Delayed flight – compensation?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 108 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

HongKongLady@22:45

I think you and I are applying female logic to this situation :-))))

Papillion53
    Participant

TerryMcManus24@05:36

My quote regarding the winter fuel payments was based on several comments made by business acquaintances of ours, aged 60 plus i.e. in the correct age bracket, who did in fact receive this allowance without claiming for it! It may be something to do with the fact that most of these people complete SA tax returns and it may become automatic because of that. I am not a tax expert.

In reading the government guidelines this morning re this, it would also appear that if you are on any sort of benefit, this payment is also automatically made, but yes there may be some people who through pride etc would not want to claim for this if it was not a given. My late mother would without question have been one of them.

Anyway this is way off topic – 🙂

HongKongLady
    Participant

I think you may be right Papillion53. I was delayed by many hours on a journey from London to Newcastle and a very wise man in the First lounge told me to look on it as more time to drink champagne.

Papillion53
    Participant

Very Wise Man indeed HongKongLady! LOL!

HongKongLady
    Participant

🙂

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Papilion

The raison d’etre of EU261/2004 is stated very clearly in the opening paragraphs of the regulation. I have reproduced these at the end of this post, for anyone who is interested.

If you really think that a 12 hour delay is not a serious inconvenience, then all I can say is that you are in a small minority of the travellers whom I know.

As to BA offering a new flight and hotac, you do realise that these are required under the regulation, don’t you? These are not gracious acts.

If anything, the OP could argue that he should have been re-routed on TAM or another carrier, much more quickly than 12 hours later.

The high cost of compensation is deliberately intended to drive behaviour changes by airlines and it is starting to take effect, which is a good thing.

I will hold airlines to the compensation, not because it benefits me (for I would much rather arrive on time), but to support the EU regulation, which is consumer focused and a good thing.

It is not too many years ago (4) that BA refused to provide hotac for me at Heathrow, when they cancelled my flight due to the knock on effects of bad weather and told me that I could go home and return in the morning. (My address was in Malta, but they didn’t give a damn.)

That was on a full fare C class ticket and it was this type of behaviour that addresses.

Whereas:

(1) Action by the Community in the field of air transport
    should aim, among other things, at ensuring a high level
    of protection for passengers. Moreover, full account
    should be taken of the requirements of consumer protection
    in general.

(2) Denied boarding and cancellation or long delay of flights
    cause serious trouble and inconvenience to passengers.

(3) While Council Regulation (EEC) No 295/91 of 4
    February 1991 establishing common rules for a denied
    boarding compensation system in scheduled air transport
    created basic protection for passengers, the
    number of passengers denied boarding against their will
    remains too high, as does that affected by cancellations
    without prior warning and that affected by long delays.

(4) The Community should therefore raise the standards of
    protection set by that Regulation both to strengthen the
    rights of passengers and to ensure that air carriers
    operate under harmonised conditions in a liberalised
    market.

(5) Since the distinction between scheduled and non-scheduled
    air services is weakening, such protection should
    apply to passengers not only on scheduled but also on
    non-scheduled flights, including those forming part of
    package tours.

(6) The protection accorded to passengers departing from
    an airport located in a Member State should be extended
    to those leaving an airport located in a third country for
    one situated in a Member State, when a Community
    carrier operates the flight.

(7) In order to ensure the effective application of this Regulation,
    the obligations that it creates should rest with the
    operating air carrier who performs or intends to
    perform a flight, whether with owned aircraft, under dry
    or wet lease, or on any other basis.

Papillion53
    Participant

FDoS – Thank you for this. I am aware of an airline’s responsibility even if you do not think so!

My point was, and is, regarding this case, was that of asking for FURTHER compensation to what was already offered, and accepted some time ago by the OP.

He now wants to know if he should ask for additional monetary compensation. This has been answered by you and others, and I am sure Nathinfor appreciates this. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

My comments were posted as I wondered WHY he wanted more, when it seemed to ME that the outcome was not unreasonable as it stood. Yes 12 hours is an inconvenience but it is not the end of the world, is it?

I stand by my comments that we are becoming a compensation grabbing culture, regardless of what is legislated for under EU regulations. Some of us don’t agree with this growing culture as we will all pay for it, in some way or another. Nathinfor, this is my general opinion, not personally directed at you :-).

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

papilion

I find your arguments weak and unjustified.

Point 1 – how could BA agree compensation for the delay, when the court action they sponsored had put a stay on such claims? Obviously they could not and the Avios were a commercial gesture of good will without prejudice to compensation.

Point 2 – nathaninfor should not seek additional compensation, he should seek what he is due under EU261/2004, in fact he should not need to do this and BA should be asking him how he wishes to receive payment; I’ll cut them some slack as they have a large backlog of payments to make, now the stay they sought (with others) has expired

Point 3 – you are perfectly entitled to hold your own views on the reasonableness of the outcome, but the law says he is due compensation

Point 4 – you have a view on a compensation grabbing culture, but you still live in the UK; I put my money where my mouth is WRT dissatisfaction with UK culture/governance etc and moved 2,000km away, so with all due respect, put up or shut up

Papillion53
    Participant

FDoS- I am fed up with your rather patronising posts to me. I am entitled to my opinion as you are, I am not a lawyer, nor a tax expert, but I do believe that we do have, not only in the UK, this compensation or ambulance chaser culture. You just have to look at the number of “accident at work” ads on the TV!

Your “put up or shut up” comment – well, what can I say, except it’s anything but respectful … And, well I am much too much of a lady to write here what I really do think of that little snarky comment! You know nothing about me.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Put up or shut up means that if one really feels strongly about something, then stand up for your convictions and do something about it, don’t just moan on internet fora.

I did.

Anyway, I’ve made my point.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Papillion53 @15.08

I wouldn’t take any notice of fdos, yes he is rude and self believes he is someone or something he is not. Perhaps he should keep his comments to any other board purely based he Malta where he moved for whatever reason.

As we know he left the board before and came back, but not a nicer person. BT should perhaps monitor his poor performance and behaviour.

And I doubt if we would want to know about him, but lets wait for his uber manly vitriolic replies.

Marlene

Edit. Not so sure he would be so rude to male counterparts face to face!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Edit. Not so sure he would be so rude to male counterparts face to face!”

Sexist.

I will state my views directly, to either gender, face to face or on the internet.

I don’t make snide attacks implying that people are ambulance chasers for seeking their legal rights under EU261/2004.

Neither do I try and censor others by making comments about where they should post.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Sexist, no but bullying behaviour is often done to others behind a screen. Face to face with an equal or bigger counterpart may not be seen.

Where you post, suggested as you left UK due to dissatisfaction with everything.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Where you post, suggested as you left UK due to dissatisfaction with everything.”

How do you know I was dissatisfied with everything?

I stated only two factors.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Read your own post at 14.51 point 4…..

Now lets wait for deletes.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 108 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls