City Jet sell-off?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

Quite shocking to see such fares and i also and many colleagues have discovered with Cityjet. I would far prefer the Embraers service vy bA, and they also haver reasonable one way fares.

Cityjet are down to 2-3 desks at LCY, when they used to have over half the slots.
    I cannot see them surviving at LCY, when other Airlines snatch their routes, or as FlyBe, re-start them. I see them piling out an failing at lCY entirely, with far better quality, and broad services by other Airlines now. I remain surprised that KLM rely on them to provide an AMS-LCY service, and not within their own jets.

Many have transferred to the others, or returned to KLM ex LHR.

Charles-P
    Participant

Their flights between Antwerp and London City are now simply ridiculous with regard to price and have pushed me (and others I know) onto the Eurostar. What used to be always around €200 is now often close to €400.

Here’s an example from today

Selected round trip price
    Depart: Thursday, November 20, 2014 – 17:55
    Return: Friday, November 21, 2014 – 20:20
    €753.08(For passenger including taxes)

canucklad
    Participant

Their CEO must have got his degree at Ostrich University. A while ago I commented on the fact that if Cityjet couldn’t make the LCY-EDI route work for them they would need to change their business model.
    And as Marcus has pointed out trying to compete directly with BA/KL and others is corporate suicide if your product is outdated and worse your fares scream of desperation. The only chance of attracting passengers would have to be a customer service level that knocks the socks of their rivals.
    And going by the reviews, that definitely isn’t the case. Imo, the only chance CityJet have is to identify routes were they are the monopoly carrier.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Charles-P, I fully agree that is steep, but it is for a flight in three days, at prime business hours, on a 50 seat aircraft. The fares are very attractive if you can book further in advance. As I live part time in Antwerp, these flights are very convenient, but for sure, if the fares were always like those you found, I would rather swim across!

Charles-P
    Participant

‘dutchyankee’ I agree with the points you made however there was a time when the same circumstances would have produced a flight at a considerably lower cost. As I live less than 30 minutes from Antwerp airport and with all the benefits it offers (free parking, late check in, short walk to terminal etc) I am frustrated that I have seen fares climb and climb for what I think we can both agree is a mediocre customer service from CityJet.
    I now prefer the local train to Brussels and the Eurostar to London. Fares are lower, the journey time to central London not much more and the experience certainly much better.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Fully agree with you Charles-P, but like you, I love the convenience of the Deurne Airport, the ease, etc. For sure the srevice, and the rather tired Fokker`s for that kind of money is absolutely a disgrace, but when I can book in advance, and get deals in the euro 200 range or less, the convenience out weighs the rest. When EuroStar starts to Amsterdam, I hope Antwerp will be on the map as well. Fingers crossed!

Charles-P
    Participant

On a related topic have you tried the Thalys service to Paris or Amsterdam from Antwerp ? Aside from the delightful Antwerp station architecture and its excellent nearby underground car park I find the Thalys service really excellent and there is something very joyous about a fast train across Europe (wipes tear from eye).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But aren’t flights to/from Antwerp operated by VLM ?

Last month, Cityjet sold off subsidiary VLM to its management.

VLM will start operating flights under its own colours next year. It has leased a number of Russian Sukhoi Superjets to launch new routes. It will also retain a couple of F-50 turbo-props which, perhaps, will serve LCY (Not sure whether or not the Superjet can operate at LCY).

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/vlm-set-to-become-first-european-superjet-operator-405339/

Charles-P
    Participant

‘AMcWhirter’ – you may well be right however regardless of the ownership the end result has been the same. I was once a regular user of the service (as were members of my family and staff) but because of cost increases and poor customer service we have changed to the Eurostar.

As ever customer choice dictates the success or failure of an enterprise.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Charles-P, yes I love Thalys and use them often to Amsterdam. Comfort 1 is very good, schedule is good, and now with the high speed track in the Netherlands, travel times are a brilliant 1 hour 20 minutes. And again, if you have fixed dates and can book in advance, comfort 1 fares are great value. When I lived in Brussels,nThalys to Paris was a monthly trip as it was so easy for a great get-a-way.

MrMichael
    Participant

Going to Amsterdam next week, Cityjet was over double the price from LCY as Flybe was from SOU my alternative option. That was booking a couple of weeks ago. I fancied a rest from LHR. Sou here I come. Generally SOU flights are more expensive than LHR/LCY, in this instance £120 from SOU return is a bargain.

Ekond222
    Participant

MM – The Flybe price may have been lower due to recent promotions they have been running.
    Furthermore Flybe’s expansion plans and new routes look well thought through.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Looks as though Cityjet will soon be getting StobartAir to operate some of its flights.

A twitter post @cityjet today announces the news.

Charles-P
    Participant

On StobartAir does the pilot have his arm out of the window during flights ?

canucklad
    Participant

I hadn’t realized until I looked at booking an Aer Lingus flights to Shannon that Aer Arran is now owned by Stobart Air.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls