Coronavirus: claiming for cancelled trips

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=996350][/postquote]

Hi Martyn, I am in a similar situation. Ryanair promised me two refunds, a month ago, but are now trying to get me to take a voucher. I shall try the phone call routine as I have another 2 flights next month that I am sure they will cancel.

If the phone call fails I shall try the charge back option.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It appears Ryan will not refund any cash until COVID 19 is over, as per their website. Presume, its ‘Ryaneconomics’ to see how many refunds they do not have to make…

“You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed.
    We highly recommend using the refund voucher as these are readily available and you can book flights on all Ryanair Group airlines in over 200 destinations in Europe and the Middle East.”

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Martyn, Yes, I had seen that, but am still willing to give them the chance to refund before applying for a charge back on Amex.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996350][/postquote]

Fairly routine case with your card provider as a chargeback or S75 of CCA.

My flight was cancelled. I asked for a refund. Ryanair has not delivered. Therefore I am disputing transaction on basis that supplier did not deliver.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BBC’s view on Ryan Air refund policy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52370158

3 users thanked author for this post.

ontherunhome
    Participant

So fed up with BA and difficulty in getting 4 sets of flights refunded, I wrote to their legal dept. on Friday last week. I gave them 28 days to refund or I would take legal action. Today I had this email.

Your response from British Airways

Thank you for contacting us about your bookings. I’m sorry you found the refund process complicated, this functionality has been removed from ba.com at the moment. Refunds for cancelled flights can be requested by calling our contact centres or via Twitter however, I realise it’s difficult to reach us at the moment due to operating with a reduced workforce.

I’ve passed your bookings to our Refunds team so they can be processed. Due to the exceptional circumstances we all find ourselves in, please allow 15-21 days for these to go through.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your understanding at this time. I’ve certainly logged your feedback to help us improve the online refund process on ba.com.

Thank you again for getting in touch, and for bringing this to our attention. If we can help you with anything else, please let me know. We look forward to welcoming you back on board soon.

Whether I get the refund within 15-21 days is another matter.

Stay safe

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Emirates looking to clear their backlog of refunds by August.

500,000 claims outstanding.

https://m.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/combating-coronavirus-emirates-ramps-up-refunds-nearly-500000-requests-pending

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=996512][/postquote]

I am reminded of an early event in my legal career. A very small debtor of a very large conglomerate (a longstanding client of my then firm) had a bill that had just fallen through the cracks once too often. He instructed a small high street firm of solicitors, who served a statutory demand. The interesting thing about a statutory demand is that if it is unchallenged and unpaid (or if an agreement regarding payment has not been reached) within 21 days, the debtor is deemed insolvent and an application can be made for it to be bankrupted (if an individual) or wound up (if a company), and the burden of proof is then on the debtor to prove they are solvent, which is hard to do if they don’t pay the debt. The twist was that on the expiry of the 21-day period the high street solicitor in question wrote to all the major UK banks pointing out that the debtor was deemed insolvent, and they all immediately froze its accounts. This got the small debt that kept falling through the cracks to the immediate attention of the board of directors. They were a good client so we paid the very small bill on their behalf and were reimbursed very promptly after the freezing was lifted!

I have used this approach myself one time with a non-Hong Kong airline who were being difficult and slow about paying a baggage-related claim, and had become completely fed up with their attitude. I served a statutory demand on their Hong Kong office and pointed out that if they didn’t pay within 21 days I was entitled to petition for a winding-up. The number of fawning, apologetic and downright begging phone calls and emails I received was almost as annoying as their initial failure to pay, but pay up they did.

ASK1945
    Participant

UK consumer TV programmes have several times shown items where small claims court judgements against big firms by consumers have been ignored by the firms. This was then followed by bailiffs being employed by the consumers and the bailiffs going into the head office of the firms and attempting to take away the computer(s) at the front desk to settle the now vastly increased debts.

This always resulted in someone coming down to the front desks with a cheque in settlement of the full amount.

capetonianm
    Participant

There was an episode of one such programme (Can’t Pay We’ll Take it Away) which I saw a couple of years where exactly that happened with a claim against a UK LCC, whom I won’t name in case I wrongly malign them.

I find those programmes fascinating, as a rule I don’t watch any type of ‘fly-on-the-wall’ documentary as they are usually bilge, but I enjoy those debt collection programmes, and, as an aside, the ‘Border Control’ type programmes.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

I had 3 bookings that BA cancelled.
    On the 4th attempt after being cut off after a recorded message, a helpful chap answered after around 30 mins wait. He managed to sorted one refund out, a LON-DBV return at £237 + part payment of 21000 Avios. The refund was showing on my Amex card 4 days later. The Avios, however, nearly 2 weeks later are nowhere to be seen. Anyone know how long this is likely to take? As for the other 2 refunds, he advised he could not process these and had to be placed on the refunds queue, one was a GLA-LHR one way. Any idea why this could not simply be processed? The other I guess is a bit more complicated, a CUN-LON-CUN ticket in USD, first sector is flown, and they cancelled the return which I want refunded, OK, maybe this can’t be done in the UK which is why he had to send it somewhere else. Any idea how long these should take before I have to wait in a queue again and chase up?
    I would have just accepted vouchers done online for these, but I already had a voucher for another journey, and it’s incredibly user unfriendly with no mention of the value and having to call to redeem. I did not want any further vouchers due to the complexity of this. The hold times will not be any better when millions of people try and redeem their vouchers in months to come, and I do not want to spend all morning trying to redeem this just for a flight to Glasgow that I could book in minutes on the website.

ontherunhome
    Participant

[postquote quote=996512][/postquote]

Just an update on BA refunds. Two were refunded on April 28th, and the last two refunded on 1st May, so all now refunded. Therefore BA are now redeemed to a degree. Just waiting to see if Silver status renewed in March, will be exteneded, as no chance of making up missed tier points now.
    Lufthansa on the other hand, a dreadful airline that will never get my custom again.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls