Discarded flight socks, and other behaviour..

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

• handbag
    Participant

Sorry meant to say disgusting behaviour doesn’t vary (not does).

transtraxman
    Participant

So what we glean from these last posts is that many of those in First and Business class are egocentrics who are only concerned with themselves. It escapes me that many privileged travellers will complain that their personal egos have not been pampered enough. On the other hand they cannot see that any basic tidiness and concern to keep their seating clean is their problem.
    Basic help in keeping a position tidy and even clean can mean less work for the crew. Cleaner means less work, which means less time, which means less cost which in the end means lower fares. It is for such reasons that I do not pay much attention to the complainers for many trifles. Of course if somebody else is paying your fare you do not take into consideration such measures.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=899098]So what we glean from these last posts is that many of those in First and Business class are egocentrics who are only concerned with themselves[/quote]

Not unless you apply a lot of confirmation bias.

handbag
    Participant

“Basic help in keeping a position tidy and even clean can mean less work for the crew. Cleaner means less work, which means less time, which means less cost which in the end means lower fares.”

On long haul BA aircraft, Cabin Crew do not have to clean the cabins at the end of a flight. Fortunately, a cleaning crew arrive as soon as the aircraft lands, so I never had to do this. Not a pleasant task. What the Crew on long haul do, is as they walk through the aircraft at the end of the flight to do their safety checks and make sure nothing is left on board, they look for any areas that will need a more thorough cleaning – , sick, wet seat, childs food on seat and carpet etc. This is then report in the tech log, as carpet deep clean or seat cover change etc.

Crew are responsible for monitoring the toilets and ensuring they are kept tidy and stocked throughout the flight.

I do know that this is differs with other airlines and also sometimes between long and short haul. .

MarcusGB
    Participant

Common in the Asia Pacific regions, people walking around bare footed on flights is gross, and extremely unhygienic. I see people doing this who have been upgraded into Business Cabins. They appear they don’t really know how to conduct themselves, and often placing the (at times clearly dirty and infected skin conditions), onto seats in front. the transference of infection, and picking up of the same spreading around the Aircraft is high, and frankly shocking.

I am not taking a snob’s view on this. Just stating Medical fact, so perhaps the Airlines could ask people to cease doing this, for Health, transmission of infections, and Aircraft hygiene reasons?

canucklad
    Participant

Frankly, What really gets my goat …..are those inconsiderate so and so’s who seem to think it’s ok to discard unwanted personal items at their feet , litter louting at its worst!!
    Just the other day there, some clod left a fully expanded bumbershoot at the aircraft door !!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=901639]Just the other day there, some clod left a fully expanded bumbershoot at the aircraft door !![/quote]

Hail to the chief? Thus the bumbershoot, to protect his golden locks?

handbag
    Participant

MarcusGB

I can assure you on BA, that the unhygienic behaviour you mention, has nothing to do with if someone is upgraded or not. The behaviour mentioned is relevant to all cabins and I really don’t feel it is a bout being upgraded and not knowing how to conduct oneself. I would unfortunately expect to see in all cabins regardless of if someone was upgraded or not. Bad manners happens in all walks of life.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

An excellent piece by Adrian Wooldridge in The Economist 1843 magazine, about the demise of manners in recent years.

Worth reading whole (I don’t think a sub is required for this one)…

RELUCTANT GLOBAL CITIZEN
    The de-civilising process
    Adrian Wooldridge laments the collapse of manners

…Overnight flights are worse. I’ve never witnessed anybody urinating on the back of an airline seat, as apparently happened on a Frontier Airlines plane this May. But I’ve watched a man next to me floss his teeth and then carefully place the thread on the tray table, another do a vigorous push-up routine in the corridor, and a modern-day Henry VIII discard his chicken bones on the floor.

1 user thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=913545]An excellent piece by Adrian Wooldridge in The Economist 1843 magazine, about the demise of manners in recent years.

Worth reading whole (I don’t think a sub is required for this one)…

RELUCTANT GLOBAL CITIZEN

The de-civilising process Adrian Wooldridge laments the collapse of manners
    [/quote]

Thanks for the article, I enjoyed it. And there are links to two other good articles by Adrian Wooldridge, “Hotels from Hell” and “The Sins of Business Travel”, when you open the link.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am reminded of a woman who had very long hair who sat in front of me on a flight. She kept putting her hair over the back of her seat so that it dangled in front of me, which I found particularly offputting (I am sure it was clean but even so) when I had my meal tray open.

I asked her twice politely not to do it, and when she did it the third time I slowly and carefully closed my tray, trapping her hair. Then all I had to do was wait!

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls