Discarded flight socks, and other behaviour..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I was chatting about this on another forum and thought I might bring it here for your attention.

A few weeks ago I flew back from Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific.

I was upgraded at the gate from Premium Economy (it was just before the typhoon, all flights full etc…

I sat opposite a young lady who, at the end of the flight, did this with her flight socks for the staff to pick-up… (which they did)…

It’s not (by far) the most thoughtless behaviour I’ve seen on a flight, but it did make me cringe…

Socks-CX

openfly
    Participant

That’s life!

capetonianm
    Participant

Considering some of the disgusting things I’ve seen, not just on flights but generally, I am surprised that this is considered noteworthy.

I suppose inevitably this thread will turn into ‘the most disgusting thing I saw’. Mine has to be the sight of a middle aged man sitting on a bench picking his feet and toe nails in full view of everyone.

A very wise friend of mine says that the greatest measurement of one’s wealth is the distance between yourself and the nearest person that you don’t wish to be close to. I find that very true in many walks of life.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s not newsworthy, more like, chat-worthy.

And you’re right, it’s not the worst I’ve seen either. That would be

a) A man who took his socks off and draped them over the arm of his seat to dry off / get some air.

b) a passenger who expectorated on the floor of the aircraft right where my feet had been until a split second before.

stevescoots
    Participant

|I was on a flight from DAD to SGN at the weekend, guy nest to me slipped off his LV loafers/slippers or whatever the ugly things were, then proceeded to wash his feet with the wet wipes, put said wipes in the seat back pocket and then tear off a corner of the in flight mag to scrape out under his toe nails….well i was in economy after all..i just took it as expected but passenger next to me was going nuts!

SimonS1
    Participant

Not sure what the message is here but loads of debris is discarded at the end of any long haul flight.

A bit thoughtless to leave them in the aisle but they would need to be collected and removed wherever they were placed.

canucklad
    Participant

My rather eccentric friend doesn’t seem to have any filters either, especially when it comes to travel.

Imagine a child sired by Danny de-Vito and a Vietnamese potbellied pig and you’ll have an accurate image of him in your mind.
    Flying back to Prestwick on a Wardair 747 , my pal managed to get the stand alone seat right at the nose with just the bulk head ahead of him. Even before take-off the quite significant gap between him and the bulkhead, rapidly filled with his shoes, socks and trousers. Added to this the last part visible parts of the carpet disappeared as he spread out the contents of the Toronto Globe and Mail (think Sunday Times)
    Needless to say, me and my other pals distanced ourselves from him, as the bemused flight attendants gently rebuked him, as you would a teenager for making a mess of their 5 minutes before spotless aircraft.

And like others on here I’ll avoid going down the disgusting bodily functions I’ve been repulsed by.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=895837]Not sure what the message is here but loads of debris is discarded at the end of any long haul flight.

A bit thoughtless to leave them in the aisle but they would need to be collected and removed wherever they were placed.[/quote]

I imagine that’s exactly what she thought as she removed them from her feet, held out an outstretched arm, and dropped them in the middle of the aisle.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT MY POST, BUT SOMETHING STRANGE JUST HAPPENED TO THE SOFTWARE AND I FEAR IT WILL BE LOST…-please post if it was you – i found it floating around in the ether of the back office…

It is disappointing that there seems to be , not just in this thread, but life in general that poor standards are acceptable.

Some of the examples quoted are downright unacceptable.

I wonder how many of us having invited someone into our house, they proceeded to behave badly. Would we nonchalantly ignore it? I doubt it.

I have been fortunate to have suffered few instances described earlier in my 35+ years of travelling, but when I have, I have politely challenged the miscreant , and whilst an apology was not always forthcoming the bad behaviour stopped.

Interestingly we berate airlines/crews/ ground crews etc for poor customer service so why do we think passengers have a free rein.

As Edmund Burke said “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”.

Some behaviour is disrespecting the cabin crew and that is unacceptable

8 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Some behaviour is disrespecting the cabin crew and that is unacceptable

Watch out or they may respond with the attack of the killer trolley.

By the way, Tom, you are making a judgment based on European cultural values; whilst I agree with your view, may I ask what nationality the young female appeared to be?

I see things in the Middle East that rub me up the wrong way, but which are part and parcel of normal life there, in this case, it may be cultural dissonance – or not.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

She was Australian.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

I will never get that image out of my head now 🙁

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Tom , the original post floating in the office was from me

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=895952]She was Australian.[/quote]

Oh well, that explains it!

Descended from the finest crims the UK exported !!!!!

capetonianm
    Participant

Chucking the socks on the floor reminds me of the disgusting thing I saw when we were having dinner at the Spice Route in the Imperial Hotel in Delhi. A group of ostentatiously wealthy Indians were having dinner at an adjacent table, and when the waiter, who was dignified, polite and gentlemanly took them their bill, the ‘chief’ took his wallet out of his pocket and flung a wad of notes onto the floor. I thought he’d done it accidentally before being told by the (Indian) people with whom we were dining that this is apparently normal, it’s a way for wealthy Indians to show their contempt for ‘working’ people of ‘lower class’.

Much as I love India and her people, this type of behaviour is sickening, and I say so as someone who considers myself to be elitist, I find such attitudes utterly repellent. Sadly, they are quite prevalent in Indian society.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls