Coronavirus: claiming for cancelled trips

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=992075][/postquote]

I would expect insurers to be all over the ‘pre-existing’ bit.

I have a trip booked, it’s starting to look a bit dicey so I take out insurance and then expect the insurer to foot the bill. Can’t see that working. Unless perhaps renewing an annual policy.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=992021][/postquote]

Definitely not John Lewis as they pulled out of travel insurance about a year ago….

But I agree it would be a good topic for BT, very value adding for readers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I doubt very much that any flight could have a successful claim for cancellation if the insurance policy was commenced even a week after the tickets had been purchased.

What I find more interesting is that there is a need to discuss this. Surely we should already know…

I agree Simon, a BT article on travel I surance is long overdue…..

PhilipHart
    Participant

@MartynSinclair

I doubt very much that any flight could have a successful claim for cancellation if the insurance policy was commenced even a week after the tickets had been purchased.

What I find more interesting is that there is a need to discuss this. Surely we should already know…

Make up your mind. Either you “doubt very much” – implying that you are not certain of the facts – or “Surely we already know” – which implies that you are certain.

It can’t be both. So which is it?

You might find this helpful

Johnnyg
    Participant

I agree Simon, a BT article on travel insurance is long overdue…

Especially concerning pre and existing medical issues, such as, I have recently been told I am in full remission from the dreaded C, does it have to be stated etc, conflicting reports.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I will immediately start writing!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=992099][/postquote]

I think that Martyn is saying that he doubts very much there could be a successful claim. He also says that we should already know what our insurance covers.

Two separate statements with a common thread.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=992099]Make up your mind. Either you “doubt very much” – implying that you are not certain of the facts – or “Surely we already know” – which implies that you are certain.

It can’t be both. So which is it?[/quote]

My point Philip is travel insurance remains one of the most misunderstood policies because it is generally bought on price without consideration of benefits. I have been looking for a broker to research the policies available and recommend a policy that suits MY specific needs – I have not yet found such a broker.

Whilst clearly you can purchase travel insurance AFTER purchasing a holiday or a ticket, why would you? Inst a case of just trying to beat a peril that was not in play at the time of purchase – like this new virus and subsequent cancellations.

Who on earth would have thought a month ago that the Geneva Motor Show is not cancelled…

capetonianm
    Participant

It is a minefield due to so many grey areas and lack of understanding of terminology.

Unfortunately the pre-existing condition or circumstance is a catch-all to protect the insurers, and whilst clearly it needs to exist to prevent fraud and abuse, it needs to be clearer, but as each circumstance is different, I wonder how this is possible.

I was in UK when my father was ill in his late 80s but I wanted to go back to ZA for a couple of weeks, I took a gamble and bought a ticket as you can’t put your life on hold. A young fit person can drop dead tomorrow from an aneurysm, or an old and sick person can soldier on for months or years. A week before I was due to go I mentioned this to the consultant, a charming Indian gentleman, at the hospital, and he said in my position he wouldn’t go, so I cancelled the ticket. Weeks later, not expecting to get anything back, I wrote to the travel insurance company and contrary to my expectation they paid the claim in full and without quibble.

I also often wonder how insurers define a ‘terminal diagnosis’. We all die of something at some point, so at its most extreme, life has a terminal diagnosis. Some dread diseases may not kill for many years, and others can worsen and kill within days from diagnosis.

capetonianm
    Participant

I also often wonder how insurers define a ‘terminal diagnosis’.

The insurers call it a ‘terminal prognosis’ usually and in the context it has never been clear what the difference. Is anyone able to clear that up?

MarcusGB
    Participant

I read an article on travel insurances from the BBC that fed through to my phone, in terms of Lead articles, and from a travel expert on this cancellation subject.

He statedclearly , that the Insurers or Hotels and Airlines, are only obliged at present, in areas where your Government advice is “Not to travel to … Country or region.
    they also have get out clauses to state that they do not covere Natural disasters, civil unrest, or for outbreaks of health related claims, unless advised by National governments.

So currently, unless there are bookings we have that are not to areas such as S Korea, North Italy, designated areas where the Government advice is “Not travel to “X”, they have no obligation, and we have to rely on the Airine, or Hotel’s discretion.
    That is the legal stance at this time.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A decision on the Olympics will need to be taken soon. If there are to be any changes which affect the travelling public, I wonder how the travel insurance and airlines will deal with potential claims. Hotels in Tokyo, must be bracing themselves….

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=992078][/postquote]

AnthonyDunn, my understanding is that your wife would fall into the “High Risk” categories and therefore it best for her to be very careful I am sure that’s something you dont want to hear, but from the information I am getting the fatalities to date have been from those with lowered immune issues, and that is why in “real terms” the fatality rate is still low compared to those who are contracting the virus

Of course I sincerely hope and pray for your wife’s continued recovery… K

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The link through from the AMEX site to AXA travel insurance doesn’t work – must be the sheer weight of traffic.
    https://secure.axa-travel-insurance.com/

biguli76
    Participant

TAP Air Portugal is the worst ever.
    I live in the yellow zone of North Italy, Lombardy.
    I booked an eco flight to ORD but since yesterday italian citizens are checked at departure and the arrival in US.
    If You have just a cold, You have to quarantine in US.. 14 days.
    Ok, I call costumer service of TAP and an idiot told me I can change my scheduled departure till 30th Apr 20 only.
    No free and full refund, no change destinations options.
    Nothing.
    Please pay attention just in case You book with them. They do not respect basic EU rules.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls