Cathay v Emirates to Australia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

LHR on CX is either the A340 or the 747, I believe neither will be retrofitted with the new C seat although of course plans may change.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Yes, 3 x 747 and 1 A340 daily. The 777 does come to LHR occasionally though, and will do so more frequently as the 747s are retired; the youngest is now over 16 years old.

I would have thought they would put their best equipment on a route like LHR, but as the 747 has a lot more seats then maybe they need the capacity.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I regularly travel on this new Biz seats from HKG to SYD but at the moment there is only one flight per day in each direction using this A330. To me the combination of the nicer new seats and the refined CX cabin service is unbeatable. The most wonderful thing for me is the wider space for the feet enabling freer movements while sleeping whereas many other airline Biz seats have narrower feet space.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I’ve just seen a CX advert on Sky News – ‘fly Cathay Pacific 4 times daily to Hong Kong and beyond”

The new business class seat was shown, and at the end a 777-300 flying through the sky.

The new seats/777 are not scheduled to London and yet they run these adverts. A little misleading.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Foreignescape, use the booking function on the CX website (obviously without going through to payment) and you should be able to see which plane they are using on the route – click on it, and you will be able to get the seating plan which will tell you which type of seat it is. If the configuration is herringbone, it is flat bed. If it isn’t, it is the (awful) regional seat. If it shows “EQV” (equipment varies), though, you would have to call to find out which plane it is

M.Moose
    Participant

Having been to both DXB and HKG – I prefer HKG transit anytime. The sight of “bodies” lying everywhere is not very welcoming.

Flew EK last month from SYD-CHC on Business and prior to that on CX HKG-LAX (old business – i.e. casket seats). You definitely get more privacy on CX; the TV screen on EK is fantastic! But I find the service on CX far more superior to that of EK. I also prefer CX lounges anytime compared to EK ones.

Unless you’re on the EK A380, I would go for CX (even if it means older Business seats).

first_class_please
    Participant

Not much difference in journey lengths, think return via Hong Kong is about 2 hours longer than Emirates.

According to http://www.seatguru.com all the CX 747 have new business class. I really do think this is an excellent seat and would agree with a previous post that it gives BA NF a run for its money.

Out of Perth to Hong Kong is the older herringbone seats, but, they are individual so would pick these over the EK 777 2-3-2 layout.

Hong Kong a much better airport, Dubai is just far too busy and always feels cramped, labourers and domestic staff from the gulf sleeping everywhere on long layovers and a struggle for seating in all the lounges due to the “wave” format of arrivals / departures.

However, if you need to be entertained on such long flights, I don’t think you can beat the Emirates IFE.

Emirates also give you the limos in UK / Oz on departure / arrival, this can save a few hundred pounds.

If you still can’t decide, go with the miles, you will not be disappointed with the CX offering (just avoid the A340 out of London as think still old seat)

rodders
    Participant

I agree with Dutchyankee’s comments, in my view Emirates is a slick advertising machine, with often little substance, and they squeeze an extra row in most of their business class cabins compared to the competition, so having used both carriers, CX gets my vote by a very wide margin, service, food and lounges are all much better, plus the consistently high quality service.

jungerns
    Participant

If I was able to afford business I sure as hell wouldn’t be sleeping but enjoying it.

Cradle seats Herringbone seats fully flat seats-just be grateful you’re not in a 32″ seat for 20 hours ??

Foreignescape
    Participant

Jungerns, fair point, I tend to sleep and never enjoy the full offerings of service. Once again all comments appreciated. I went with Cathay after following the booking process as Ian_from_HKG suggested, no cradle seats on PER_HKG leg.

Surprising the Emirates product got so few thumbs up, my short expereince with them from Auckland to Brisbane was good. Would views change if they were part of One World or Star Alliance (I understand that isnt a possibility….just saying)??

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Foreignescape writes: ” Surprising the Emirates product got so few thumbs up, my short expereince with them from Auckland to Brisbane was good. Would views change if they were part of One World or Star Alliance (I understand that isnt a possibility….just saying)??”

There’s no chance at all that EK will join an alliance any time soon.

The major alliance members fear their Gulf rivals. What the marketing chief of Skyteam told this magazine a year ago sums it all up.

Says Mario Oretti, “Because the Gulf carriers have no market they connect passengers from one region to another. With its order for A380s, Emirates is on a mission to connect the globe. But how can that happen without it being detrimental to the rest of us ?”

LeTigre
    Participant

But Qatar wants to join Star, will this be blocked as well?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

QR started to show interest in joining Star almost 3 years ago … but nothing has happened in the meantime.

Am not sure if QR is still keen to join. Certainly its rapid expansion into Asia, Africa and Australia (albeit just MEL right now but other cities will follow) will not sit well with some of Star’s main members and these are the ones who will have to approve QR’s membership.

highspeed1
    Participant

I’ve used both from LHR to Brisbane in the last year and Cathay wins hands down for me. Many Emirates aircraft used on long-haul do not have fully flat beds in business class and the lounges in Dubai are too busy – so much so that you often have to queue to use the toilets. HKG is a much nicer transit airport – never gives the impression of being as busy as it actually is.

ivornomates
    Participant

One thing you forgot about, what happens when things go wrong, for CX will take care of you, I know many people with terrible experience of problems with Qatar, Emirates and Ethiad. New biz seats to London not due until late 2012. Current ones are fine despite all the comments usually made by one time upgrade freaks on flyertalk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls