Can Airline Food be Tasty?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• jetplane
    Participant

Slightly off topic: Can anyone advise when the flights to Phuket on code share with Bangkok Airways will be availble to book, please.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Regarding the questions:

-It was an evening flight from LHR, 744 in First.

I was in the lucky position, although working for a medium sized company, that I had a travel budget and managed to ALWAYS fly in First, on long distance. These were multi-top-trips, and I usually worked it out myself, then booked it on the issuing airline and gave the PNR to my travel agent, who issued the ticket.
    Actually, between 1992 and 2002 I didnt have any non-First in longhaul,except once on FRA-JFK.
    Recently, I discovered about 50 unopened First Class amenity bags from that time….different airlines.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ jetplane – 07/06/2013 15:30 GMT

Off topic: now.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Millionsofmiles, that does sound lovely.

Pierre
    Participant

Flights are usually boring. IFE and meals bring some fun.
    The food looks always fantastic on the menu, but PLASTIC food always tastes bad.
    Whatever the airline, whatever the class of service and despite the buzz done by airlines and the chefs.. It does not turn things tasty.
    I eat it as too frequently, this replaces the meals I will not have once landed ( too late, hungry or whatever)
    I like discovering the way things are presented/packed/ served, bottles opened..the funniest are Japanese meals.. But I would not say that it tastes good.
    Canteen food nicely packed. Nothing more.

marcfreund636
    Participant

Thanks Communipaw! for sharing nice article… All post gave me such a ideas so Thanks to everyone!

A_delyn
    Participant

I wouldn’t exactly call it delicious. Overall, it’s okay and on rare occasions I think it’s really good.

CarlaDevis
    Participant

I must say that airline food is great. I had enjoyed some vegetarian meals on jet airways and those are awesome indeed. I have a wide range of experiences with regards to airplane food, with some of it excellent, and the rest at the very least, edible.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

The best Egg Sandwich I’ve ever tasted was in the British AirwaysLounge (sic) in what I assume would have been Terminal 3.

Delish, delish (though might have been connected with it being my first flight on Concorde!).

Oh, and the Beef carved next to one’s seat was always a pleasure:

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/assets/images/history_and_heritage/60s_fullsize/1960_69_28.jpg

BA4ever
    Participant

One of the top 3 desserts I ever had in my life was a chocolate tart offered by BA, in economy.
    I asked for a second and when I was leaving a very cute steward gave me two more. I gave one to my dad and he told me that it was the best sweet tart he ever had.
    So, IMO, yes they can because I have tasted very good food on board airplanes and I am mostly flying shorthaul and economy. All it takes is a little effort and a few lessons from the past.
    Meals eaten on board Olympic Airways planes when it was owned by Aristotle Onassis are still mentioned when older members of my family reminisce the good, old days of civil aviation and back then the means were less than airline chefs have now.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Aparently the cutlery in First Class on Olympic was gold plated. Onassis expected people to steal it and factored it into the ticket price!

As for airline food now, it comes down to expectations. I would never chose an airline exclusively on food because it’s too variable. That said, I have always enjoyed J class cuisine on BA, QF, EK for long haul and happily given them return business as as result.

Aegean is terrible for short haul Y class. Such tiny servings compared to BA on the same sector. For this reason, where there isn’t much difference in price (for Y class), I choose BA.

Another thing to consider is how good the food is in the lounge before hand. If Aegean had decent food in their lounges I wouldn’t care what they served on board. Same with BA. The T5 food is so good (in my opinion) that I rarely eat on short flights ex LHR regardless of how tasty it looks.

esselle
    Participant

I did hear that those egg sandwiches were particularly good when washed down with a glass of vintage Krug.

scott66
    Participant

esselle:

Very good, I’ve been thinking on similar lines

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SergeantMajor – 26/09/2013 12:39 GMT

That’s how I remember proper Silver Service on Imperial Airways and swooping down over the Great Lakes of eastern Africa in those wonderful flying boats. Took about five days to get there mind, so plenty of time to get your laughing gear around lashings of beef washed down with the odd bottle of Bolly… I don’t ever recall them serving Krug mind you….

Sorry, I’ve just woken from a dream set in “Out of Africa”…

BA4ever
    Participant

Indeed, my great-uncle had a knife and fork and this is the reason why my grandmother declared that she is not flying with him ever again -after the flight he stole the cutlery.

When the first private Greek airlines appeared (Aegean was one of them) they introduced serving food (well, snacks) on board flights within Greece. This was unknown when Olympic was the only carrier; they served horrible coffee and terrible orange juice, not even water!!!

Having the experience of KLM, KLM UK and BA, I was rather surprised by the quality of snacks that were served on board. There was usually a decent size sandwich and a piece of proper dessert. No Kit Kats or Mars bars but apple pie, cherry pie and similar. Based on that, I would expect to see better food in Aegean’s longer flights and it’s a shame that there isn’t.

To be honest, I enjoy shopping on the ground and eating on the plane. Only if I had plenty of time and the terminal food was very good I would consider changing that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls