Do They Think It’s All Over? BA Shares Soar 25% in Past Month

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

• Jumpseats
    Participant

time of the month eh vintage krug?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

“- the best thing to do is ignore them. Believe me they will go away eventually.”

Does that also apply to you, VK? A number of us very much hope so.

If anyone on here is a troller, it is you, “old chap.” In the time I’ve been a user of the Forum, you were one of the first posters to start belittling other contributors. You have poked fun at posters’ age, perceived class, and other insults. However, it now appears that you cannot reap what you yourself have sown.

You are an utter hypocrite and I hope that Mr Otley will stop defending people like you. I don’t know if you have some connection to Business Traveller, but you seem to get away with an attitude that the rest of us cannot.

I would also add that I’ve stopped actively contributing to this Forum largely because of the attitude of you and one or two other obvious trollers and/or wind-up merchants. I also know that I am far from alone in feeling like this.

Your attitude is undermining this Forum. Please change your attitude and do what you’re best at, which (when you want to) is making often very valuable contributions.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Like my good friend Hess, I am a relative newcomer to this forum but it did not take me too long to discover that VK is a big fan of BA and that Airpocket is not!. VK and Airpocket are certainly not going to be on each other’s Xmas card lists and are never likely to agree on anything.

Airpocket, I agree with Hess and many others, it is time for you to stop your personal attacks on VK. I have said many times before in other threads that I do not know and am not too interested in what started you two going at each other but it is becoming tiresome and very predictable.

VK, it is true that in this thread, Hess seemed to get the wrong end of the stick as it would appear that on this occassion, as you point out, you were not attacking Airpocket personally. That said however you are not blameless as you have on other occassions used language that many would perceive as unacceptable and would be seen as a personal attack on Airpocket. I do not see the relevance of how long Hess or I or indeed any new contributors have been involved in this forum. Personal attacks of any nature against anyone are not acceptable at any time.

We should be able to police ourselves but that means that we all need to behave and post in an appropriate manor all of the time. Is it possible that you and Airpocket could refrain from using the forum to verbally attack each other unless it is to have a civilised debate on factual issues relevant to any of the comments that are being made.

Now that I have got that off my chest, I can comment on the actual topic of the thread.

For the record, again, I am no longer a fan of BA but nor am I a BA basher. I am pleased to see that the share price is performing well at the moment and I hope that continues as it will hopefully mean that BA can survive the current economic crisis and come out of it stronger and better equipped for the future.

I will be interested to see what happens to the share price if there is a strike by the cabin crew? We do not know yet which way this will go as there are as far as I am aware still ongoing negotiations with the unions. There is also the small matter of what effect there will be on premium passenger numbers as a result of the decision to charge for choosing a seat at the time of booking if you do not fall into one of the categories of people who are exempt from them. A number of BA fans on this forum have said that they will fly with other carriers rather than pay the seat selection charges. No one who has posted on this thread so far has commented on either of those important issues.

I may not fly with BA but that does not mean I want to see them go to the wall.

VK, I have never to the best of my knowledge made any personal attacks on you in this forum and never would but it is very frustrating to myself and others that you never seem prepared to critisise BA, or at least I have not read any of your posts where you have done so.

I find it hard to believe that you are in full agreement with the decision to charge for seat selection if it means that my dozen or so long haul trips a year in business class, together with those of many other passengers are going to BA’s competitors when without the £60 charge those flights would be with BA.

Apologies to all for the length of this post. It would have been much shorter but for the need to comment on the continuing bad behaviour of some of our fellow posters!!

Hess963
    Participant

You are absolutely right Simon!!

It really does feel that VK and Airpocket and others like them can really use this forum as their platform to show their animosity and blatant comments on other users–it is a shame that Mr. Otley would not dare to censor those users. What a sad perspective !!

Hess963
    Participant

Very well said Jonathan !!

Now the spot is on your comment–and it is definitely true !!

Newcomers are not stupid nor blind to read and understand what is going on between certain users. It is just strenuous to keep with all those infantile and useless comments as often you cannot keep it off so easily as you wish !!

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Hess,

sorry to use the forum to ask you a question but I have no other way to contact you. I was wondering if you have flown yet with CSA?

I gave them a very strong recommendation and I hope that if/when you fly with them, they will live up to what I told you about them?

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Jonathan !!

I have not tried CSA yet. As my itineraries in the near future does not include potential flights with them. Mostly in Germany, Austria and Switzerland at the moment–and in the next months going to the Far East. But there will be certainly a chance to try them.

Thanks for the recommendation !!

Hess

Airpocket
    Participant

Amidst all the scratching and biting generated on this thread (partly by me, I admit) I thought this link would be helpful to those shareholders are considering what they might do with their BA shares:

http://www.easybourse.com/bourse/actualite-financiere/british-airways-fiscal-year-revenue-seen-gbp1-billion-747245

What do you do with the shares of a company facing a half-a-billion pound shortfall? Maybe the dispassionate, qualified financial advisers might be able to share their thoughts?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Another 7.5% rise yesterday to 215p; one of the FTSE’s strongest risers.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=BAY.L&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

A 42p profit per share, or approximately 25% increase, had you purchased when this thread was first started.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, not a bad year during 2009 for BAY.L

Opened at 111p on January 2 and closed at 187p on December 31.

A 68% rise in BA’s share price during 2009, one of the toughest ever for BA in particular and the travel industry in general, makes me a very contented investor!!

On top of the impressive share price increase, the airline has strong liquidity reserves of £2billion (£1.5bn in cash and the rest in agreed loan facilities) at end September 2009 and an additional £2 billion of committed aircraft facilities which will fund the acquisition of the new A380 and 787/777 fleet due from 2012 onwards.

– brand new subfleet of 777s and Embraers in place

– move to T5 and T3 completed at LHR

– new routes to Maldives, Sharm and Las Vegas launched

– innovative LCY-JFK service launched

– cabin crew working practices changed

– nearly 10% reduction in cost base achieved

Well done to Willie Walsh and his team.

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

Jan 07 – share price circa 530p, today 187p. (62% negative addition to shareholder value.)

Strike action avoided only by injunction, still hanging like a sword of Damoclese.

Whilst I don’t wish to see BA go bust (it would reduce competition), to trumpet only the upside reads a little like propoganda to me.

MarcusUK
    Participant

But still losing £1.5million a day, Staff issues un-resolved (Strike pending?), & Pension deficit value worth more than the Company value?

Indeed, quite an achievement, probably unique in the Aviation industry…!
    (Even in the current climate, with the World’s Airlines all taking it tough).

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

Indeed, quite an achievement, probably unique in the Aviation industry…!

I think, to be fair, that BA is not unique in encountering some tubulence.

Wildgoose
    Participant

“Propaganda”? Couldn’t have put it better myself!
    While not quite a “basket case”, BA isn’t a rip-roaring success either.
    I think there is enough on this thread, posted by other BT readers, to suggest that BA’s current share price is no reason to pop the bubbly.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Creeping up to 210p again, continuing a relentless rise since the New Year.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=BAY.L&t=1y

Given a strike and continuing economic uncertainty are priced in, I think the upside continues to look good.

Had you purchased at £1.62 when I started this thread in August 2009, you would be sitting on a profit of almost 50p per share, or a 30% growth.

And, as predicted, it does seem that one of our more windy contributors “has gone away eventually”.

Although it may simply be that his turbulence is now generated by another beast entirely.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls