Delayed flight – compensation?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 108 total)

• FormerlyDoS
    Participant

” Be_Nice – 23/01/2013 15:46 GMT

Read your own post at 14.51 point 4…..

Now lets wait for deletes.”

Here is my point #4

“Point 4 – you have a view on a compensation grabbing culture, but you still live in the UK; I put my money where my mouth is WRT dissatisfaction with UK culture/governance etc and moved 2,000km away, so with all due respect, put up or shut up”

Two factors stated, no deletes required.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Pap 53 …Slightly off topic…However

sometimes even your best friends might not wish to admit their circumstances….

from Mr Cs Gov….. DWP….ref WFP

Winter Fuel Payment

Part 4: How to claim

You need to claim if you’re not getting a social security benefit (or if you only get Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Child Benefit).

ie ……You MUST apply and Fill in the bumpt
    ….same as Freedom Cards

also as said earlier…

Benefits worth billions of pounds – ranging from pension credit to jobseeker’s allowance – go unclaimed each year, figures show.

Up to £2.8bn in pension credit, used to top-up pensioners’ weekly income, was not taken up, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP\)said

Up to 620,000 people failing to claim up to £2bn in income support, and employment and support allowance

Up to 1.6 million people failing to claim up to £2.8bn in pension credit

Up to 1.1 million people not claiming up to £3.1bn in housing benefit

Up to 3.2 million people missing out on up to £2.4bn in council tax benefit

Up to 610,000 people failing to claim up to £1.95bn in jobseeker’s allowance

and the elderly.

“There are still 1.8 million people in later life living in poverty and claiming etc………

So…Hey …I recon that’s about..wot…over 15 Billion quid..?…
    enough if the will is there to build the new UK International Estuary Airport and save the country we could give thanks to our Poorest pensioners for providing the funding…Battle of Britain lads and lassies,,,the real Business Travellers…

don’t forget…one day

OK slightly off….but

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Great post, Terry.

Papillion53
    Participant

TMcM24
    Yes I did read the website as I said earlier, out of curiosity more than anything else, especially after reading your comments as I always like to know what’s what! I am only telling you of my experiences and no, one does not always know of one’s friends or business acquaintances circumstances but this was told to us, by well-educated business people who are also well-respected in their field, so unless these people are also downright liars then, I believe them.

As I also said earlier I am no tax expert, nor benefits expert!

Now for the record my DH has not applied for his bus pass, althought he IS entitled to do so!

I really feel today that voicing any sort of opinion on here is frutile and for that I am sad. 🙁

Be_Nice@15:20. Thank you! :-)))

Be_Nice
    Participant

Papillon @17.42pm

I take time to read your postings as they always feel full of a real life and world, and for that I thank you.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Papillion53 I too thought that the winter fuel payment was sent directly to those receiving a state pension and being the right age, without the need for additional forms. I am not sure who completed my late fathers forms ! Please don’t let people’s comments upset you, some just can’t see anyone’s point of view apart from their own and remember that is their fault not yours.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Papillion53 I too thought that the winter fuel payment was sent directly to those receiving a state pension and being the right age, without the need for additional forms. I am not sure who completed my late fathers forms ! Please don’t let people’s comments upset you, some just can’t see anyone’s point of view apart from their own and remember that is their fault not yours.

NTarrant
    Participant

Papillion – I think FDoS has been quite disrespectful in his comment to you, you are entitled to your view which I quite agree with. Whatever the law says does not make it morally right or reasonable.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

NTarrant and Papillion

Edited to add that I find it offensive that the OP has been attacked and told ‘to get a grip’ for expecting to receive a statutory compensation.

You and other posters are entitled to your opinions, but it goes well beyond bounds of reasonableness, IMHO, for the OP to receive some of the comments he did. If you don’t like the law, then by all means campaign to have it changed.

Article 7 of EU261/2004 says

“Article 7

Right to compensation

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall
    receive compensation amounting to:

(a) EUR 250 for all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less;

(b) EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than
    1 500 kilometres, and for all other flights between 1 500
    and 3 500 kilometres;

(c) EUR 600 for all flights not falling under (a) or (b).”

The inconvenient truth for you and papilion53, is that the regulation uses the phrase “shall receive”, which a lawyer will tell you mandates the payment of the compensation and the OP should not be in a position where he needs to seek the compensation, the payment should be initiated by the airline, following the pax being advised of their rights (which he says did not happen), unless the airline can prove the delay was due to extra-ordinary circumstances beyond their control. (And the burden of proof is on the airline and requires it to demonstrate that the delay could not have been avoided even if all reasonable efforts had been applied to avoid it.)

Reading the OPs comments, it appears that BA has not informed him the delay was beyond their control and I would hypothesise that his payment is in a very large backlog of claims that BA is now processing following the recent dismissal of the UK stay on these payments, following the Sturgeon case.

For the OP to receive this response, when asking for help, is truly disrespectful

“papillion53 – 22/01/2013 12:32 GMT

My goodness this is a classic example of what I call the “I’m due compensation” society, despite the fact you got to your destination safely, albeit a bit late, AND despite the fact your original ticket on BA was not to this destination AND you’ve already been offered miles – I think you need to get a grip on this.

As HK Lady said, most of us would have been happy and relieved to have got there, so quit while you’re ahead, but I guess there are some who are never happy.

Classic example of the “how much compensation can I get” culture that we so sadly see so much of these days! :-(“

This response is based purely on prejudice and not on facts.

travent
    Participant

Just tell them that you dont have any compain 😀 thus they wont give you any compensation. In the other hand, if you’re looking for ,airlines tickets promo, dont forget to check our flight to Indonesia. Beautiful country, many amazing places. Cheers.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Laws like these…With THANKS to the EU…are usually made for the benefit and welfare of its Citizens ….so one should use them.

In the UK recently the “Sunshine Boys” in No 10 recently dropped the Top rate of Income Tax from 50% to 45….but only a few individuals will get the chance to take this sort of Social Security handout…

On principal being mostly respectable chaps of course etc.. will no doubt refuse to take it not wishing to lower themselves to the levels of….???…….

just saw a flying pink……

Its the Law….don’t use……You can Lose it…….

Nice day over here….

Latest.. Schroders
    trader arrested in FSA probe UK watchdog says five people were arrested and four premises searched as part of a new investigation into alleged insider trading….AGAIN…..tut tut …..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Laws like these…With THANKS to the EU…are usually made for the benefit and welfare of its Citizens ….so one should use them. “

I can’t do a ‘thumbs up’ icon, but would like to support Terry’s post.

nathinfor
    Participant

As suggested by some, I thought I would update and conclude this thread.

I eventually received a letter from BA (two month after my request but I guess they might have a big backlog). “Further to a recent EU judgement, you are entitled to a compensation for the delay of your flight etc…” together with a €600 cheque.

🙂

IanFromHKG
    Participant

While doing some filing at home the other day I found the correspondence I had with BA about my daughter’s delayed flight in March last year (for which she received 50 quid in shopping vouchers for a 5-hour delay). I used the same case reference number, wrote back in, and said that as the rules had now been clarified I wanted to resubmit my claim, although in fairness I did suggest deducting the 50 pounds value already received. A day or two later I got back an e-mail confirming she was entitled to 600 euros, and asking for my bank details! So any of you who suffered delays which qualify for compensation – even if they occurred before the rules were clarified – and who didn’t get the full whack, it does seem worthwhile to take ten minutes to lob in a claim

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

nathaninfor

Delighted to hear you received your entitlement.

Same for your daughter, Ian.

If enough people claim, it will make the airlines behave in a way that is more inclusive to all stakeholders and then EU261 will have done its job and will no longer be needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 108 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls