Cathay "co-operating" with Lufthansa……interesting!

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Cathay Pacific, a heavy member of One-World and Lufthansa a founder of Star Alliance working together suggests that one of them may opt out of their alliance and join the other. Any bets?
    Maybe Cathay has seen the slippery slide of One World and is looking to bale out. One of One Worlds founding airlines is dragging the whole down so maybe Cathay doesn’t like what it sees.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Here’s the news piece referred to above.

Cathay Pacific and Lufthansa Group agree to cooperate

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think Lufthansa will leave *A, it’s one of the founding airlines and one of the most important carriers. I don’t think Cathay will leave OW either though if anyone was to leave an alliance it’s more likely to be them. That said I think SIA would have something to say and may not be too happy.

It’s quite usual to see code shares amongst members of rival alliances and I suspect it’s no more than that. However, I would have thought there would be more cooperation between LH and SIA as more likely partners, so…………..?

TominScotland
    Participant

Similar, in principle, to the American – China Southern codeshare reported on BT today – oneworld and Skyteam,

canucklad
    Participant

Alas it doesn’t mean much to me, here in Scotland.

If I read the article correctly, the point of origin will dictate the code share.
    For example, if I did my research and found a cheap LH flight out of EDI to HKG vi a FRA , I’m not likely to find myself on a Cathay plane between FRA & HKG or vice versa, like I can with some deals.

I.e. book cheap China Southern and fly KLM, or CX rather than QR as I can just now

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

This is about extending coverage.

With the onward/transfer traffic that CX obtains from BA via HKG and that BA obtains from CX at LHR, I wonder whether or why CX would ditch their OW membership. It appears to work pretty well for them and I, for one, have been happy to utilise the BA/CX codeshares onto the latter. By the same token, both BA and AA have taken out codeshares with China Southern (part of Skyteam) and let’s also recall that one OW member (Air Berlin) is now in the hands of Etihad – which is a member of no alliance.

Flightlevel
    Participant

An interesting comment from IAGs W.Walsh a few weeks ago that alliances don’t mean so much now and its more about codeshares and bilaterals. IMO its back to the old pooling agreements the airlines had, and if we get air miles and better choices and the airlines share the fares everyone has better value?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls