Chatting through the safety demonstration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 192 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

“Perhaps a bottle of whisky for the best behaved person!!”
    What if thats a child?…lol :o) xx

MartynSinclair
    Participant

certainly keep them quiet on the long haul!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, I’m pretty sure the safety demo is covered by CAA / FAA etc regulations, and probably needs international agreement to change it.

Dancing girls seem a great idea Becky, but imagine its being performed in First by the senior Swiss or Lufthansa crew ;-(( I definitely would NOT watch!

RichHI1
    Participant

Found this, not sure f it is current as it is 9 years old but gives a clue as to detail.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/2026259a7a7247f986256d7a00508ba7/$FILE/AC121-24C.pdf

PerthWA
    Participant

In response to HonestCrews comment about seatbelts … NO THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME on the A380 they are push button not the lever style and every flyer needs reminding. Even me where the A380 is normal I “forget” .
    As for boorish ding dongs and their phones…. No one is THAT important and if you were, you’d have you’re own plane!

RichHI1
    Participant

If you were , the world would be flying to you….

HonestCrew
    Participant

Ok, maybe I should have highlighted that even if you have never been on an aircraft before, lever or push button, it doesn’t take a genius to work it out.

Also, maybe something in the safety demo along the lines of “Take a moment to look around you and think of how those near to you, or dear to you, will react in various emergency situations.”

This could get people thinking of possible scenarios without sounding like a doom monger!

HonestCrew
    Participant

(good line Rich!)

judynagy
    Participant

“Take a moment to look around you and think of how those near to you, or dear to you, will react in various emergency situations.” EXCELLENT, HCREW!

RichHI1
    Participant

Thought a bit about this…. I know sad, get a life….

Two things come to mind…

1) The Birtish are renowned for their sense of humour. I know these references will be too old for many but the Phrase “Don’t Panic” is familiar from Htichiker’s guide to the galaxy and also Corporal Jones in Dad’s Army. The need not to panic is important in an emergency yet it is not mentioned in any announcement. Panic is the real killer in an emergency evacuation.
    2) We have patronizing videos with stupid teddy bears and no involvement. So my suggestion is reformat the video into questions and answers. Format: Safety is for your benefit message. Emergencies are very rarer but being prepared will make it all right message. Questionaire which has several rotations so not very flight is same. X happens do you a, b or c. Then answer. repeat over all topics. Resume at end of correct answers.
    This way you are involved. You can use IFE to take the input. Enables you to assess knowledge of pax and key areas of focus.
    You can even have a competition. Fastest time for all correct answers gets a free bottle of champagne or aiport limo pick up voucher.

NTarrant
    Participant

The arrogant people that don’t listen to the safety briefing will probably not be moved by asking them to consider others, otherwise they would listen in the first place.

I agree with Rich about teddy bears, it doesn’t really do anything considering its been around for ages. They need refreshing often.

Perhaps HonestCrew can explain why it is mostly said about “remind yourself of your nearest exit” on approach to landing. I have only found it on BA.

HonestCrew
    Participant

Sure.
    The last line of the pre-landing announcement on BA flights is “and finally please remind yourself of your nearest exit.”

This is a subtle attempt to make people think about why they would need to know where their nearest exit is without saying “..in case we crash and you need to get out before you burn to death!!”

Feedback and lessons learned from evacuations at BA and that of airlines which is shared within the industry show that in emergency situations and evacuations many people panic and just head towards the first exit sign they see and not necessarily the nearest one, “which may be located behind you.”

Personal experience backs that up. The behaviour and selfishness I have seen during the evacs I have been involved in would shock you.
    A reflection of society today I suppose.

RichHI1
    Participant

The problem here is the same as modern cars. If you are in swish comfort, toasty warm or delciciously cool, with high def movies or excellent stereo with no bouncing and total noise isolation you forget you are defying th laws of nature and if it goes wrong you are likely to get fried.
    Commercial aviation is very safe and the likelihood of things going wrong is small but it can happen and if you paid attention you will live and if you didn’t trust in your insurance.
    The trouble is you cannot say that and hope to gte people lining up round the block to fly with you.
    I have had four emergencies, only one with emergency evac and I have to say panic is oyur worst enemy. Peopel can injure themselves with no need of help from the equipment if they panic.

Maybe the saefty announcment should start with “Is your will up to date?” 🙂

esselle
    Participant

Years ago on a BA flight, during the pre-push welcome, the captain, referring to the safety briefing, said that, if his family were on board, he would insist that they watch and listen carefully, and he would be grateful if those on this flight would do the same.

Quite compelling.

On a broader note, is there a difference in crew involvement/pax attitude between F, J and Y cabins, given pax type/frequency/scale etc?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“The behaviour and selfishness I have seen during the evacs I have been involved in would shock you. A reflection of society today I suppose.”

I don’t know what you saw, but could there also have been an element of survival instinct?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls