for the use of their own branded credit card and this simply makes them look grasping and cheap.
    And all this for premium products that are hardly world leading and who’s delivery can often be inconsistent at best and downright awful at worst.
    There are plus point such as T5, lounges, improvements in food in some circumstances but to justify the level of fares being demanded it really needs to be very much better.
    So between being based in Spain and having such inconsistent and expensive products one cannot be overly surprised by the performance of the shares.
    Time for some new thinking

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls