City Jet sell-off?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 183 total)

• MarcusUK
    Participant

So routes from LCY going so far are:

Dundee, Edi gone already, Luxemburg…
    Appears that slots will become available at LCY as a result, but who owns these, (AF/KLM/VLM)?

So a significant number of slots and vacant routes are there for the picking, and It would appear Cityjet no longer would have the majority of slots as once they did.

These could be valuable assets, but are BA already picking these up?

Sure we shall hear of more routes going, but I am eager to hear of the plans for KLM and the LCY -AMS routes.

So does the new owner aim to continue to run the airline with this old fleet? How can it possible make them more profitable than the current management, with the same employees and old aircraft, even on secondary or even smaller routes and hubs?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reports in the German aviation media today suggest that CityJet will cease flying between London City and three German destinations with effect from April.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100100/cityjet-poised-to-axe-three-german-routes-from-lcy

No news yet regarding Amsterdam or other popular CityJet destinations.

Ab0dache
    Participant

Hello Alex,

It is interesting to notice the airport list KLM as an airline providing a service to Amsterdam:
    http://www.londoncityairport.com/travelandbooking/airlines
    althought the code is AF when you click to see the timetable.

Is it because the KL code will come back for the summer timetable, even if the flight remains operated by Cityjet?
    It might prove KLM is wiling to keep LCY on its map whatever happens.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Ab0dache

From April, the CityJet LCY-AMS flights carry a WX prefix (WX is the official airline code for CityJet).

It is unclear at present whether or not CityJet will decide to code-share with KLM on this route (in which case the WX code might disappear in favour of a KL flight code) or whether or not it will strike a ticketing arrangement with KLM.

MarcusUK
    Participant

KLM still have a code on the LCY-AMS flights. these can be booked on the KLM website, then you get a KLM flight code. Might I add, unlike Cityjet and AF booking sites, you still earn Miles and flight credits for you Skyteam membership.

Let us hope that KLM have the sense to bring in their own aircraft. the CityJet aircraft are getting decrepit, often unclean to fly on, Floors wityh debris on them, , Windows rarely cleaned with filth on the inside you need to scrap off, and the seat pockets are dirty, at times mouldy, and the seat back tables not clean. Crews are demotivated and the whole experience with them is depressing. These standards are not acceptable anymore to many i know, who are switching to BA on their Embraer’s on this route, or using KLM from other airports.

I have watched this happen progressively over 3 years using the route almost weekly. I would rather fly from LHR now with KLM.

If KLM want to preserve this route in terms of business of loyalty, they need their own aircraft, the CityHopper 190’s on there.

If KLM fail to act, BA will control their main LCY-AMS route, and much business is going their way now already, people are switching. This will mean lost point to point business travellers both British and Dutch, and a fair degree of transfer custom.

I cannot see any Company making a profit with such an ageing fleet, when they have been trying for some years and failed. LCY clearly is going to have many vacant slots, and at the moment, BA are increasing planes and flights from their, so they are picking up the business.

KLM need to get a grip, and say what is to happen.
    I cannot see any Skyteam benefits or membership going with the Cityjet brand, as far and wide as they spread and small airports such as Cardiff, being of any benefit to Skyteam, and the standards and cleanliness currently, do much damage.
    Cityjet Management clearly are not doing their jobs well at all, and many complaints have been made, no action taken.

The current uncertainty, means bookings will not be made with Cityjet.

It would be a great day to see a Nice clean Blue KLM Embraer 190 land at LCY!

I wonder which airline will step in to cover the 18 weekly flights between LUX and LCY?

MarcusUK
    Participant

Probably BA, as much as they took the Monopoly for the EDI route also.
    Any Airline could jump in now and take the routes and slots.
    Appear to be quite a few Airlines come and left at LCY these days!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Well Luxair already plies the route ex-LCY so, unless BA comes along, it will hold a monopoly.

A report today in the Swiss aviation website aerotelegraph.com suggests that the French pilots employed by CityJet may strike over the sale of their company to Intro Aviation.

http://www.aerotelegraph.com/cityjet-intro-aviation-streik-der-piloten

Ab0dache
    Participant

Thanks Alex for your comment about the WX prefix on all Cityjet flights from the next summer timetable. That’s really to show AF is not accountable anymore for this airline.

I didn’t know you could buy a Cityjet LCY-AMS flight with a KL code as you, MarcusUK, have done it so many times. I do agree with you: it is time for the newer CityHopper aircrafts.

But then what role for Cityjet?

I have the feeling all these route cuts are to prepare Cityjet either with a better P&L to be sold later to another owner or with a new chartering service line -aircraft + crew- on behalf of other airlines (such as bmiregional swedish flights on behalf of Flyglinjen).

That would be a very interesting option AMcW – BA LUX to LCY – and one I had not considered.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

More details of City Jet’s future are emerging …

Latest news today in Germany’s Wirtschafts Woche (a business weekly) is that the future owner of CityJet plans to link the carrier with Austrian regional airline Intersky.

The idea is to create a regional carrier with the strength to survive alongside the big boys. Both airlines combined would have a fleet of just over 50 aircraft.

Linking regional points, neglected by the big carriers, is a noble aim. The problem is, as we all know, that few regional airlines make any money and so many have failed.

In Germany alone, Augsburg Airways, Cirrus, Contact Air and OLT have all disappeared over the past couple of years.

But there is good news for LCY fans. It would appear from the piece in Wirtschafts Woche that the new airline will continue at LCY.

We await developments with interest.

http://app.wiwo.de/unternehmen/dienstleister/luftfahrt-woehrl-plant-neue-europaweit-aktive-regionalfluglinie/9283998.html

transtraxman
    Participant

If that is the case why would CityJet drop three German originating points from such an appealing destination as London City? This is especially relevant when the slots available are becoming fewer and fewer.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Here’s another report today from Reuters which develops the piece published in Wirtschafts Woche.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/01/04/uk-airfrance-cityjet-woehrl-idUKBREA0305720140104

MarcusUK
    Participant

When i travel through LCY on friday eves, Luxair always appears to be the service to be cancelled, and at other times more LH and Swiss. BA and Cityjet do seem to get their aircraft away, delayed maybe but they rarely get cancelled.

Leaving on 30th Dec, strong winds for LCY meant diversions, cancellations and delays. Queues of LH LX passengers were lines around the airport hoping to get flights out, but all were booked, unless they got a flight from LHR or LGW. i felt very sorry to see mostly families and leisure passengers not flying out that day for New year, with many of the flights fully booked later, or the next day.

I do think those that use the Lux flights, would really value a better aircraft and much more reliable service.

There is the extra cost of adjusting the Aircraft for LCY for the rapid take off and drops for landings, wind and visibility important here.

This is where the Embraer’s chosen by many of the Airlines, rather than Prop aircraft come in well. They offer a really superior quality of flight on board, nice aircraft.

Whoever does come in and take these shedded routes, vacant slots at LCY, needs more up to date modern Aircraft. CityJet needs a fleet renewal if it is to keep up at LCY, and that seems unlikely?

BA are stationing more aircraft there already…lucky the LCC do not use these types of aircraft of they would be hot in there!

VoyageVoyage
    Participant

I am a bit confused really but maybe someone can enlighten me?

The AF flight from NCL to CDG is operated by Cityjet.
    This flight is only for sale on AF website, not on Cityjet’s.

This flight never connects in LCY.

So what will happen to this flight once Cityjet leaves AF, will Airfrance drop it, will Cityjet keep it?
    Will it disappear?

Actually, I just found this:

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/news/19947-cityjet-to-terminate-air-france-franchise-agreement-from-october

So HOP would take over? And what does wet-lease mean? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls