Chatting through the safety demonstration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 192 total)

• StephenP
    Participant

A bit OT, but a couple of months ago I was in an aisle seat in an emergency exit row on an IcelandAir flight. The flight attendant came and spoke to us, telling us we were in an emergency exit row and asking us to read the safety card. I did so but the two ladies next to me did not. I don’t know if it was standard procedure, or if the FA noticed, but a few minutes later the FA reappeared and asked the ladies to show her how they would open the emergency exit if instructed to do so. They of course didn’t know, and after that they read the card. It was all handled expertly and politely by the FA.

I would bet that a good proportion of passengers couldn’t adopt the brace position correctly if asked to do so, or couldn’t tell you how many rows it is to their nearest exit.

Regarding the nearest exit – I often wonder why they don’t have a little sign on the seat back in front of you to the effect of “your nearest exit is X rows in front of you and Y rows behind you” – instead of relying on passengers to count them for themselves (which can be difficult during boarding when it’s behind you).

BigDog.
    Participant

Stephen,

The clip from the 48 minute point on this BBC “Science Program” would indicate that in a “panic” situation we take on a swarm or crowd mentality rendering signage of little benefit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037mln3/Dara_O_Briains_Science_Club_Series_2_Mindbending/

This phenomenon has been evidenced by evacutions which show very few pax opted for the rear exit despite being far closer and fully functioning.

lloydah
    Participant

Just wondering, …. is the brace position the same when you’re in the heringbone VS mode as when you’re facing forwards? Never thought about it before and can’t remember how the safety cards describe it.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

In the UK, the safety announcements almost always mention “take a moment to identify your nearest exit, which may be behind you”.

I believe that statement was added after one of the big crashes in the UK (Kegworth or Manchester?) where people piled up by the forward exit, while the rear remained underused.

Interestingly, after Kegworth, recommendations were made to encourage rear-facing seats, similar to some Club World seats, which are believed to be safer in most impacts:

“Professor Angus Walace of the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham said: “We discovered a lot of those on board had not adopted a brace position for the impact.

“There were many fractures where people’s legs flailed under the seat infront, and of course arm and head injuries as they shot forward.

“I’m pleased to say the CAA and British airlines have now adopted our recommended brace position with you head forward by your knees, your hands over your head, and your feet firmly planted behind your knees so they can’t shoot forward.”

But Prof Wallace would like to see further safety measures – including rear-facing seats in all aircraft, a possibility that has been considered and rejected by different airlines, and not purely, they say, for reasons of cost. “

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/250959.stm

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SergeantMajor – 09/08/2013 11:44 GMT

Those of us who have had the pleasure of flying call-sign Ascot (aka Royal Air Force) in days gone by will recall that everyone was indeed seated facing backwards. For some reason, the rational for which I know not, this changed with the L1011 Tristars.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Were/are there other commercial airliners which have/had rear-facing seats?

I’m certain I once saw some in an aviation museum, but can’t recall which one or the aircraft type.

canucklad
    Participant

I have sat in the rear facing front row seats on Aer Arran ATR’s ..

Very odd feeling being stared at…..

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Czech airlines ATRs also had a rear-facing row. Nice seat to sit and have a sociable chat to other passengers and the flight attendant

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I remember travelling to Paris with my parents and brother on a BEA Trident and being allocated a rear facing seat with a table between – that would be around 1968….

highspeed1
    Participant

Don’t agree with chatting through the safety briefing, but there is a flip side. BA has not materially changed its safety briefing video in at least 10 years. That is so boring for frequent flyers and it is unsurprising that they adopt inappropriate behaviours. If airlines want to keep passengers’ attention they need to stop boring people and keep the message fresh. I travelled with QF on domestic flights in July and noted that the safety briefing was different and much more punchy than the one used in 2010. It now uses employees from across the airline to deliver the message and it is punchy and grips attention. However, they will need to change it again in the next year or two to retain its freshness and interest people. BA could learn a trick or two from their competitors.

kevin46
    Participant

Where is it written that the safety briefing should be ‘entertaining’? As adults, don’t we have a duty to ourselves and fellow passengers to familiarise ourselves with the emergency procedures, regardless of how the information is delivered?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

In light of recent experiences, perhaps airline safety briefings need to be modified to emphasise

BAGS SHOULD BE LEFT ON BOARD in event of an evacuation

CELLPHONE PICTURES/VIDEOS should not be taken on take off or landing as phones are meant to be off anyway

In order to gain attention the safety briefing needs to be fresh and interesting. I may life my head to look and listen – but I agree with highspeed1’s view, the briefing needs to be fresh 2013.

Why is there still a mention of no smoking, surely people know this by now…. (except of course on Egypt Air)….

donkeyasia
    Participant

Last night on DL 283, (21st) TYO-BKK, the safety announcement came on and asked everyone to look at their screen. i opened mine and was immediately called to task by an attendant of my mothers age (i am 67), who quite aggressively slammed it shut. i asked how i could see what was going on and she told me to go back to economy and look at the main screen. I gave up.

As an aside, she was so short she had to ask a passenger to close the overhead locker.

Cloud-9
    Participant

BA used to tell us to find our ‘nearest exit as well as an alternative’. I’ve not heard the latter part of this for many years now (but always look for it!)

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 192 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls