Do business and first passengers care about wine?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)

• Anonymous

Following the wine tastings for our Cellars in the Sky awards, we’re wondering how important the quality of wine is to premium passengers.

Is it an area airlines can afford to cut back in during tough economic times?

Would the wine offering during a flight affect your opinion of an airline – would you fly with them again if you thought it was bad?

What wines do you favour during a flight?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I once conducted a tasting on board a CE flight – a bottle of Krug (nicely chilled by the ever-helpful cabin crew before take off) vs. the on board fizz (it was Piper-Heidseick at the time).

Out of my seven fellow travellers, only three could tell the difference.

I think it’s more important in F than J to have top quality wines; and not all wines work well at altitude. I’m not certain the wines are tasted in an altitude chamber by many airlines, though I think Swiss might have an altitude chamber.

BA has a Height Cuisine video which is worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzeuVCBzQc

Rather than focussing on the upper end of the scale, it’s more important not to plumb the lower depths in terms of quality; and we have seen a few dreadful choices as a consequence of cutbacks – having said that many people will drink anything and as long as there’s one decent wine on board, most people who know what to look for will make the right choice.

With an ever increasing focus on cost, and on ticket price, I think we passengers have to be realistic about the cost of wine and champagne which we will be served on board; but that’s not to say we should sacrifice quality.

In a recession I’d expect the quality to be maintained, but perhaps to go for lesser known “brands” – the Cattier Clos de Moulin is a case in point (though personally I thought it had a nose of old socks and wouldn’t touch the stuff without a liberal sprinkling of OJ). So less Krug and DP, more Bollinger and Veuve, which can easily to substituted for a decent Jacquart Vintage during a time of cost-pressure.

Having tasted Cattier’s super-bling £250 per (gold) bottle Armand de Brignac last night, I can say the socks aroma seems to be part of the House style.

http://www.armanddebrignac.com/adbcard.html

In my view, what’s important is to have something “interesting” on the list – an English wine for instance, and certainly to feature wines from the destination/departure point (which also helps reduce freight miles, too).

Lufty once gave me a “wine flight” of four sherry tasters, with a special paper place mat on which the four glasses could be placed, with a brief description of what to expect; I enjoyed that and it added to the “entertainment” value.

My biggest gripe is cabin crew who aren’t trained properly to know at the very least a little about wine (they should know claret is red, and that a Sauvignon Blanc is white, for instance, though many don’t). I know they can’t drink the wine, but they should understand what to offer me if I ask for a big, meaty burgundy with my steak, or prefer a dry Riesling with my prawn starter.

My favourites are the pudding wines, which always work well at altitude. Delish.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am alcohol free, so wine has no interest for this traveller

Would far prefer a non aspartame soda with a slice of lime along with the fresh NCW nuts.

My biggest gripe, a lack of healthy options and freshly squeezed (non processed) juices.

NTarrant
    Participant

Wine or any alcohol does not bother me and I am no expert. I like to have a glass of wine with a meal when in J or F and perhaps a Port to finish. As long as I can get a nice cup of tea, that is all that bothers me!

LeTigre
    Participant

On this one, I agree with everything VK said.

I want:

-one decent wine
    -one decent champagne
    -port works well at altitude (in my opinion), let’s have a bit more of that
    -perhaps some liqueurs to go with coffee

If an airline did something better (food!) instead of providing wine, I certainly wouldn’t stop flying with them, but if they cut wine and kept the savings, I would maybe consider it.

Bring on the freshly squeezed juices!

Senator
    Participant

I’ll paraphrase the late Right Hon Sir Winston Churchill:
    “The only time I said no to a glass of Champagne, was when I misunderstood the question!”

Or perhaps, Madame Bollinger’s famous quote sums it up:
    “I drink champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty”

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I really couldn’t give a monkey’s.

I buy the schedule and seat, long haul and the schedule, short haul.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I rarely drink on board but enjoy reading the wine lists. I will have a glass of port with cheese and Swiss excel on both in F.

Like Martyn I wish the juices were fresh but I guess that’s hard to do on a flight. However freshly cut lemon or lime should not be a problem instead of pre-cut lemon that’s a few days old.

I agree with Nigel about a good cup of tea, especially helpful and conducive to a good nights sleep in my opinion!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry BT, I did not answer your question. Apart from the port, and I could live without it, the wine offering would make no difference to me and I’d still fly F no matter which wine was served.

RoadKing
    Participant

I enjoy wine and fine spirits while on board. But I am not really a wine expert. So I guess I would not care so much for the wine. Except if it should disappear :-).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LP – if airlines can put expresso machines into galleys, I am sure there would be a solution for freshly squeezed non processed juices.

Is HonestCrew available for an answer/comment?

alexlondon
    Participant

I agree with much of what VK has said and understand the limitations. I DO enjoy the wines. Flying is one of the few occasions in life when I do not work – I like to relax, read a book, watch a movie and enjoy the food. On European services, the wine selection is, generally, terrible now. A small improvement is needed and a liquer or cognac needs to be offered with coffee – which it usually is on Swiss. I really miss port with the cheese with Club Europe stopped stocking port a couple of years ago. I am generally satisfied with Club and find first excellent but it would be nice to have it served at the right temperature!

esselle
    Participant

I agree with most of what has been said above, but how can BA really justify serving only one champagne in the Concorde Room, especially when it is a straight Taittinger NV?

Where did the Pol Cuvee SWC go?

A small bottle on short haul would never be referred to as a claret, Bordeaux being far more appropriate, but at least serve the white equivalent chilled rather than suggesting the addition of a few ice cubes.

RichHI1
    Participant

Well it had to happen, I agree with VK.

Wines of good quality are good idea, going for the very best is probably a waste in flight.

I would spend the money on better catering before putting Vinatge Krug on a flight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls