Chatting through the safety demonstration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)

• Anonymous

Cantona07
    Participant

Last night I returned from Tel Aviv together with my wife from a customer’s wedding over the weekend, I was sat in WTP (row 22 J&K) in front of me over the isles in row 21 were two German businessmen who decided to talk very loudly during the safety demonstration.

I do find this most disrespectful to the crew (who were probably only 4ft away in the door between Club and WTP, I looked at the stewardess in an attempt to support her, he looked back with a look of embarrassment, clearly not able to do anything.

I politely touched the loudest of the two on the shoulder and asked them to respect the safety announcement, after a while they final stopped chatting and read their papers!

I was then given horrible looks for the flight as if I had a major problem or was some kind of rules sergeant!

I am a Gold card holder with both BA and Emirates taking over 150 business flights per year and have noticed that this kind of behaviour is more common with the crew seeming to have little control over such idle chatter.

During the flight I made contact with the stewardess, she told me openly this is a major problem and she could not stop the safety presentation to ask for silence or the likes, the thanked me for my assistance.

Does anyone have any views on this or other experiences? Was I correct to ask for them to stop talking or would it have been better to remain quiet but very frustrated?

Any views most welcome.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Absolutley sick and very distrespectful, and its usually business men and they also read newspapers or books and fly so much they think they know everything 🙁 xx

PatJordan
    Participant

Quite aside from the total lack of respect shown by those who make noise during safety announcements, there is a safety issue too:

if (even one) passenger cannot hear the details of the announcement due to others making noise, it places that passenger at risk.

I have seen cabin crew asking passengers to stop talking (in a most respectful way, of course) during the announcement. It had the desired effect too!

It’s just like those lounge bores who have to make a racket on their phones…..no, we don’t think you’re all that important, just an ignoramus.

Pat

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Cantona07

In my experience, the only airline who reacts is Ryanair, where I have seen frequent (but not comprehensive) interventions by the SCCM to the effect that this is for your safety, be quiet.

The crew are there for your safety, they should intervene.

Personally, I would not have taken your course of action, but to be clear I don’t criticise you for this.

I hold a PPL and the air law is the same as for the airline industry. If I had fet so strongly, I would have rung the call bell after the briefing, said that I could not hear for these Germans and therefore had not received a briefing.

This is mandatory and the cabin crew would then have to give you a 1-2-1 briefing, which they would not like as it would slow them down. It would get your point across in a way that no-one could criticise as disruptive behaviour.

But I do sympathise with your frustration and in taking action, you at least struck a blow for safety, rather than sitting there and fuming.

openfly
    Participant

An interesting thread. By coincidence I flew BA short haul yesterday and there were so many chatters and paper readers during the safety demo, that at the end of the demo, the purser cam e on the PA and announced that ‘as so many passengers were unaware of the importance of the safety video, she was going to repeat it’..and did, loudly! Just about every body paid attention.

I congratulated her for her courage, as it delayed the take off, but she said that the captain had totally agreed with her actions. Bravo.

esselle
    Participant

I cannot abide the growing number of arrogant (and ignorant) folk frequently encountered on airliners these days who think the rules do not apply to them. Be it phones, belts, safety briefings or generally borish behaviour, they consider themselves so important that doing things as they should be done does not apply.
    In these circumstances, crew should be expected to take a firm line, and they should also have the right to expect passengers to support them.

JordanD
    Participant

Can’t fail to praise the Crew that openfly mentions – I’d take a delay over an unsafe process any day.

There was, late last year, a similar thread on FlyerTalk, which discussed the issue of persons not listening to the safety briefing and then being given a ‘stern’ talking to for not listening (which in that case was justified, as the person not listening was on an exit row); I think the general feeling is that if people don’t listen to the safety briefing, stop, call them out ‘by name’ (i.e. “will the gentleman currently talking, please stop”) wait for them to stop and then carry on.

They won’t make the mistake twice to talk through the briefing.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can understand those pax who fly so often with the same aircraft type that they probably know the safety briefing by heart. However that is no excuse for talking loudly so others who may not be habitual travellers cannot hear the briefing!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I was on LH a few weeks ago, an A320 I think and the crew were doing the safety demo rather than a video. There was the (now) usual amount of talking and ignoring it.

The purser stopped and announced in both German and English that she would be starting again once she had the full attention of everyone on board and that included the man in 5C who was reading a magazine – I was in 1C! She also added that she would not inform the captain that the cabin was secure for take off until the safety demonstration was completed to her satisfaction.

There was silence while the demo was carried out and at the end, I and a number of others applauded her. Service for the rest of the flight was superb.

NTarrant
    Participant

It is complete disrespect for both fellow passengers and cabin crew. Usually its the ones that don’t travel as often that think they know it all. It doesn’t take any time to just stop what you are doing, talking or reading for a few moments. Doesn’t matter if you have heard it all before.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I have flown 4 times since Thursday all on the same aircraft type and have paid full attention to the safety briefings which have been videos.

A lot of passengers do still talk and read during this which I find disrespectful. In the event of an emergency people could have missed out on vital information.

I think more crew should re-do the safety demonstrations once the cabin is quiet, possibly identifying passengers not paying attention, maybe pointing out that it is an offence to ignore crew member instructions and they require full attention for the briefing.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whilst I don’t agree with reading a paper during the safety briefing, as LP says, there are frequent fliers who can hear the message more than once a day.

HOWEVER, talking and loudly is both rude and disrespectful. Whats even worse, is if children are on board as this sets a terrible example and may explain why some kids behave so badly, after all they are only copying the adults.

I also notice people using ear phones during safety briefings – by not hearing the announcement, it coul dput others in trouble as G-d forbid there was a problem, headless and chicken spring to mind.

Unless CC are given the authority to ensure matters of Air Law are carried out correctly, we may as well just bleat on about it. Credit to the CSD’s who have the courage to speak out and well done Ryan Air for doing something right at last!

lloydah
    Participant

And easyjet. Last flight from Nice the stewardess stopped, asked the two loud females behind me in row 4 to “please pay attention to something that could save your lives.” Lots of smiles and “here heres” from the masses.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Kalula safety briefing: “please pay attention to the safety briefing, and that includes all you gents hiding behind your newspapers”!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls