Can Airline Food be Tasty?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• Anonymous

simonjames
    Participant

Airline bosses are buying into again to appeal business travellers willing to pay a premium for permits, and nourishment is a large-scale part of that effort.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Someone has already been there and done that:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/blumenthal-tackles-ba-food-for-channel-4-show

http://www.terminalu.com/travel-news/british-airways-mission-impossible-as-chef-heston-blumenthal-prepares-inflight-menu/5192/

http://www.airlinetrends.com/2011/10/10/british-airways-heston-blumenthal-umami/

The truly astonishing revelation from the programme was that, or so it appeared, neither the Gate Gourmet development chefs nor the BA managers responsible for in-flight catering understood the effects of altitude and low humidity upon the body’s sense organs. This programme was an object lesson in thinking outside the box and developing new approaches. I am just unsure whether BA went through with everything that Heston proposed.

Anyone know in BA know whether Heston’s recommendations were taken up?

BigDog.
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn – 07/06/2013 08:44 GMT

I believe some of Heston’s recommendations were implemented, however they were purely on the taste side. More umami dishes for example.
    Other recommendations pertaining to oven quality (steam and more variable control) and prep space, both of which would have improved the dining experience, were more problematic.
    As you say Anthony, rather bemusing that dishes were selected based on a ground level tasting not encumbered by limited prep space nor ancient ovens.

Bucksnet
    Participant

What is needed is a sealed replica of an airline cabin, with galleys etc., that can be pressurised the same as a real airliner. This will then help the development chefs get a true idea of what their food will taste like.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I find airline food Mostly acceptable and sometimes delicious.
    I do agree that it would be sensible to test it at altitude if indeed that has such an impact on out Tate buds. However I also feel that how it looks is almost more important as we have an expectation when seeing slop that it will taste like slop.

VintageKrug
    Participant

BA led the field in this regard, with its excellent Height Cuisine programme:

http://www.britishairwaysnews.com/british-airways-promotes-height-cuisine/762/

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Generally, LX, TG and LH have the best food in my eyes.

But: On a BA flight LHR-BKK I got a really perfect meal, quite memorable:

– Foie Gras D’Oie with Seasalt and chutney of echalotte (I asked for and got a second serving)
    – Asparagus soup
    – Lobster in a coconot cream curry, the best I ever had (also a second serving…)
    – dessert….

My taste buds still jubilate at the memory.
    And, BA served the best GTs.

Ellwood
    Participant

millionsofmiles, was that in F or J? I presume F as that sounds like a really good menu and well done to the crew for not ruining it with over/under blasting in the ovens.

I think the variation in oven performance, especially in older aircraft, can be a killer to well-though flavours.

ScottWilson
    Participant

So much depends on catering offered from various airport suppliers. e.g. I have had decent meals on United in Business from LHR, but never from any US airport. Likewise, Air NZ meals in Business from AKL or LHR are generally excellent quality, but from HKG they have been well below par.

A couple stand out for me. Austrian in Business is exceptionally good. It helps having an on board chef and a relatively large galley area relative to the C Class Cabin. Some items are cooked, others reheated, but the presentation and variety shows a level of care and interest in quality that is not seen in LH (although it almost is with LX).

Air NZ tried to introduce induction ovens on its 777-300ERs to freshly cook steak, fish, beef etc, but it proved to be an expensive mistake. It simply took too long to do a dinner service for 44 passengers by cooking food freshly on board (unless it increased staff levels to uneconomic levels). It quietly removed the ovens after a few months of complaints that dinner was taking 2 hours to get round to deliver everyone their meal, although some elements have remained. It can still deliver eggs benedict very well.

The business decision for airlines has to be how much does food really sway choices of airlines, compared to seats, fares, timetables and overall levels of service? I think unless an airline goes out of its way to promote better food and gets a reputation for it (Austrian has tried to do this), it probably isn’t that cost effective to go too far. Bear in mind Austrian is not a shining success story of profitability.

Still, I applaud those who try, BA being one that has made some efforts to some success in the past year or so. VS by contrast has been relatively disappointing.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ millionsofmiles – 07/06/2013 11:38 GMT

So I take it that you weren’t flying economy then…! 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Of course an airline can……it’s just laziness and lack of pride in their product that leads to crap food……and I’m talking about all classes here !

Without harping back to the good old CP Air days, reputed to be the best food ever!
    Perfectly cooked Fillet Mignon in “y” class, famous for perfecting cooking eggs, and yet many years after the demise of CP we have to put up with grub that a dog would turn up it’s nose at !

I’m going to bore you with BD’s Friday night rotation of the simplest of dishes…Macaroni & Cheese…absolutely delicious…especially after I figured out my own Heston magic and requested the Worcestershire Sauce bottle from the bar…

alexlondon
    Participant

I have a rule (that I try hard not to break) that I will not work on long haul flights. It remains one of the few places that I switch off, catch up on some movies, read a book, enjoy some wine etc… For me, the meal remains a distractor and a key part of the experience. Airline food can be very tasty – I really applaud Austrian, Turkish, Aegean, Cathay and Swiss. I speak as someone who usually travels Business, but upgrades to First when going overnight. BA, although improved recently in Club Europe (in my opinion) remain well below par. Exception is food loaded at BKK which is excellent!

Bullfrog
    Participant

Just before 9/11, we took our first trip to Australia and New Zealand, flying First Class with Air NZ.

A maximum of 12 passengers & food that would beat most restaurants.

We were informed there was 100 % coverage ie 12 lamb, 12 beef, 12 fish. No passenger would be disappointed.

Sadly those days have passed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls