City Jet sell-off?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 183 total)
  • I did not realise CityJet was in dire straits. I have had several perfectly pleasant flights between Luxembourg and LCY, but the F50 is not my favourite aircraft.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This is very much a rumour at present … but I wonder from where Air Berlin could obtain the LCY slots at peak times. From CityJet perhaps ?

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/news/21314-air-berlin-rumoured-to-be-eyeing-london-city-using-modded-a319s

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Looks as though Cityjet (the airline) is transforming itself into a train !

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/rolling-stock/obb-reveals-cityjet-brand-for-new-train-fleet.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=1477092

Joking aside, I wonder what Cityjet will think of OBB’s new train brand ?

In the past, travel firms with similar brand names had to make changes.

Eurocity Express (one of the pioneer carriers from LCY) had to rename itself London City Airways because of a name clash, I believe, with a transport firm in France.

Italian State Railways misleadingly brands its high-speed trains as Eurostar but it can do so because the trademark is owned by Iveco (from whom Italian Railways licence the name) and not by the other Eurostar we know so well.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Well Alex, don’t we wish that Cityjet did have such new stock to carry us with!

Cityjet are now adopting the “Hop” style fare system, no hold baggage, FF miles for the base price of around £99 return. If you want these, you pay £40+ more, which is simply not worth it.
    It is not surely stated if you gain any flight counts (30 flights to renew your FB Gold Card each year), on this basic fare.

With the cabins on the last (each week) flights over 6 months, declining being unclean, food on the floor and in the seats, windows that need to be scratched to get off the grime. Crews are clearly unhappy and unmotivated, no doubt the uncertainty affects them poorly. The planes feel rather old now.
    A few people i know, no longer fly them.

I use KLM from LHR now and all the perks of the Gold Card at T4, with the Skyteam lounge a highlight, and real KLM crew and great service and aircraft.
    Such a difference, sad to say.

Still, much is overdue with this sale, slots, key services, KLM or AF bringing in their own aircraft. For LCY – AMS it is always busy. it should be rather lucrative for an Embraer 190 by KLM, upping capacity to 100 per flight. Unlike the BA services, they are nearly always 90%+ occupied.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest on CityJet …

According to the Irish Times @CiaranHancock1 CityJet lost Euros 10 on every passenger it carried in 2012.

CityJet lost Euros 209 million on carrying 2.1 million passengers. The good news is that it appears parent Air France will continue funding CityJet through to August 2014 while the sale process drags on.

SimonS1
    Participant

Goes to show how price sensitive the industry is if they can’t increase all prices by Eur 10.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Air France still “hoping for a swift Cityjet sale” according to latest media reports:

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/air-france-chief-hoping-for-a-swift-cityjet-sale-29709371.html

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Seems likely that Cityjet will be sold to German firm Intro after all according to today’s media report.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cityjet-to-be-sold-to-intro-as-talks-revived-29779173.html

VoyageVoyage
    Participant

Thanks AMcWhirter.
    Now, does anybody know what will happen to the CityJet operated AF flights, ie to the three daily flights NCL-CDG?
    Will Hop! or Air France or Air France Regional take over?

MarcusUK
    Participant

I am sure the Group have a plan of what to do with their LCY slots and routes also.
    I sincerely hope that KLM City Hopper have the AMS-LCY routing, with their new Emrbraer 190 jets. This route is Very busy, and up to 10 flights a day, and important feeder through for KLM and Skyteam.

But with these statements being used, Skyteam should be outlining the securing of these routes to the public, and if not in detail, some form of re-assurance.
    The number of slots held at LCY are probably the most, balanced with BA, and to allow these to go elsewhere, would be a foolish move.
    For KLM this is an important Business and leisure route, linking the city, and for transit travel onwards with Skyteam.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I wonder for how long Cityjet will continue to operate ex-LCY to Rotterdam and Florence now that BA has announced its intention to serve these routes from March 31, 2014 ?

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-to-launch-new-london-city-routes

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s rumoured that BA has secured a corporate deal with Shell and that is why there is such a large increase in flights between LCY and RTM.

Difficult to see this one route sustaining Cityjet’s existing nine flights a day service once BA arrives at the end of next March.

Shearer
    Participant

Blimey.

And two flights from LHR!

I note the Rotterdam flights are operated by Eastern Airways.

Wonder if they fly in BA colours?

MarcusUK
    Participant

Clearly a move anticipating Cityjet’s demise, or ceasing to exist.

If such plans are being made behind the scenes, there must be others in terms of feeder routes to AMS for KLM?
    Alex, maybe we can ask KLM about this from BT’s point of view, and strategy should Cityjet cease services?

Seems BA, will have a majority of slots and services from LCY if CityJet does not survive one way or another, and AF/KLM hold those slots currently?

Last report was of the imminent sale of CityJet, a few days ago…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

If we knew the answer we would post it here.

The new BA services will not start until the end of March so I am sure KLM would not make any meaningful comment so far ahead. But as LCY-AMS is an important business route both for p-t-p and connecting traffic one would have thought KLM would have a contingency plan should Cityflyer quit this route.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls