Chatting through the safety demonstration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 192 total)

• judynagy
    Participant

This is a priceless story, Donkey. The word “preposterous” comes to mind. I hope you’ll dine out on this one for years.

Hilaryd
    Participant

To completely change the complexion of this thread – are passengers legally required to listen to the safety demo? I fly twice a week with Ryanair and am therefore fully cognisant with their safety demonstration. This evening I put some headphones on to enable me to sleep – I was therefore obviously not being a nuisance. The flight attendant was fully aware the headphones were not attached to any electronic device however forced me to remove them to listen to the safety demonstration which apparently I am legally required to do.

I put them on again as soon as I could and went to sleep, however, rather bizarrely, they woke me up as we began to descend and told me again to remove them, even though they were again fully aware they were not attached to any electronic device.

Was there a legal rationale behind this behaviour, or was it a Ryanair flight attendant having a bad day and trying to show who’s boss?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One of the reasons for head phones being removed is to ensure you can hear clear instructions in the event of an emergency, especially on take off / landing. So to be asked to remove your unattached headphones is a very reasonable request.

I wonder why though cabin attendants don’t go round with torches to check peoples ears for the foam ear plugs which should also be removed for the same reason.

Whether you are legally obliged or not to listen to the safety demo is largely immaterial. Just because a person is a frequent flyer, it will encourage others not to take note of the safety briefing if a passenger feels there is no need to listen.

Last week, I took 3 BA flights in 1 day and listened to each safety briefing in addition to suffering 5 body / security searches when going through security check points…. when changing and arriving in different terminals and airports.. This is all part of flying in 2013..

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“To completely change the complexion of this thread – are passengers legally required to listen to the safety demo?”

Let me ask you why pilots do a pre-take off briefing, every flight?

The reason is that ‘rehearsal’ (to quote from the psychy body of knowledge) reinforces recall in the event of an emergency, when the arenaline rushes.

I listen to the safety briefing each time I fly. So should you and good on Ryanair for making you do so.

BA4ever
    Participant

I agree!!! Practice makes perfect. Think of how many times we took an exam thinking we knew everything and at the time of the exam we forgot it all.
    No matter how many times you listen to a safety video (or see the crew’s demonstration), when the time comes and stress reaches the top, you’ll be lucky if you remember 10% of it.
    Also, if a person flies as often as twice a week then they should know that during take off and landing we should not wear headphones, earplugs, or anything else that makes our hearing weak.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now us very experienced, wise & extremely important business executives, with “global reach”, have given the politicians answer to the legality of listening to the safety briefing – I am somewhat curious though to the question by HilaryD…

Are passengers legally required to listen to the safety briefing?

This is an interesting question, especially seeing uniformed crew travelling as passengers who seem to think they are above the safety briefing too……

canucklad
    Participant

Totally agree FDoS…….

I can re-call, far too many instances when I’ve flown on a FRightmare flight and the cabin crew have ignored boisterous behaviour making it impossible to hear the safety briefing….

So well done to this crew for being compliant!

And personally, I find people who ignore the cabin crew manner less….
    Especially the FT rustlers!!!!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Are passengers legally required to listen to the safety briefing?”

AFAIK it is a legal requirement for the brief to be given, but the law is mute on whether pax must listen.

Given that the commander is responsible for flight safety and has delegated this to the cabin crew manager, who has delegated to the crew members and the brief is given with doors closed, I would say the crew are acting with lawful authority to require pax to listen.

Just my layman’s opinion.

canucklad
    Participant

Two thoughts on the legal requirement…

1) How do you check passenger understanding…..

2) After the safety briefing, if they ignore instructions that can be deemed to threaten the safety and security of the aircraft….can they be charged accordingly…

i.e… The mad hen party congaing during finals….endangering us all, yet did they have the intellect to consider the consequences of their actions?

Hilaryd
    Participant

Many thanks for your comments, in particular Martynsinclair.

Whether or not parties here feel I should, or shouldn’t, listen to the safety demonstration is not the point in question….whether I am legally obliged to do so, is…..

It goes without saying that if I decide to climb a cliff face without a safety harness there is an increased element of physical danger ….however the choice to wear that harness is mine, and mine alone.

Two things struck me last night (a) am I required to listen if I choose not to and (b) the complete inconsistency of the situation – I don’t think I have ever seen any flight attendant wake a passenger up to force them to listen to the safety demonstration, or when landing the plane. It has certainly never happened to me before and believe me there are plenty of people away with the fairies on my weekly 7am commute……

My own opinion – if there is no legal requirement, the flight attendant was just being pernickety since I doubt very much Mr O’Leary is unduly worried about my own personal health and well being…

Just a thought ….

BA4ever
    Participant

In an emergency situation, if you don’t know what to do, it might endanger other passengers who do know what to do but you get in the middle of them doing it.
    When other people’s safety is involved, you can’t choose to not do as told.
    Also, when common sense is involved, do we really need a law to tell us what to do???

Hilaryd
    Participant

With respect, that wasn’t the question …

CXDiamond
    Participant

No matter how often I fly I still think it most imporatant to listen to the safety information and watch the video or demonstration. I don’t think there is ever room for complacency around take off and landing no matter how often you fly. If you don’t want to be able to safely evacuate yourself then at least be aware so you don’t impede others as you sit in your seat, headphones on reading a magazine with the plane burning around you.

Legal requirements vary from country to country and therefore whether it is a legal requirement probably depends on the registration of the aircraft. I know that German law is particularly strict and I have seen Lufthansa crews stop and demand the attention of people even down to reading out seat numbers of people who are not paying attention.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“My own opinion – if there is no legal requirement, the flight attendant was just being pernickety since I doubt very much Mr O’Leary is unduly worried about my own personal health and well being…”

If you cannot understand that you are legally obliged to follow a lawful instruction from a crew member, you deserve to be offloaded. Whilst the law may be mute as to whether you have to listen, the captain has a legal responsibility to ensure the aircraft is safe for flight.

His/her authority (which is nearly total when the doors are closed) is delegated to the SCCM and then on to the crew.

If the FA tells you to listen, you listen. End of story. S/he is ensuring that the aircraft is safe to go and speaks with the authority of the commander.

canucklad
    Participant

I would second CX Diamonds comment…

As a passenger you can not put at risk the safety of your fellow passengers so I suspect like FDoS point…if the crew instruct you to listen you are obliged to listen..

Whether or not legally you have to listen and understand is another point altogether….

For argument’s sake…Would Blind passengers have to have Braille Safety Cards…or Deaf passengers have to signed the instructions?.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls