Cathay v Emirates to Australia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

• Anonymous

Foreignescape
    Participant

Making the trip to Australia in business. Cathay and Emirates are the 2 options from London into Sydney and out of Perth (timing and price driven). Havent flown Cathay for an extended period and the OW miles are preferred but after a recent flight from Auckland to Brisbane the Emirates product seemed far superior. New Cathay seat not available on longest sectors. Travelling with a companion so side by side less of an issue. Any thoughts?

dutchyankee
    Participant

@Foreignescape, whilst I don’t fly either of them as often as many others on this site do, (so their experiences may be much more valuable to you), what I can say from my experiences is that Cathay for me has always been the more professional and service oriented. I found Emirates to be all song and dance but little substance. Impressive, but the service can be sketchy at the best of times. I also very much prefer the food served on CX. Transitting in Dubai, however, is great!

pinstripes&airmiles
    Participant

I second dutchyankee’s comments. You mention a travelling partner, with this in mind: The Cathay seat is more private and doesn’t allow for a whole lot of interaction with any travelling partner when sat in adjacent seats. I find it great when travelling with colleagues as it means I get my own personal space that they cannot encroach on which I know, doesn’t suit everyone. All that said you should check which product is offered on Cathay’s Sydney and Perth flights as I remember some discussion a few years ago that these featured Cathay’s “Regional” Business Class Cabin, which is a cradle style seat. By contrast the business seating on (most) Emirates flights is side-by-side so allows for much more interaction with your fellow traveller, so you get a feeling of travelling with someone (not just on the same plane as them).

Bullfrog
    Participant

Hong Kong for me is a preferred stop over .. not Dubai.

I’ve always rated Cathay’s service … and their new herringbone business class seat is superb.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Perth to London is a lot longer via HKG, and the new Cathay business seat is not available to Perth as far as I know.

Potakas
    Participant

I will never set my foot again at DXB.

Bucksnet
    Participant

What happened?

Binman62
    Participant

LHR PER via anywhere other than SIN would need to come a great price. I love CX especially First but their old mortuary seats in business class are hideous. Did 2 x 5 hour sectors in August and the flights were great, crew were excellent, food fabulous and IFE system and content superb. The seat was ghastly however and certainly not something I would want to do 12 hours in overnight plus a further 8 to PER.
    What about QF and the A380? I found their SIN PER on the A330 very good and the service and crew were great. The slide in business was a pain but for just over 4 hours very bareable.
    All depends on the fare though and if saving several thousand on the BA/QF stitch up on the JSA runs then CX would be worth the punt.

Binman62
    Participant

LHR PER via anywhere other than SIN sub 20 hours would need to come a great price.

I love CX especially First but their old mortuary seats in business class are hideous. Did 2 x 5 hour sectors in August and the flights were great, crew were excellent, food fabulous and IFE system and content superb. The seat was ghastly however and certainly not something I would want to do 12 hours in overnight plus a further 8 to PER. Once the new one launches on LHR HKG and beyond then it will be a force to be reckoned with.
    What about QF and the A380? I found their SIN PER on the A330 very good and the service and crew were great. The slide in business was a pain but for just over 4 hours very bareable.
    All depends on the fare though and if saving several thousand on the BA/QF stitch up on the JSA runs, then CX would be worth the punt.

Potakas
    Participant

Well, nothing that makes me angry or to write about it. I didn’t experience any rude agents or disruptions.

It was such a miserable experience that I just promised to myself not to go there again (DXB, I am not talking about UAE or Dubai),. The airport was full of people sleeping on the floors (like snow disruption but with not any disruptions) and the lounges were awful with people sleeping in the sofas and everywhere.

Overall, I just didn’t like it. There is nothing to moan about.

To the initial question, I would go with EK in order to experience the A380 but as he collects miles with Cathay I have to suggest him that one.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

The new CX C seat is not available LHR-HKG at present but is available HKG-SYD. It’s excellent, probably better than the new BA F seat.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I would have thought LHR would have been one of the first routes. Anybody know how to find out?

I was just reading that only the A330 and 777-300ER will get the new seat; look out for these planes when you book.

The seat does look at least as good as the new BA first, and I may choose CX for my next Australia trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qeRWO0_0E

Foreignescape
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback, Emirates not gaining a lot of votes…..my concern is ending up with a cradle seat PER-HKG.

Regarding price, Emirates and Cathay a very reasonable 3k, Singapore 4k and QANTAS 5k.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Etihad is having a sale which ends Wednesday; not sure if they fly to PER (but might do so on a codeshare).

Watch out for lengthy connections!!!

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/etihad/uk/en/home/Pages/sales.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls