Discarded flight socks, and other behaviour..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I sat next to a Gentleman on a USA internal flight who proudly had painted his toenails in the stars and stripes.

Quite bizarre

handbag
    Participant

Tom Otley
    Have to say as Crew, this would be regarded as normal behaviour on a flight. It is not until someone mentions it as being wrong, that I realised how used you get to seeing sights like this, that you end up not even noticing them. The worst for me is when parents allow their children to eat food or use crayons and plaster it all over the floor and seats. Not something we always notice and then if the cleaners have rushed through, so poor soul ends up with a dirty seat or biscuits and chocolate all in the carpet.

If you ever walk slowly from the back of the aircraft at the end of a flight, you will not believe how appalling it looks.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I remember being told by a fight attendant they were halfway through the food service and a mother handed them a used nappy they had just changed.

The mother seemed very upset when the flight attendant said they couldn’t take it since they were handling food just at that moment,

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=896248]Tom Otley[/quote]

Again, being handed dirty nappies is not unusual (although not an every day thing), your pic of socks above was is every day occurrence . The pax that ask us to handle nappies are usually quite indignant when we ask them to dispose of in the toilet bin and won’t let them put in the galley bin. Even when we explain that as a food handler, we shouldn’t handle dirty nappies and that the Galley (Kitchen) is not the place for dirty nappies, they never seem to understand or accept. The ones that actually shock me more, are the ones that go on a long haul flight and don’t bring food, warm clothing or nappies for babies. We carry a small stock of baby food, but I really wouldn’t want to rely on it being there. No nappies with them , words fail me. Arriving into London with a tiny baby from a hot country with nothing to keep them warm so needing an aircraft blanket.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=896246]If you ever walk slowly from the back of the aircraft at the end of a flight, you will not believe how appalling it looks[/quote]

What I’ve noticed, as someone who tends to travel long haul in “Y” and who often, depending on who’s flying with me, opts to choose to sit at the tapering back seats , resulting in the long walk forward.
    So I do notice the state of the aircraft, and actually just how much more messy the premium cabins are, compared to the Y.
    I suppose it’s a logical consequence , considering the extra pampering and space those individuals enjoy, and ultimately that can be exploited into a slovenly tip.
    almost as if….I pay the money, so I’ve the right to forego respect to my environment.

Thanks Martyn for the painted toes , utterly bizarre and made me laugh …GO USA-GO : )

alainboy56
    Participant

@canucklad – fully agree – I also, when traveling in Y, prefer to take the very back seats. as you say it tapers and becomes 2 only and with a little more elbow space. I did so earlier this week on BA LHR-AUH in seat 56L (an Air Belgium A343). Yes I have noticed that the mess/remains in Premium classes is definitely more than in Y, but it maybe that as the area/zone around each seat is visually more spacious, perhaps one may notice it more than in the less visible confined space of a Y seat. However, this matter generally depends upon ones upbringing, I try not leave any mess at all in Y, PE or Premium cabins, whichever class I am traveling.

@FDOS_UK
    – Agree also on that point – her great great grandfather had a ball and chain around his ankle. This has given Aussies a well balanced character ever since — They tend to have a ‘chip’ on both shoulders!

@captonianm – You really do have a very ‘wise’ friend.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

As many people who post here refer to travellers who fervently believe that “something is their right”, they the travellers always forget the other half of the equation namely responsibilities.

I wonder how many premium passengers get out of bed in the morning and then dump the bed clothes on the floor and/ or empty a waste bin on the floor. A mere handful I guess.

esselle
    Participant

And I suppose, picking up on CathayLoyalist2’s point, how people leave their hotel rooms might be another indicator.

I always straighten out the bed, leave towels in the bath, and put stuff in the bin. I imagine the folk who clean/make up rooms have enough nightmares to contend with, but guess that a significant majority will leave them looking as though a whirlwind has been through, leaving TVs blaring and lights full on.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=896900]As many people who post here refer to travellers who fervently believe that “something is their right”, they the travellers always forget the other half of the equation namely responsibilities.

I wonder how many premium passengers get out of bed in the morning and then dump the bed clothes on the floor and/ or empty a waste bin on the floor. A mere handful I guess.[/quote]

I do that all the time, but then my wife reminds me that it’s the one day of the week I’m at home and I better come back and tidy up.

Reminds me of a piece we published a few years ago about how strange it is being at home after a long time away

Frequent Traveller: Home sweet home

1 user thanked author for this post.

jsn55
    Participant

While this behavior is not a candidate for the most disgusting … it is a very clear indication of a lower class individual. Quite pathetic. Reminds me why I don’t fly in coach, ever.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=896909]And I suppose, picking up on CathayLoyalist2’s point, how people leave their hotel rooms might be another indicator. I always straighten out the bed, leave towels in the bath, and put stuff in the bin. I imagine the folk who clean/make up rooms have enough nightmares to contend with, but guess that a significant majority will leave them looking as though a whirlwind has been through, leaving TVs blaring and lights full on.[/quote]

Me too, Esselle, me too – I always leave a hotel room as tidy as I can. Why? I am sorry for cleaning staff and their hard jobs and time pressure, I’d feel ashamed to leave any room a mess no matter where and when, and it is my mess after all – I have some responsibility for it.

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=899039]

And I suppose, picking up on CathayLoyalist2’s point, how people leave their hotel rooms might be another indicator. I always straighten out the bed, leave towels in the bath, and put stuff in the bin. I imagine the folk who clean/make up rooms have enough nightmares to contend with, but guess that a significant majority will leave them looking as though a whirlwind has been through, leaving TVs blaring and lights full on.

Me too, Esselle, me too – I always leave a hotel room as tidy as I can. Why? I am sorry for cleaning staff and their hard jobs and time pressure, I’d feel ashamed to leave any room a mess no matter where and when, and it is my mess after all – I have some responsibility for it.[/quote]

I also leave rooms tidy, it also helps with making sure you have not left anything behind!

capetonianm
    Participant

I also make sure that I leave a room clean and reasonably tidy. I make sure that any litter is in the bin, cushions and so on returned to their correct places, used cups and glasses on the tray, and I leave the bathroom and toilet as clean as I would my own at home.

I remember once going into a female ex-colleague’s room when we checked out (to help her with her luggage!) and I was utterly disgusted with the way she’d left her room, and I lost the little professional respect I’d had for her before this happened. This was in a 5 star hotel, not some back-packers’ dosshouse.

Stevescoots makes a very valid point too, it does help in ensuring nothing is left behind.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

While this behavior is not a candidate for the most disgusting … it is a very clear indication of a lower class individual. Quite pathetic. Reminds me why I don’t fly in coach, ever.

Wow.

Some of the worst behaviour I’ve witnessed has been in premium cabins, when I travel economy, the peeps are normally polite and respectful.

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=898974]While this behavior is not a candidate for the most disgusting … it is a very clear indication of a lower class individual. Quite pathetic. Reminds me why I don’t fly in coach, ever.[/quote]

I can assure you that on Long haul aircraft, the behaviour does to vary from cabin to cabin. Disgusting behaviour is witnessed equally in all cabins.

From my personal experience, I would say that I have found bad manners to be worst in Business. Much more so than either economy or First. When given a preference, I would always prefer to work in this order, Economy, First, Businesss. I would like to add that there are lovely people in all cabins and I dont want anyone to think that I didn’t like my passengers. The problem is if you are in First and you get one obnoxious person, you have to spend a great deal of time massaging an ego and this can take a great deal of the flight. I have found the percentage of pax in Business per head to be much higher and generally in Economy much less. I do realise that it is sometimes down to expectations not being met, the majority of times, it is just bad manners.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls